Guide expectations

"Im wondering what kinda fishing you expect when you hire a guide...

How many fish does it take to keep you happy...

So if you were to hire me for one of these fish...

How many would satisfy you?

And how many to get you to come back?"

This is the question asked.

I think Mike has done the research, and knows what is necessary to become a guide. He just needs to know if he has the 'Numbers' to be successful at it.Gonefishing.gif

I think most of us have a driving desire to be helpful when asked, that is the reason for all of the advice given Mike. We would all like you to be successful.

like is said... i appreciate all the advice...

but i asked a question and most of the answers were people telling me how hard every other aspect of guiding is... other than the original question...

ive guided before and the people had an awsome day and came back again... i was like 15 years old!!!

ive also had days where the weather and fish would not give me the slightest break... and i busted my butt and covered incredible amounts of water to try and catch a fish without results... the weather was making the paying customers quite before i would... and thanked me for the really hard work and effort i put in in the bad situation we had that day...

like people have told me before... apples and oranges

if i was opening a fruit company and asked advice on apples and everyone talked about oranges... i wouldnt have the answer i was looking to get...

but thanks for ALL of the replies... i did give me enough to consider...

Congratulation you passed the audition you are now a guide!!! :Gonefishing::P

Limit walleye, at least 1 muskie in the boat and a follow or two.

Since everybody seems to think you want their opinion, I will join the party and add mine as well. wallbash.gif

I am never one for reinventing the wheel. My guess is you will find your answer much quicker if you actually phoned a few guides working different waters than you plan to work. According to this thread all guides are virtual Dale Carnegie's and would tell you exactly what you want to know.

Good luck

Rick

And here's my honest answer...

Im wondering what kinda fishing you expect when you hire a guide...

When I hire a guide, I don't expect the fishing to change. Alone or with a guide the fishing will be the same. The experience will be different.

How many fish does it take to keep you happy...

I really don't think that folks' degree of happiness is measured in numbers of fish.

I'm asking this because I'm gunna be getting into guiding and I wanna know how close I am to being good enough...

The numbers of fish the YOU have caught have no bearing on how good a guide you are. Prospective clients probably don't care how many fish YOU caught.

So basically... My walleye average size is about 3 pounds

Prospective out of town clients don't know what the average walleye weighs in Lake St Francis so it's irrelevant.

And musky average is 38-40 inches

I believe the smallest legal fish in your zone is 48"

And carp average is 17-20 pounds

I don't know about carp but you probably won't need a Ranger to catch them.

So if you were to hire me for one of these fish...

How many would satisfy you?

Again, it really has nothing to do with numbers of fish.

And how many to get you to come back?

If you were a real loudmouthed butthole but you managed to get a client a limit of really nice walleye...do you think he'd book with you again? No, I don't think so

Mike, I'm being honest here.

You may very well be an excellent guide but you'll never succeed by simply saying what you've caught. Take some folks fishing....put THEM onto fish and catching a fish then passing the rod off to a client might be a little dicey to a CO.

Take a run at it Mike and good luck to you.

Talk about some amazing advice in this thread. I wish I had some of this guidance when I started my guide business. Instead I learnt the hard way through trail and error.

Mike, here is the down and dirty. Plain and simple....

There are a handful of guys I know who are true "Pros". Sure they can catch fish, but more important, they make you feel like an ole fish'n buddy after the day is done. That was always my goal guiding and itmade us quite successful.

Basing this whole business venture on average fish boated is very very bad business.

So, if you are prepared to invest thousands before seeing a return, have taken small business courses, ready to take all the courses and get your proper/required licenses, have 5 or 6 back up plans for each body of water to guarantee fish, diverse quality gear and have above average people skills, give it go.

But to be honest, really research the COSTS. It will open your eyes. I guarantee it.

Not trying to discourage, just sharing my experienced viewpoint.

Edited by Harrison

Thnx guys...

And I don't see why a CO would care if I pass off my rod... Great lakes trollers count themselves and pass off their rods...

At least my guide did

Are there not different rules on the GreatLakes. And yes they are breaking the rules when they "party" fish.

Are there not different rules on the GreatLakes. And yes they are breaking the rules when they "party" fish.

there is no law against passing a rod...however the fish caught becomes part of both peoples daily limit

Not that I don't appreciate the WISDOM here...

But I asked a simple question and only one person answered...

I know you need to be a nice guy

I know you need insurance

I just wanna know

If I guide 2 customers for walleye...

2-5lbs... How many fish would you expect to get ...

If I took 2 people for musky... How many do I have to boat? 38-40 inch average ...?

Well the fact that you are asking this illustrates that you are missing an important point a lot of people are mentioning. You must have good people skills and be able to implicitly understand what people need. Asking about averages any expectations is useless because there is so much variability. If you took me out and we got skunked I would still be happy if you showed me some new and useful techniques. However many people only fish a couple of times a year and just want to get into fish and don't care for learning techniques because they won't be using the knowledge. Correctly judging who falls into which category is where your people skills come in.

Your best bet is probably to go out with a guide in the area and observe how they go about things. Marc Thorpe is one of the best guides in that area and obviously knows the best. The best fishermen in the world hire him. Check out the "Next Bite" link you provided. I remember years ago he posted a report where he caught 58" and 57" muskies up that way guiding Aaron Shirley. Mike Lazarus is another one that comes to mind.

Might be good to learn smallmouth fishing. Think that Lake St. Francis holds the record for Canadian tournament weigh in for a bass tournament.

Good luck with this undertaking anyways.

I seem to get his point too

he asked a question and most people want to give him advise ..he appreciates the unsolicited advise..however it is not what he asked

if I ask the best driving directions to get to timbuctoo, he would hope to get some directions

while telling him how fast to drive and what oil to use may be helpful it isn't what he asked...I thought he was being quite gracious

but most times I see things slightly different then most

I seem to get his point too

he asked a question and most people want to give him advise ..he appreciates the unsolicited advise..however it is not what he asked

if I ask the best driving directions to get to timbuctoo, he would hope to get some directions

while telling him how fast to drive and what oil to use may be helpful it isn't what he asked...I thought he was being quite gracious

but most times I see things slightly different then most

Not this time Terry, you hit the nail right on the nogginthumbsup_anim.gif

I wish I had some of this guidance when I started my guide business.

Same here.....

Sorry Mike didn't mean to offer advice that you already knew.....

Anyways to answer your question.

Limit of walleyes I guess if I was after meat....but for me just a consistant day, maybe a new technique and a trophy never hurts...I don't musky fish so I would be happy with just 1 or 2 hookups.

Good luck dude, guiding CAN be a blast!

TDunn

Was looking at the business/legal side of guiding on St. Francis and this is what you'll need.

1) SVOP

2)Med A3

3) First aid

4) VHF license

5) 1 million insurance per person in the boat (Commercial insurance)

I hope it's not too discouraging but you really have to cover your butt with everything you do nowadays. Provincial police and MNR are mandated to enforce these things and it can be financially crippling to be found at fault. Do your homework, get into guiding slow and steady as a profession and you'll do fine.