how to keep cool on boat

skinny

Ok I will be on my boat all day next sat for the fish A thon . my boat is all open and I'm looking for ideas on how to create some shade or relief while out there I had thought about trying to find one of those easyup tops i could put up on it for the day but I cannot go buy one for sure (need to get another battery for trolling motor)

looking for ideas

I can not take the heat/sun like I use to

I sometimes drag my foot in the water when slow trolling, it helps to cool me down...but it makes the fish puke...LOL

I have a small towel that I soak in the water and put on my head then my hat over top of it, looks stupid but sure cools me off

a clip on umbrella can help too but you have to keep repositioning it to block the sun

Like Terry said..

I can't take the heat like I used to either and I'm only 50....

I have a tilley hat I soak in water and put in back on my head. The towel trick works as well and who cares what it looks like Terry. Anything is better than sun stroke at our age. Also I've been know to pull over on occasion and go for a quick swim. It can add hours to your day on the water....Note of caution..Be sure to reapply your sun screen if you end up going for a swim.

The sun is pretty intense up here where there is a giant hole in the ozone so I use the wet hat trick and also wear a wide brimmed hat. Another way I use to cool off when it's stupid hot (like in Ontario) is to stop the boat, turn off and lower the engine (I have a 90) then jump overboard!!! I use the cavitation plate as a swim step to get back in the boat. If it's like 30*+ just leave your clothes on and you'll stay cool for quite a while. :thumbsup_anim:

The sun is pretty intense up here where there is a giant hole in the ozone so I use the wet hat trick and also wear a wide brimmed hat. Another way I use to cool off when it's stupid hot (like in Ontario) is to stop the boat, turn off and lower the engine (I have a 90) then jump overboard!!! I use the cavitation plate as a swim step to get back in the boat. If it's like 30*+ just leave your clothes on and you'll stay cool for quite a while. :thumbsup_anim:

Great minds :D ....I usually put on a life jacket and float around on my back with a nice cold can of ice tea in a cooler....Hat and sun glasses on of course and 60 sun block...The water is the worst of places to get a bad sun burn...

The loose fitting sunblocker shirts are good on a hot day too.

They block alot of the heat and with open arm pits and back flaps the air can circulate and help keep you comfortable.

I have a couple and one of them even has a very high collar to keep the sun off the back of your neck.

A wide brimmed hat is also invaluable on days like these.

Lew, my dad will usually burn really bad if exposed to the sun, I bought him one of those Buff headware sun protector things. He can pretty much wrap his entire head with it and it protects all those places you miss with sun screen, lol. He says it's also pretty cool as well.

You see alot of the guys fishing the flats down south wear them.

Go to the dollar store and get some empty spray bottles. Fill them with tap water and keep them in the fridge and then put them in the cooler with your drinks when you go. Spray yourself whenever you need to, head to toe, and you'll stay pretty cool.

You can also take off your shirt, soak it in the water, then put it back on.

You can also take off your shirt, soak it in the water, then put it back on.

Let me know where yer fishin the next time its hotwhistling.gif

Sorry......blush.gif Couldn't resist...............angel.png

Bill, I've seen some of the guys from the southern fishing shows wearing those head wraps and they look like they'd do a good job.

Chris, the shirts I have with the arm pit and back vents, along with the high collar came from Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Toronto. Excellent shirts that I've probably had for at least 10 years.

I also wear another shirt made by Columbia that is very light and comfortable and has a full width vent in the back. I got that one from CTC for something like $50.

I fastened a piece of PVC plumbing pipe to a platform/box I have for the gas tank, slip a cheap beach umbrella into it and there ya go, instant shade and coolness. Wife loves it! Works fine as long as it's not too windy and the boat is either achored, drifting or trolling. Neat thing is that the shade moves around as the boat moves about giving the bow passenger and the tiller a chance at some shade.

Just rig up some sun umbrellas for your boat. Use a bucket of sand/grave/ cement if you need a weighted stand for it. Extend it with PVC pipe.

I use PVC pipe in my tinny for sun umbrella and makeshift bimini top that rolls back. Simple, cheap and lightweight.

Would using the cav plate as a "ladder" add any extra stress to the transom?