Guide expectations

It is a tough gig dude!

Networking has been key for me so far and personality is a huge factor.

I'm no full time guide but I do it with my time off from work and so far I've really enjoyed it. There is just something about watching a client reel in a fish with that "look" on thier face.

As far as expectations go.....well I have had guys expecting 40"+ pike all day just because they were going to be in Canada. I explained over the phone before they even came up that they might have to drive another 20-30 hours north to find fishing like that.

After I explained where we were going and what I expected from the day. They had no problems and booked with me.....Don`t Bull them on sizes but stay confident with your abilities to produce.

Promotion is huge.....thats all Im going to say about that...Get your name out there.

Get to know the different birds and animals of the area, historic events that have happened....just stuff that can keep conversation and interest flowing throughout the day.

Oh, and I don`t usually fish with guests unless we are really struggling for fish or they just simply want me too.

Make the trip special for them. Same as you would want if you hired a guide.

Good luck man,

TDunn

It is a tough gig dude!

Networking has been key for me so far and personality is a huge factor.

I'm no full time guide but I do it with my time off from work and so far I've really enjoyed it. There is just something about watching a client reel in a fish with that "look" on thier face.

As far as expectations go.....well I have had guys expecting 40"+ pike all day just because they were going to be in Canada. I explained over the phone before they even came up that they might have to drive another 20-30 hours north to find fishing like that.

After I explained where we were going and what I expected from the day. They had no problems and booked with me.....Don`t Bull them on sizes but stay confident with your abilities to produce.

Promotion is huge.....thats all Im going to say about that...Get your name out there.

Get to know the different birds and animals of the area, historic events that have happened....just stuff that can keep conversation and interest flowing throughout the day.

Oh, and I don`t usually fish with guests unless we are really struggling for fish or they just simply want me too.

Make the trip special for them. Same as you would want if you hired a guide.

Good luck man,

TDunn

Just curious Tyler does your part time guiding require you to be licensed and or insured?

Im wondering what kinda fishing you expect when you hire a guide...

How many fish does it take to keep you happy...

I'm asking this because I'm gunna be getting into guiding and I wanna know how close I am to being good enough...

So basically... My walleye average size is about 3 pounds

And musky average is 38-40 inches

And carp average is 17-20 pounds

So if you were to hire me for one of these fish...

How many would satisfy you?

And how many to get you to come back?

Thnx...

Mike

I too agree with BillM, its not about catching fish but the learning curve while out on the water, the best guide in the world has good and bad days and if the fish don't want it you ain't gonna catch them. The most important thing is the teaching of what gear and techniques to use and what baits to use and why.

Just curious Tyler does your part time guiding require you to be licensed and or insured?

I don't guide from a boat. Ive only done a couple trips from a boat

All my guiding is done on the river banks or on the ice.

This might be some interest to you muskymike.

OSGA

I make my clients sign a waiver.....Im not responsible for injury/lost or stolen goods....all that fun stuff....but if I was guiding out of a boat I would have full coverage no doubt about it!

edit- mike remember to get a business ###....gotta register with the government forsure!

Edited by TDunn

Ok.

I'll second that.. 8 days with Thorpe and I convinced him to make a total of 3 casts while we ate our lunches and that took a lot of demanding that he do so on my part. And the one year we were on a weed bed that put many MANY +48" fish in the boat a couple of those days. We made the Mania "Best Days" video look tame.... :D and he still wouldn't pick up a rod no matter how much I tried to get him to do so.

The secret of guiding is you need to love the thrill of the hunt, the skill required to be successful and seeing other people happy to boat some of their best fish of their lives. Willing to share tips and tricks and also the unfortunate side of needing to be able to put up with some real :asshat: while still smiling.

I'm a low maintenance customer;

A double double @ the dock (double Baileys + double Baileys & any coffee except TH)

A really hot net girl. Preferably between 29 & 33 years of age.

A few good drams of 15 yr. scotch and a Cohiba after the day is done.

And some pictures (any pictures) of some fish to show Mrs. Slayer that I was really fishing that day.

Slayer

I'm a low maintenance customer;

A double double @ the dock (double Baileys + double Baileys & any coffee except TH)

A really hot net girl. Preferably between 29 & 33 years of age.

A few good drams of 15 yr. scotch and a Cohiba after the day is done.

And some pictures (any pictures) of some fish to show Mrs. Slayer that I was really fishing that day.

Slayer

rofl2.gif .....you are a NUT rofl2.gif

Not that I don't appreciate the WISDOM here...

But I asked a simple question and only one person answered...

I know you need to be a nice guy

I know you need insurance

I just wanna know

If I guide 2 customers for walleye...

2-5lbs... How many fish would you expect to get ...

If I took 2 people for musky... How many do I have to boat? 38-40 inch average ...?

I just wanna know

If I took 2 people for musky... How many do I have to boat? 38-40 inch average ...?

Okay... if you can't pick the answers out of all the great replies you received... if you took 2 people out for Muskie you don't have to boat any if you are truly doing your darndest to put them on fish, with the main interest doing so and not making money.

38-40"
.. unless I'm on Scugog you may as well be fishing pike !

