Forecast: Cold, Snow And The Chance For Giant Pike

solopaddler

You forgot to mention that on one day the temps never got above freezing and we had to deal with sleet/snow and freezing guides the entire time. :blink:

It didn't stop the fun though. :canadian:

Like you said, days like that separate the men from the boys.

So when is next years trip???

You coming?

Fun times for sure guys.

Dan you'll be happy to know we stacked up all the pike into a big pile back at camp and burned them in the woodstove to keep warm.

:lol:

The early season risk paid off but would you go that early again or hold out a couple weeks for bugs but more stable weather?

We were soooo close to hitting the weather jackpot.

Honestly I would go early again and hope for the best. Either that or September, I really like September.

Even at the height of bug season they're only an issue around camp. Out in the boat there are none...

Any pike lures or colors that creamed the crop of 'em this year?

Talking to George I understand you're headed to Pym. ;)

I doubt you'll need pointers but 50% of my big fish came on virtually weightless 8" reapers, but then that was due to the cold water and the front that passed through.

The other fish came mostly on 3/4oz Silver Minnows tipped with a grub and a silicone skirt clipped very short.

Either the ones I painted black chrome or straight gold worked best on this trip.

Beyond that I killed a bunch of big fish on a 13/16oz Doctor Spoon in hammered copper with a fluorescent orange stripe on the front.

Also caught a few on a variety of 3/4oz spinnerbaits.

Epic!! That one Dave got is just a slob!! Great pics and story as usual Mike. My fav. pic is of that pike in the grass. :thumbsup_anim:

Everyone likes that pic of the pike in the grass. I should sell it to Ontario Out Of Doors. :D

You're going to love Richter dude. :)

Awesome post Mike! I was patiently awaiting this one :) That one fish of Daves is an absolute cow!!! The stomach on that thing!

Thanks Bill. If I knew you were waiting for me to reply I would have done it sooner. Who's Dave??? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Kidding, I don't want to hijack

Edited by MuskyMike

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, much appreciated!

Awesome report! Looking forward to the pictures from the other members of your crew. After Attawapiskat, how can you fish anywhere else? It's the fishing version of chasing the dragon.

I'm looking forward to seeing those other pic's as well!

As far as Eddie's camp spoiling you, it is kind of true.

I've got a couple more trips on tap for this season that'll be pretty darned good though.

What's chasing the dragon? :)

Awesome report Mike :thumbsup_anim:

I know exactly how you feel about just missing the weather window.

Thanks for sharing your week with us

Great trip Mike. Beauty of a report.

The third Saturday in May has attracted me to Northern Ontario for 28 consecutive years. It's the place to be during an incredible time of change.

Soooo....how did you guys make out?

Sweet trip once again....after seeing that I wish I went again...just not in the cards (or the bank) this year!!lol

Cheers

Jason

Thanks bud, would have been good if you could've made it.

Great trip guys thanks for sharing that

Is that a camp deep fryer or did you guys bring that in with ya's?

Eddie has two bbq's and two deep fryers at the camp. No way no how would I be bringing deep fryers on the plane when we were forced to leave beer on the dock because of overweight. :)

What's chasing the dragon? :)

Wikipedia can relay it better than I:

Metaphorical

The metaphorical meaning of the term "Chasing the Dragon" alludes to the feeling that the next ingested dosage of the drug will result in a nirvana that seems and feels imminent and conclusive, yet upon consumption never quite yields the promised experience—leading to the desire for the next dose that still promises the same—thus chasing the dragon but never catching it (like "chasing after the wind [a wild wind]", a biblical term[3]). Medically speaking, this sensation is a common aspect of drug addiction in which psychological and physical drug tolerance causes a diminishing return curve in the user's enjoyment of the drug. Here, the "dragon" represents the user's best euphoric experiences with the drug (usually due to novelty and inexperience), but with the positive effects diminishing (and often being replaced with negative effects) over time with each consecutive experience, causing the user to fruitlessly "chase" harder and use more of the drug in order to try and recapture the initial euphoria.

Sorry for the derail.

Nice Pike!! Ok, back on track.

Edited by FishLogic

That was well worth the wait....and when I finally get to Eddie's camp, I know it will be worth the wait! I'm blown away by the fish and the scenery....can see why this place has captured you!