Muskie Fishing on a spinning reel and medium rod

SirWhite

Lots of saltwater fishermen target saltwater fish in the 20 to 50 lb class with appropiate sized spinning gear and muskie are no match for a saltwater species pound for pound. Don't see any reason why it can't be done.

Appropriate sized spinning gear is the key phrase here....I don't think the OP is talking about going and getting a beefy spinning outfit, but rather, putting heavier line on his all-round medium class combo.

Lots of saltwater fishermen target saltwater fish in the 20 to 50 lb class with appropiate sized spinning gear and muskie are no match for a saltwater species pound for pound. Don't see any reason why it can't be done.

Saltwater fish are much more resilient then Musky as well. The water will still be relatively warm in September which doesn't help. Don't compare 2 completely different scenarios.

You dont bring a knife to a gun fight...

Was wondering if there is a way to beef up my three spinning combos for a September Muskie Rally with the guys. Was thinking to change from a mono line to some kind of braided so I can beef up the strength gear. Does this make sense? Ive also so heard braided line on a spinning reel has many drawbacks. I just want to not worry about missing "that" fish.

Anyone have answers

Noobie needs adviceuntitled88 (Medium).JPG

would you go to a gun fight with a knife, fishing muskies with tackle not suited for muskies, prolongs the fight of a very delicate fish, and will definately increase the chance at mortality, by building up accessive lactic acid, incidental muskie catches will occur with anglers fishing other species, but do not concentrate on muskies without the proper gear

does anybody use a heavy spinning setup for musky?

i personally use a baitcasting setup, but i dont see why you can't buy a large spinning reel and use it on a MH or H rod.

Pflueger "President 6760"

http://www.muskyshop...erPresident6760

I have the 7ft compre muskie spinning rod, with a symetre 4000, spooled with 80lb, use it for pitching jigs, reapers etc, and stick baits, its tough and will handle muskies and get them to the boat quick, its technique specific, and use it about 10% of the time, 90% its baitcasters though, would not recommend it as your first and only muskie stick, as its use is limited

I have a 7 foot Extra Heavy Clarus spinning rod with a 4000 Symetre, and I have caught many musky with it without much dificulty, including a 48 incher. I prefer this rod for flipping plastics on finicky days. I use 50 pound power pro and a 75 pound floro leader with it. Most musky fishing is with the baitcasters and they are by far stronger and have beefier drags.

if you have a medium heavy baitcasting outfit for bass, you could modiy it with 60lb braid and should be able to handle a decent size fish.

even if you set up your medium spinning rod with heavy duty line (braid 60 lb or greater) you should be able to handle fish but run of the risk of two things. Snapping you rod because you can't use the rod as backbone to muscle the fish.....and ruing the drag on your spinning reel.

When I started my muskie fishing, MH to heavy bass tackle will suffice to get you started. Good leaders and 30lb plus line are a must as well. Even with heavy bass tackle, you cannot throw the largest of muskie baits but you can get by tossing bucktails and trolling decent sized plugs and spinners. Plus of course you can use this tackle for bass, pike, lakers etc. No sense spending a small fortune on new gear for a short venture. I try to make sure a lot of my outdoor gear can do double duty if possible since they dont give it away...

I agree that using light tackle is not recommended for several reasons, most important, stress to the fish due to a prolonged battle or possibly losing a fish with the lure still lodged. Damaging your takle is less of an issue to me versus hurting the fish.

If you are serious about muskie fishing then getting more specific equipment is appropriate. It doesnt have to be the most expensive latest and greatest setup, but something designed to handle big fish adequately. As muskie fishing has got more popular, they make a lot more equipment now geared specifically to muskie fishing at various price points. Im sure you can get an entry level outfit from basspro for under $200. I am still using one dedicated muskie stick for practically ALL my muskie fishing, casting, trolling, bucktails, plugs etc and I has served me well. Havent lost or hurt a fish yet and have landed some trophies. Buy the best you can reasonably afford, take care of it and it will serve you well.

