Favourite smallmouth bass lures?

crossover

Without a doubt a Heddon/Excalibur "Spittin Image" topwater has caught me the most and biggest smallmouth. Have caught a few over 6lbs in Kawarthas on this.

b9564cd6_vbattach1536031.jpg

The lure in the middle is Pop n' Image which i don't even use.

Will throw these all day and they work anytime. The fish below was caught at 3 in afternoon a couple of summers ago.

IMG_0021-3.jpg

If it is way too rough i will throw a double willowleaf spinnerbait or just troll muskies.

Berkley 3"swim baits, the perch color, retrieved fast on a 1/4oz jig.

Rapala DT 10 Minnow pattern, DT 6 perch pattern

Black/Blue 3-4" salted tubes, on a tube hook

wacky rigged worms

Shadalicious 5" swim baits on weighted 3/8oz hooks

Terminator spinner, white or chart.

Booyah swim jig black/blue or black/red, with Berkley Chigger craw, same colors. Cut about an inch off the chigger

I am dissapointed in you all. Not a single marshmallow comment. What is going on with this community? :unsure:

Just was getting through the comments and was so happy that no one gave away the secret weapon of choice by many here and you had to go and do it!! :glare: Nice, I'll never get another smallie with the secret out....again. :sarcasm:

I've done very well with a particular soft plastic the last few years that no one has mentioned. Nice to know that there are still a few secrets out there. :)

Edited by fishnsled

• 4 weeks later...

The "funnest" way to fish for smallies is anything top-water...but if it's too choppy you're screwed. Then I'd go with a twitch or crank bait. They'll also hammer a lot of different kinds of plastic rigged a lot of different ways. Live bait is very reliable too, but I pretty much gave it up because I find I get more gut-hooked bass on it than I do on artificials. SMB fishing is pretty much my favorite. I love those little pigs.

• 1 month later...

I was always the guy who said "you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get quality crankbaits".. then I broke and splurged on some lucky craft jointed 1.5' diving cranks and I've never looked back. To this date, I have caught more big smallies (including MY lake record) on these lures (American Shad to be specific) than any other single lure. I can't say enough good things about these cranks, as my lake is pretty shallow and these things rape.

If I'm trolling cranks, I'm trolling Lucky Craft...

When it gets colder, I swift to a shaky head/dropshot rig with a variety of soft plastics, but nothing beats the intensity that fish hit those cranks with... makes me miss every July after it's done