A wet and wild bass opener. (Plus a big big surprise)

BillM

Rain or shine the oldman and I were getting out for bass opener. We usually fair ok and today was no exception. Day started off with a few nice largies and more surfacing gar pike then I've ever seen before! I've made a mental note to bring the flyrod out next time and give these suckers a go.. Frank was the lucky one to land the big bass of the day a nice 3-4lber.. As always we pretty much fish topwater exclusively, today it was definitely the ticket. Overcast, rainy and a bit of wind had the fish turned on for sure.

5871249266_fdb6239250_b.jpg

Here's the big big surprise :) And people have trouble catching topwater pike? :) Just under 40inches on the tape. A few quick pics and back she went.

gp2.jpg

Thats some good fish,n there Bill.Congrats to your pop. We had down pours from Orrilla all the way up and never stopped.Not a happy fisher guy.Atleast time was spent with family.

TFS

Yeah man, the rain just wouldn't quit today, then the wind picked up! Tomorrow will be better though :)

Edited by BillM

Great job Bill!

Fancy lookin tiller you got there. Can't say I've even seen a bilge pump in a tiller, if that's what all the plumbing is..

Thanks man, and that's exactly what all that plumbing is. With a raised floor there is zero room to scoop out any water.

cool catch Bill for your pop.

A little off topic but what kind of leader would you be using if you go after the gars on the fly? i've heard the often get away bec they tend to cut off the lines when they roll over and their long snout does not help.

My buddy has told me 30lb mono or Dacron will work fine.

Edited by BillM