Millhouse2020

does anybody use a heavy spinning setup for musky?

i personally use a baitcasting setup, but i dont see why you can't buy a large spinning reel and use it on a MH or H rod.

Pflueger "President 6760"

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/21/page/1/id/1695/name/PfluegerPresident6760

I have a spinning reel setup. Bought it at Bass Pro shop. It is a MH rod (BPS rod), with a BPS spinning reel. Wide mouth spool, so it holds lots of line, and casts extra long (really...really....really long). Had 60 pound Power Pro Braided on it, but have since taken it down to 30 pound.

Caught a 47 inch Muskie with it on Balsam Lake, with zero issues. Fish was in the boat in about 10 minutes (had to let it run a couple of times).

At no point did the rod give any indication it could not handle the fish.

The only downside of the combo is the lures. Before purchasing a MH or H spinning rod, verify how large of lure (weight size) it can handle. A baitcaster can definitely handle lures that are much heavier. Not a big deal when trolling...but I broke a spinning rod casting with a lure that was too heavy for it.

But...at somepoint...I will start experimenting with a baitcaster....as was mentioned in a previous post...to add another tool to the box.

10 minutes is waaay too long.

People should stick to commenting on things they know about, seems to me OFNCs become a lot of people who've caught a fish once upon a time saying what's ok and what isn't - there's some seriously flawed advice in this thread. On the flipside, heed advice from those who've been der done dat.

Reminds me of a couple going out fishing with a guide.. the wife outfishes the hubby. why? cause she actually listens and does to what the guide has to say. Who better to know the water and the fish in it than the guide or, in this case people with years of experience.

10 minutes is waaay too long.

People should stick to commenting on things they know about, seems to me OFNCs become a lot of people who've caught a fish once upon a time saying what's ok and what isn't - there's some seriously flawed advice in this thread. On the flipside, heed advice from those who've been der done dat.

Reminds me of a couple going out fishing with a guide.. the wife outfishes the hubby. why? cause she actually listens and does to what the guide has to say. Who better to know the water and the fish in it than the guide or, in this case people with years of experience.

So...only those with vast amounts of experience need reply?

Everyone's opinion is valuable and appreciated as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with RAF...

There are zero circumstances where it is ok to use a little bass size spinning combo for musky... Unless you get yourself a bigger saltwater spinning outfit or a beefy carp rod or

something like it...

And 10 minutes is deffinately way too long...

Most of my battles are 1-2 minutes tops...

I have also had musky snap 50lb braid like it was 6lb... That's why I stick to 100lb braid...

This is just one of those situations where you should target something else...

Set the hook, a couple runs here, another run there, and bam they're boatside in the cradle.

Without offending the sensibilities of the hardcore musky guys, the power of these fish is way overblown.

The super heavy tackle comes in play when the presentation requires it, not because of the strength of the fish.

In most waters a 11/2oz black/orange bucktail and a well built med/hvy spinning combo with 30lb braid will serve you well.

I landed a 42'' last year trolling in the fall on a 6'6 MH w/ a shimano baitcaster w/65lb braid. No issues on that size fish but repetitive on that setup would wear out the reel pretty quick if its pulling drag all the time.

When you start targeting 40+ inch fish on a regular basis you should really be looking at heavier tackle.

From what I've seen on TV, doing figure 8's at the boat and have the fish smash it so close to the boat would really break light tackle in a hurry.

Having a proper net and tools to get the hooks and fish out of the net is just as important. I bet quite a few fatalities are related to fish being improperly held or stuck in the net out of the water.

Using a medium bass spinning outfit is not a good idea.

Much of what you are using depends upon what body of water you are fishing.

In the Kawarthas the fish are usually 32-40 inches or 5-15 lbs. There really is no reason to get over the top musky gear for the small Kawartha muskies. If you are fishing Georgian Bay, Ottawa River or St. Lawrence R. You might need heavy braids and heavier musky equipment as hitting a world record size fish is possible.

Personally use MH bass baitcasting equipment as i fish Kawarthas exclusively. Still feel like i am effortlessly winching in the fish too quickly.

