Temagami - Weekend Fishing Trip Report

Governator

My buddy and I plan two fishing trips each year, usually Spring & Fall. So last weekend was the first of the year and even though the weather didn't cooperate throughout, it was great times & good fishing (Which is really all we care about).

We left my place in Barrie @ 6:30AM on Friday and our destination was a small lake with limited access in Temagami. There's something about camping on an island in a remote area that gives you a real appreciation to the outdoors. We do these types of trips often and they always bring good times. We didn't see a single person or boat all weekend, and there's only two cottages near the launch area to be seen.

Anyway we make a pit stop at Gramps and double check the load:

pic1aq.jpg

We were launching before noon, and setup camp before chasin' the fish:

pic2ta.jpg

Pop-up bug net was real handy for a quick filleting station. Small black flies still found ways through but it was a big help:

pic3wu.jpg

A perfect rock face for docking:

pic1lw.jpg

Friday's fishing was slow. We've been here before and thought we had a good idea where certain species would be hiding. We first targeted pike but came up empty other than a couple smallies swiping our lures. So instead we hit another bay, marked some fish and landed a couple of walleye:

My buddy Ash landed the biggest walleye of the weekend (around 23"):

pic4h.jpg

pic5v.jpg

I got a little guy:

pic6l.jpg

We moved on as the action stopped and headed to another spot we had success on in the past. Ash landed another couple of walleye and we called it a night after the bugs came out hard. We slept in a little bit and started the next day with some good ol' bannock before hitting the lake:

pic7d.jpg

The day started rather slow and after hitting our usual spots we headed down a different bay. Ash landed a small walleye and in the process I rigged up a jig & shiner. About 5 minutes later he saw what he thought was a massive walleye taking a couple chomps at his lure right near the boat. He hollered over to quickly drop my jig down, so I dropped it and within seconds it was fish on!

A tag team effort to say the least, it was a surprise 24" Pike. Pretty thick guy actually, didn't get a full shot though:

pic8m.jpg

We called it a morning, headed in for quick bite. The rain at this time was now coming down pretty hard. Didn't prevent us from fishing, we were all geared up and this time the rain I think certainly helped the fish action. We headed to another bay when Ash put on a walleye catching display, within about a 15 minute period he had landed 6 walleye while I had just 1. We moved around a bit and when his hot streak came to an end I suddenly felt big hit on my line (probably why the action ended?)!

I thought I must've hit a massive walleye although once again to my surprise it was a nice size pike (In fact my Personal Best on my line). I hauled it in but the real unfortunate part was she inhaled my little 2.5" walleye crank deep in to it's gills. She was bleeding excessively and I felt awful, we jaw spreaded her and by the time we got it out she was pretty well done. We couldn't revive her (OR SO WE THOUGHT) so we decided that it was best to place her in the live well and see if the running water would do anything. If she wasn't going to come around I'd just keep her not letting her go to waste. Wouldn't you know it? I opened up the live well when we landed and she was no longer belly up she looked live & ready to go!! WHEWW!

Here's a quick pic of her in the livewell with some small eyes:

pic9ef.jpg

I held her up for a pic & then had a great release:

pic9b.jpg

pic10p.jpg

We also kept a few walleye for lunch from our 8 combined possession limit & let the others go too.

Time for some good dinner, the photos can do the rest:

Ash worked the taters while I cooked up the fish:

pic11a.jpg

pic13x.jpg

pic12pf.jpg

pic14vq.jpg

pic14b.jpg

Can't wait for next time!

Edited by Governator

Thanks everyone - good times indeed!

Nice!!!

Now I'm hungry for walleye/taters and beans. <_<

Nice little boat too.

How do you like your Fisher? ;)

Thanks! That's my fishing partner's boat. We started with a zodiac which is hard to believe, then to a 12' aluminum and got this one last fall so this is our first season with it. What a treat to finally have some space & stability. It's just the perfect size for what we do and zips nicely. First time we've had fish finders as well, what a bonus that is. Just nice to know for depth, quite surprising how many drop offs we didn't know existed until having them.

Thanks everyone - good times indeed!

Thanks! That's my fishing partner's boat. We started with a zodiac which is hard to believe, then to a 12' aluminum and got this one last fall so this is our first season with it. What a treat to finally have some space & stability. It's just the perfect size for what we do and zips nicely. First time we've had fish finders as well, what a bonus that is. Just nice to know for depth, quite surprising how many drop offs we didn't know existed until having them.

I bought my 18' Fisher brand new 20 years ago and it's still going strong.

They are nicely constructed boats (I've had mine completely apart for new paint and carpeting) ;)

Sounds like it was a fun trip, thanks for sharing. Did you bring a generator with you to charge the boat battery? I would love to do crown land camping but the battery needs to be charged daily.

Edited by Fish4Eyes