Dealer Installed

wkrp

A friend who had bought a new boat had the dealer install his kicker motor. The gas tank for the kicker was installed in a unventilated compartment in between two batteries. I mentioned to my friend that this was not a safe install and should talk to the dealer which he did and he was told that it was perfectly safe. I totally disagreed and at my coaxing and help he found a new location in the boat for the gas. Am I being over cautious or is this dealer correct. I believe that he has been driving around with a bomb, and the dealer should be investigated.

I guess it depends how "unventilated" or sealed we're talking about. Even the batteries should be vented to open air to allow the escape of hydrogen gas while charging. Placing a gas tank in there that has to have a vent open to function, that might be getting a "little" tacky. One good spark and he'll be doing the backstroke if he's lucky. We had one on Simcoe this spring that didn't follow the 5 minute bilge fan rule...boom! I'd be looking for a new dealer.

If the batteries are their then it is vented. The hydrogen gas released from the batteries as they charge and discharge would build up and then you have the bomb.

Art

Hey Art.....are there not batteries that don't need venting like the Optima or AGM Batteries... :dunno:

Bob

Hey Art.....are there not batteries that don't need venting like the Optima or AGM Batteries... :dunno:

Bob

Still, if there's a vented gas tank and fumes lay low, a spark from a loose connection could make for a pretty good launch. Why temp an unscheduled lift off.

If the dealer says its okay, in which I dont agree with. Have the insurance company and fire department make an assesment on the set up. The insurance comp will be the ones forking up the cash, and the fire assessing why it went BABOOM!

Just my 1.93 american cents worth.

Still, if there's a vented gas tank and fumes lay low, a spark from a loose connection could make for a pretty good launch. Why temp an unscheduled lift off.

That's my point.....IF those batteries are Optima or AGM that area might not be vented....but I don't know for sure if those batteries require venting.

dads old boat went boom one time...

his boat had a bench seat going across the boat... red gas tank in one side and starter battery in the other side...

filled up the boat with gas to go perch fishing... went to start the motor and BOOM!!!

blew the seat off the boat... luckily his partner that day was grabbing the water bottles when it happened...

then after checking out what happened... one of the wing nuts had loosened and he figures that caused a spark...

check your gear on a regular basis...

dads old boat went boom one time...

his boat had a bench seat going across the boat... red gas tank in one side and starter battery in the other side...

filled up the boat with gas to go perch fishing... went to start the motor and BOOM!!!

blew the seat off the boat... luckily his partner that day was grabbing the water bottles when it happened...

then after checking out what happened... one of the wing nuts had loosened and he figures that caused a spark...

check your gear on a regular basis...

I was reading recently that you shouldn't use the wing nuts on a battery as you don't get a proper connection and they can work loose. If using them, use pliers to tighten them it said in the article. I guess it might have some merit after reading your story Musky Mike.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/tp1332/pdf/hr/tp1332e.pdf

This is the Canadian builders code for small crafts look at page 69 or 6.5 it has the regulation for all small crafts manufactured or custom built on battery ventilation.

Quoted "6.5 Battery Spaces

6.5.1 Spaces containing batteries shall provide for the overboard ventilation of hydrogen gas

released by the battery.

Information Note:

“Sealed”, “maintenance-free” batteries, or batteries with immobilized electrolyte (gel batteries) also need

to be vented outboard."

Art

That's my point.....IF those batteries are Optima or AGM that area might not be vented....but I don't know for sure if those batteries require venting.

They do require venting...before I got my CTEK charger and was using a junk charger on the Optima it was actually cooking out gas...they have release valves.