Where are you fishing?

While it is true that everyone does have a right to an opinion, not everyone's opinion should be considered equal. If you don't agree with me, ask yourself if you would want your mechanic to give you a vasectomy, or your doctor to fix your breaks.

Your absolutely right Mike, everyones opinion IS appreciated, but as often happens around here, someone asks for advice on something, and folks who know nothing about it are offering advice even though it's totally wrong.

RAF is 100% correct in that if you don't know how to properly do something, then perhaps no answer is better than a wrong answer.

I've never river fished or even used one of those fancy type reels that you use, and when someone asks questions about that type of stuff I just sit back and let those in the know, like yourself, answer the question.

As for using a spinning reel for muskies....nope.

So...There you go SirWhite(like the name BTW same last name as me)

To deliberately target Musky without the proper equipment, and not taking the well being of the fish into consideration,is not recommended. Since they are one of the most fragile of freshwater game fish,the majority of the experts here are respectfully against what you have in mind. I suggest you follow this advice and get an introductory level combo, and the tools required to release the fish healthy. Be sure you know how to handle them during release and photos also.Its a whole different ballgame compared to Bass and Walleye fishing.

Trust me, once bitten by the Musky bug, you will be hooked. Give these beasts the respect they deserve and outfit yourself accordingly.

Your absolutely right Mike, everyones opinion IS appreciated, but as often happens around here, someone asks for advice on something, and folks who know nothing about it are offering advice even though it's totally wrong.

RAF is 100% correct in that if you don't know how to properly do something, then perhaps no answer is better than a wrong answer.

I've never river fished or even used one of those fancy type reels that you use, and when someone asks questions about that type of stuff I just sit back and let those in the know, like yourself, answer the question.

As for using a spinning reel for muskies....nope.

It's funny you mention steelheading Lew.

The tackle used by most is really specialized. It helps you catch more fish quickly and efficiently.

However I can honestly say it's not necessary to catch fish.

Myself, I could catch just just as many on a run of the mill 7' spinning rod and reel.

To say no to using a spinning reel for musky, sorry I don't buy it.

It's obviously not the tool most musky guys will choose for a lot of good reasons already mentioned.

But a suitably heavy enough spinning combo will handily suffice for a novice who fishes for them very occasionally. (In my opinion for whatever that's worth, :blush:)

While it is true that everyone does have a right to an opinion, not everyone's opinion should be considered equal. If you don't agree with me, ask yourself if you would want your mechanic to give you a vasectomy, or your doctor to fix your breaks.

Would you as an shade tree mechanic change your oil or do your own brakes? a small minor job like fishing for sub 45" musky in the kawarthas is not the same typ of fishing as going for 50+ on the french day in day out.

I don't think any here has said that spinning gear is the best. But if your headed once, in all likelyhood going to catch a max of 2 or 3 ski's in the kawarthas most likely to bu 45" or less than heavier bass gear will do just fine. If your going out day in and day out then yah heavier musky baitcasting gear is much better suited.

A medium action bass rod though is pretty small and is obviously a poor choice for targeting musky. An accidental hook up is one thing but targeting musky with a medium action rod is not a great idea. The reel offers a couple things when musky fishing. Drag power and cranking power. Drag power in most spinning reels is half that or less of most musky setups. However with my musky reels I have straightened hooks on bigger musky, so my drag is normally set much lower than full. The drag power offered from a 4000 series real is stout enough to hand a sub 40 musky to the point where your not likely to have the drag set to full anyway.

Cranking power is something else, with thinner longer handles on most spinning reels your likely to bend your handle on your spinning reel if your reeling in fish after big fish.

The rod offersyou the backbone to cast the big lures, set the hook and use its length and strength to help pull the fish in without breaking it.

Again an XH flipping stick or big frog rod offer these features in spinning setups for smaller musky.

The ideal scenario is to get the musky into the landing net or boat as fast as possible to lower the ammount of adrenaline produced in the fishes body. Its not actually adrenaline its some other chemical. When the fish is done fighting this chemical actuall puts the fish into a hibernation like coma, and this stresses and can kill the fish. The shorter the fight the better.

