nanofil - opinions pls

Cudz

Think the main concern with it on baitcasters is "line dig" on the spool.

we have a winner! You sir are correct. they say that it is to small for a baitcaster. I would hazzard a guess that if all goes well with this then we will see a higher LB test for baitcaster applications.

Well i spooled up my spinning reel. Added 24 in of flouro to counter the opaqueness. I will try and put it through some fish tonite, and let you know what i thinkGonefishing.gif

don't forget to do a few more wraps around in you do a uni-uni knot. Oh and let me know how it works out as I'm thinking of taking the line off my worm rod to try it out while I wait on my new combo... :huh:

FYI, Whitby North store has 12LB all the way down to 6LB (maybe 4 but I wasn't looking for 4LB) in stock. Not a lot of each, just a few of each. The line feels great too.... B)

Bought some this morning and plan to use it for ice fishing. The easy casting will be wasted on me. The line is very white, not stretchy, smooth, small dia, and strong. I like the superlines for jigging but not so much for casting spinners etc for trout and salmon. Some stretch is good particularly if your rods are fast. Mostly personal taste and application I guess.

Ok, here goes.Spooled 10lb Nanofil on my Pflueger Asaro, lite spinning reel on a 6.5ft Fenwick HMX lite rod. Started with a Rapala DT lure

Sensitivity is very good.I could feel my lure tapping bottom, just like with Braid.No stretch at all.

It is however, very visible in the water.You may want to do like me and put about 2ft of fluro or mono leader on it especially if you fish clear waters.

I feel it added 10-15 feet to my cast,but thats hard to judge with precision. Changed to a 1/4 oz jig with mistertwister curlytail,and thats where i stopped being impressed.

The line left the spool very smoothly, with no noticeable drag going through the guides.There was no noise of the line rubbing on the guides, and the line stacked up evenly on the retrieve.When my jig hit bottom, and the line slacked a bit, the line coiled up.It Definately DOES have spool memory,like every other Berkley line i have used.To me anyway, coiled line means way too much slack in the line during hookset.I'm not talking a wavey line here. It was a tite, spiral twist when the line was slack.Now remember, i just spooled up a few hours before.Imagine a season on your spool.

I didnt catch any fish, but it muscled through a couple of snags really well.I really yanked hard to see if the strength was comparable to braid. It was.

On a scale of 1-10 i rate it at a 6. Low, because of the Berkley trademark spool memory.

I still prefer mono on my spinning tackle.The best mono i have used this year is Suffix Siege, 10lb.Smooth, as sensitive as any mono i have used, and NO line memory at all.

All in all, not my favorite line. I will most likely replace it on my reel with the same mono i just removed,Siege, the next time i use this rod and reel combo.

Ok, here goes.Spooled 10lb Nanofil on my Pflueger Asaro, lite spinning reel on a 6.5ft Fenwick HMX lite rod. Started with a Rapala DT lure

Sensitivity is very good.I could feel my lure tapping bottom, just like with Braid.No stretch at all.

It is however, very visible in the water.You may want to do like me and put about 2ft of fluro or mono leader on it especially if you fish clear waters.

I feel it added 10-15 feet to my cast,but thats hard to judge with precision. Changed to a 1/4 oz jig with mistertwister curlytail,and thats where i stopped being impressed.

The line left the spool very smoothly, with no noticeable drag going through the guides.There was no noise of the line rubbing on the guides, and the line stacked up evenly on the retrieve.When my jig hit bottom, and the line slacked a bit, the line coiled up.It Definately DOES have spool memory,like every other Berkley line i have used.To me anyway, coiled line means way too much slack in the line during hookset.I'm not talking a wavey line here. It was a tite, spiral twist when the line was slack.Now remember, i just spooled up a few hours before.Imagine a season on your spool.

I didnt catch any fish, but it muscled through a couple of snags really well.I really yanked hard to see if the strength was comparable to braid. It was.

On a scale of 1-10 i rate it at a 6. Low, because of the Berkley trademark spool memory.

I still prefer mono on my spinning tackle.The best mono i have used this year is Suffix Siege, 10lb.Smooth, as sensitive as any mono i have used, and NO line memory at all.

All in all, not my favorite line. I will most likely replace it on my reel with the same mono i just removed,Siege, the next time i use this rod and reel combo.

Thats a bummer. Wicked report though, many thanks!!!!

There is nothing worse than being excited about a new line, taking all the line off and replacing it, only to remove the new line and put back on the old line, lol.

Edited by manitoubass2

Thanks for the detailed report, I was intrigued by this line, as I have to fill a spool on a 4000 spirex for some upcoming pier fishing, the coiling line makes me nervous of some serious line twist issues using spoons.... maybe I will just throw some mono on there, its cheaper anyways!

D

I've had nothing but problems with my Berkley lines. I also had problems with PowerPro and Fireline Crystal, but nowhere near as much as the Trilene stuff. But I kinda like the stretch in mono line for whatever reason. I'll be giving Suffix Siege a shot next. Thanks for that info. My CT didn't have NanoFil in stock anyhow.

I've had nothing but problems with my Berkley lines. I also had problems with PowerPro and Fireline Crystal, but nowhere near as much as the Trilene stuff. But I kinda like the stretch in mono line for whatever reason. I'll be giving Suffix Siege a shot next. Thanks for that info. My CT didn't have NanoFil in stock anyhow.

Hey Dana,

For whatever reason, Siege is a bit harder to find. Not everyone carrying Suffix braid, likes to carry thier monodunno.gif You can get it at BPS.

I have found Suffix Elite at CTC, and it is just as good as Siege, but only availble in clear..Siege is available in 4 or 5 colors.

