Creek Salmon Run

idesign

this is a bit off topic ... but I'm honestly glad to see one of these threads still alive and kicking after so many posts/days.

in the past it'd usually be locked by the 2nd page with people calling each other names and all the bashing :clapping: It's nice to have a bit of fun haha.

great job mods :worthy: !!!

this is a bit off topic ... but I'm honestly glad to see one of these threads still alive and kicking after so many posts/days.

in the past it'd usually be locked by the 2nd page with people calling each other names and all the bashing :clapping: It's nice to have a bit of fun haha.

great job mods :worthy: !!!

True Victor, but of all the responses, I think only one person answered his question and he hasn't replied to any of the other posts in this thread. Lol.

So, are they running up Bowmanville creek??? Anyone else??? Lol

Guys does any1 know if salmon has started their run in Bowmanville creek.Pls let me know if you know.Thank you

idesign

Even into September salmon can be caught on Little Cleo spoons or Rapala J-13's off the pier or estuary parts down there.Good fishing.

Like others have said,and so it begins....

Just to add to this reoccurring annual thread a little....If rigged properly fly's can be very effective when run under a float. This eliminates all the horizontal line laying in the river which causes the flossing effect.

When I say rigged properly I mean rigged so the fly doesn't drag bottom under the float. When the fly is dragging bottom the float rig is now transformed into a lethal snagging tool so float fishing with a fly or any other presentation for that matter just a little higher than ground zero is a better option when legit fishing for salmon...

I guess what I'm saying here is any form of fishing for salmon in the river can be either legit or turned into something very wrong all pending on the individual using the pole.

We also got to keep in mind too that every year brings new inexperienced fisherman to the rivers that never fished for salmon or even know what flossing fish means or perhaps don't even own a computer to access all this wonderful information we have to offer so its important to "gently" educate our new river friends when you see this stuff happening. I'm sure you all do already...

Like others have said,and so it begins....

Just to add to this reoccurring annual thread a little....If rigged properly fly's can be very effective when run under a float. This eliminates all the horizontal line laying in the river which causes the flossing effect.

When I say rigged properly I mean rigged so the fly doesn't drag bottom under the float. When the fly is dragging bottom the float rig is now transformed into a lethal snagging tool so float fishing with a fly or any other presentation for that matter just a little higher than ground zero is a better option when legit fishing for salmon...

I guess what I'm saying here is any form of fishing for salmon in the river can be either legit or turned into something very wrong all pending on the individual using the pole.

We also got to keep in mind too that every year brings new inexperienced fisherman to the rivers that never fished for salmon or even know what flossing fish means or perhaps don't even own a computer to access all this wonderful information we have to offer so its important to "gently" educate our new river friends when you see this stuff happening. I'm sure you all do already...

is there any special way to rig with flies under a float??

or basic couple BB shot??

i have some wooly buggers i was told work well... and i havent used em yet...

is there any special way to rig with flies under a float??

or basic couple BB shot??

i have some wooly buggers i was told work well... and i havent used em yet...

Mike,

There's a lot of different ways to rig presentations under a float. Some guys line the rig with shot starting big on top and scale down to the swivel and so on but for the water I fish I like to keep a stealthy presentation which uses very little split shot weight or none at all relying on the weight of the fly to take it to depth all pending on water conditions and if the fly has been tied with its own lead core or not.

Its all about water conditions,silty,deep and fast,deep dead drifts or very shallow.... Thats where your split shot or lack of it will make all the difference in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys some1 confirm if season for chinnok & Coho salmon ends sep 30.i mean fishing north of C.N.R in ZONE 17 in creeks.Most of the creeks has all year season from C.N.R to Lake ON.I checked reg book and it says about pacific salmon only.so can some1 please confirm.thank you

idesign

Hwy 2 to lake ... open until Dec 31 ! (Most tribs) ... and come on fellas .. lets call it like it is ... inside the mouth is legal and fair ... (as long as you dont force it in there) - I dont remember see anything in the regs that says the fish has to want to actually eat it .... MANY fish get caught ONLY because they just want to KEEEEEL it !

http://www.mnr.gov.o...mnr_e001336.pdf

theres the regs.....

If coho and chinook salmon aren't pacific salmon, what are they?

They are lake O salmon - didn't you know salmon from the dirty, ugly pacific ocean swim down around the tip of south america just to come spawn in the pristine G.L tribs? THOSE are the pacific salmon mentioned in the regs...

They are lake O salmon - didn't you know salmon from the dirty, ugly pacific ocean swim down around the tip of south america just to come spawn in the pristine G.L tribs? THOSE are the pacific salmon mentioned in the regs...

Doh! I knew there was a piece to this puzzle I was missing! Those are some smart fish coming all the way over here to spawn!!

I'm so glad that you decided to chime in with your expert opinion. Thanks! :sarcasm:

If I have a question about bolt cutters, I'll ask you.

Learn something about fly fishing fresh fish first. Trust me. It helps you come across like you know what you are talking about. Otherwise, I'll start advising my friends to pick up a 6' bass rod and target some muskie. Have a good night

Hahahahaha, fly fishermen.

How dare you insult the most prestigious, perfect way to fish, ever created?!

Why, holding a regular fishing rod might as well be holding a Dora rod cuz you're not a man until you've whipped a tiny ass fly out into a river 6 million times to MAYBE land a half decent fish, which would have been much more easily and safely caught with a real rod.

I fly fished for 3 years. What a joke.