Another thing to consider is the out of water experience for the fish. Obviously the less hook damage the less its out of the water the better.

Keep everything in mind and make up your own mind. Musky fishing is very dear to many peoples hearts. If you are going to continue musky fishing then you should really invest in a musky combo. It will save you money on broken bits and pieces as well it will help you land bigger fish faster. A used Diawa Heartland and an Abu 6500 C3 should be able to be had for about 100 to 150 bucks. Someone has a pete mania used for 30 bucks. I'll sell you a diawa heartland heavy action musky rod for 50. then for an extra 20 get some 75 pound power pro and your off to the races for a 100 bucks.

The original question can Spinning gear be used for musky. The answer is yes, if its heavier gear, and if its used for smaller musky. For bigger musky if your stuck on spinning gear your talking about getting into Inshore type rods and at that point you may as well go baitcaster.

I agree with RAF...

There are zero circumstances where it is ok to use a little bass size spinning combo for musky...

I don't think anyone was promoting the use of bass sized spinning equipment, I know I wasn't.

What do the more hardcore musky guys use when a lighter more finesse presentation is required?

I think that there are many large spinning reels that can do the job with heavy line. Geez, they use them in saltwater all the time. So if you're stuck on spinning combos, there are options.

However, like most guys have said, baitcasters are the way to go. They are not that hard to learn if you use a quality reel.

I can't wait to read your report in the fall.

Good luck.

In the Kawarthas the fish are usually 32-40 inches or 5-15 lbs. There really is no reason to get over the top musky gear for the small Kawartha muskies. If you are fishing Georgian Bay, Ottawa River or St. Lawrence R. You might need heavy braids and heavier musky equipment as hitting a world record size fish is possible.

Personally use MH bass baitcasting equipment as i fish Kawarthas exclusively. Still feel like i am effortlessly winching in the fish too quickly.

Where are you fishing?

in a way this is bad advice...

because if he does get a rare 50 inch kawarthas musky he will likely kill one of the biggest and most rare fish in the lake...

on the flipside... if you use small tackle on the st.lawrence river and kill a 50... well there are lots of big fish to take its place...

either way its a bad situation...

if there are decent size musky caught in the water being fished... 40 inch and up.... get the right gear!!

i dont really have all the right gear for salmon fishing safely and properly... so i found someone to take me...

also... if you dont have a musky rod... im willing to bet you dont have

knipex

really long nose pliers

cradle or musky net

replacement hooks

so even if you do battle the fish to the boat properly... you wont have the right tools to deal with the fish safely.... youll get hurt...

I don't think anyone was promoting the use of bass sized spinning equipment, I know I wasn't.

What do the more hardcore musky guys use when a lighter more finesse presentation is required?

well... im assuming he doesnt have big saltwater gear...

and the most finess way i know to fish is live bait.... i use a 7 foot 6 inch st.croix heavy action with 100 pound braid and a cuado 300...

this combo is expensive... but you can get a brand new rod and reel for musky for 150 spooled... gander mountain has musky rods for 50-100 bucks and a cheaper abu ambasador 60-100 bucks and 80lb+ braid

my first "real" musky combo was only 130 bucks spooled... still have it 10years later

Where are you fishing?

in a way this is bad advice...

because if he does get a rare 50 inch kawarthas musky he will likely kill one of the biggest and most rare fish in the lake...

if there are decent size musky caught in the water being fished... 40 inch and up.... get the right gear!!

i dont really have all the right gear for salmon fishing safely and properly... so i found someone to take me...

also... if you dont have a musky rod... im willing to bet you dont have

knipex

really long nose pliers

cradle or musky net

replacement hooks

Dude, i have fished Kawarthas for musky hardcore for almost thirty years.

I think i know what i am talking about many 100's of musky later.

An assumption of not having knipex, long needle nose pliers, cradle, etc... is wrong.

What do they say about assumptions.....

Edited by ehg