I just wanna know

Muskie Mike ... you do realize that every single person you ask or take out will have a different answer for this, right?

For me:

When I'm paying someone to guide or charter, I dont expect them to be fishing -

I do expect to boat some fish - and at least as big as I can do by myself in comparable conditions.

I also expect to come away with some knowledge I didnt have before.

oh and what pikeslayer said would do too if the fish werent biting that day.... rolleyes.gif

I just wanna know

Okay Mike. Sorry for the hijack, but all 'wisdom' aside;

I will speak to the walleye aspect as I have no desire to hunt musky as I would not harvest them. I have been on a BOQ guided charter previously and have two more planned for this late fall. First is a single day with three other fisherman. For this trip, I would expect that we all finish the day with 2-3 regulation keepers each. My second trip is a two day/two night solo trip. I have planned with the guide to cull and limit out on day one. Day two will strictly be a 'trophy hunt' targeting a new PB's, strictly catch and release. For the two day booking, I expect the guide to educate and allow me to participate in lure/location selection and be actively involved in rigging. Sharing a scotch and cigar would be a bonus.

Hope this helps.

Slayer

Walleye, i would like at least a limit. Muskie, 1 nice one would be excellent, but i would say 2.

Just from what i have seen, you definately know your water.

That makes 2 answers

And I'm not knocking any advice here... And I know most of you guys can tell if your guide is working hard or not...

I am just trying to see if the quality and quantity is good enough

I used to have a web site about my Brook Trout fishing. I did it just for fun because I liked computers and I liked Brook Trout fishing, and in fact my site became #1 on pretty much every search engine at one time if you searched "Brook Trout". I didn't offer any guiding on my site but the offers came all the time. I never took one client out because my fishing locations were sacred to me. I could have had $500.00+ days and $1500.00+ weekends, but it wasn't worth it to me. I'd simply be selling my locations. I have seen a few people guiding near where I fish and I have seen those clients back fishing on their own several times. Fortunately the guide that took them out didn't have a clue what he was doing, despite the $1000.00 contract that was sitting on the seat of his vehicle in plain view, and the client never caught a fish with the guide or when he returned on his own. My situation is unique I suppose. I fish what is arguably the best drive to Brook Trout fishing on the planet. Will I sell my spots to a stranger for $1000.00? No. But I'll take a friend for free.

Okay Mike. Sorry for the hijack, but all 'wisdom' aside;

I will speak to the walleye aspect as I have no desire to hunt musky as I would not harvest them. I have been on a BOQ guided charter previously and have two more planned for this late fall. First is a single day with three other fisherman. For this trip, I would expect that we all finish the day with 2-3 regulation keepers each. My second trip is a two day/two night solo trip. I have planned with the guide to cull and limit out on day one. Day two will strictly be a 'trophy hunt' targeting a new PB's, strictly catch and release. For the two day booking, I expect the guide to educate and allow me to participate in lure/location selection and be actively involved in rigging. Sharing a scotch and cigar would be a bonus.

Hope this helps.

Slayer

thank you...

For me:

When I'm paying someone to guide or charter, I dont expect them to be fishing -

I do expect to boat some fish - and at least as big as I can do by myself in comparable conditions.

I also expect to come away with some knowledge I didnt have before.

oh and what pikeslayer said would do too if the fish werent biting that day.... rolleyes.gif

for walleye... they style of fishing i do.... trolling iregular contours... i have to have a line in... mostly for feel... i would pass of my rod when i got a fish tho...

Okay... if you can't pick the answers out of all the great replies you received... if you took 2 people out for Muskie you don't have to boat any if you are truly doing your darndest to put them on fish, with the main interest doing so and not making money. .. unless I'm on Scugog you may as well be fishing pike !

thats some big talk... trashing a 40 "average"

im not saying all i catch are 40inchers... its my average so far this year... this is the first time ive kept a record of all the musky a catch..

Sorry Mike, you asked a question and are getting lots of great advise.. you just don't appear to be taking any of it. If your boat ethics match the current balking to take any advise offered (from you asking a question) I dont' think any would find a day on the water enjoyable with you. I know feelings are hard to type, so I may be right off base there....

Sorry Mike, you asked a question and are getting lots of great advise.. you just don't appear to be taking any of it. If your boat ethics match the current balking to take any advise offered (from you asking a question) I dont' think any would find a day on the water enjoyable with you. I know feelings are hard to type, so I may be right off base there....

like is said... i appreciate all the advice...

but i asked a question and most of the answers were people telling me how hard every other aspect of guiding is... other than the original question...

ive guided before and the people had an awsome day and came back again... i was like 15 years old!!!

ive also had days where the weather and fish would not give me the slightest break... and i busted my butt and covered incredible amounts of water to try and catch a fish without results... the weather was making the paying customers quite before i would... and thanked me for the really hard work and effort i put in in the bad situation we had that day...

like people have told me before... apples and oranges

if i was opening a fruit company and asked advice on apples and everyone talked about oranges... i wouldnt have the answer i was looking to get...

but thanks for ALL of the replies... i did give me enough to consider...