MY local CT didn't receive ant either in HUntsville or Bracebridge. Got some rain checks gonna give it a try when it comes in. AS far a line memory on trilene mono I have used it for 25 years and never had any issue at all with this, here's hoping I never do.

Ian

MY local CT didn't receive ant either in HUntsville or Bracebridge. Got some rain checks gonna give it a try when it comes in. AS far a line memory on trilene mono I have used it for 25 years and never had any issue at all with this, here's hoping I never do.

Ian

I think possibly the memory issue could be related to spool size. Coming off the large diameter of the shipping spool, it seems straight enough. Loading a small diameter ultra lite reel may be the reason it gains memory.Never tried mono on a bigger spinning reel, so i cant say, but i have never found a mono other than Suffix, that doesn`t have line memory, and for me at least, Berkley lines have been the worst.

I used it today. Long story short, for me it was no better than pp. It casts well but at one point it all bird nested and I ended up losing about 10 yards of line due to the tangle. It also broke off at the fluoro leader knot once. Luckily I was throwing a floating lure and was able to retrieve it floating on the surface. 6 out of 10 is accurate.

I only bought one spool and will probably stick with pp.

it is very very white as well. Colour says mist but it should say snow.

Edited by Cudz

There has been a lot of chat about this line on US sites, where Nanofil has been available for several months. Most of the feedback is positive, but there's general agreement that the advertising claims are overblown...Nothing new about that is there?...HAHAHA.

Basically, this is a fused line. A number of fibres are lined-up and melted together to form a single strand. Earlier on this thread I suggested that this sounded like an updated and improved Fireline Crystal. Nothing I have read so far tells me any different.

In the past fused lines have been stiffer than braids, when new, and harder to knot. Some stiffness is desirable for spinning. A little "body" allows the line to follow the bail-wire onto the line roller more easily.

Old Fireline was way underrated in strength. Fresh Fireline ten pound test broke at closer to fifteen pounds! This old line might have been purposely underrated because the paint finish soon came off and the line started fraying almost immediately.

A Berkley Rep. said that Nanofil line is smaller in diameter than Fireline of the same (stated) strength and they use a different process than with the old stuff. He said that under magnification that the micro fibres could still be seen...I took that to mean seen under an outer "skin."

He talked about their "coating" process and indicated that they are looking at introducing coloured line in the future. In my opinion that also indicates there is a top-coat on the line because we all know that paints and dyes won't stick to Spectra or Dyneema fibres. Further evidence of a skin came from folks who normally darkened the end of their braided lines using Magic Markers. According to these first reports, marker ink doesn't work on Nanofil. Another guy said that a short section of his Nanofil went flat and showed signs of internal twisting?!? Again, this makes me think of a separate outer coating.

It would appear that Berkley has plasticized or melted the outer surface of this line creating a skin...However it was done, the upside is that it is very slick, and claims of slightly longer casts seem to be a fact. The downside of this slickness is knot slippage. If it's just a glaze, the question is; "How long does this coating last?"

After reading through many pages of angler comments and several articles from writers, who received early samples to test, I have to conclude that most of the complaints are probably not the fault of the line.

Knot failure is most often due to bad knot tying or poor knot selection. The Nanofil box comes with a couple of strong knot suggestions. Those who complained that their favourite knots slipped have no case. These were self-inflicted wounds.

We should all understand by now that line twist is a fact of life with spinning tackle. Many baits tend to twirl on the retrieve and compound these inherent problems. Braid, by it's very nature, can absorb a lot of twist...Single filaments can not. According to Berkley, Nanofil is a single filament. That means that it should be expected to twist-up just as fast and just as badly as mono or fluoro.

There is a learning curve with all new equipment and fishing line is no exception. Folks who try this line and stay with it may come to swear by it. Others who find it no improvement, or too much of a challenge, will head quickly back to what they used before. I will give Nanofil a try, because it just might turn out to be the next evolutionary step. A dedicated Spinning Line...A line providing the strength, small diameter and sensitivity of braid, with the slick finish and body of mono.

Garry2R's

I fished with it all day yesterday and so far I'm not sure what to think of it. It does cast a BIT farther then the 20lb spiderwire I use most times but I'm not finding any advantages to it yet. Time will tell.

I am assuming you are tying the Nonofil directly to the Lure/Jig?

Thanks

Rick

I was fishing simcoe so I was running a 6ft fluoro leader. I imagine the others might have been tying direct. I have heard that nano has bad knot strength so Berkley recommeds a double polamar knot. I hsven't tied directly to lure because this line is super super visible, even underwater.

I was at CTC today and picked up(picked up) a spool of six lb. Looked at it,felt it. Seemed like a very nice smooth line,but like you said,if your going to tie on a floro leader,it,s not much better then the rest.

I put it back in the rack.

Some float fishing guys have been using Fireline Crytal with good results. Especially with hook sets on those long drifts. Now Knowing some properties of the Nanofil. It might be worth a try on the river this fall. It floats, it's highly visible above water, visibility below won't be an issue because most guys use leaders with a micro swivel, it casts well, so the only thing needed to be done is back up on the drag a little and don't horse in the fish. I wonder with its' slick coating if it would ice up with cold temp. For 15 buck, I'll give it a try.

Haven`t read anything yet that makes me want to buy a spool, I am the only guy left on the planet that still likes and uses mono? :Gonefishing:

No you're not. I've never taken a cast with anything other than mono, and probably never will.

I was at CTC today and picked up(picked up) a spool of six lb. Looked at it,felt it. Seemed like a very nice smooth line,but like you said,if your going to tie on a floro leader,it,s not much better then the rest.

I put it back in the rack.

I did the same thing, today, Brian. Might give it a shot at some point, but, not quite yet.