Quick Poll: Do I need new trailer tires

young_one

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do I need new trailer tires?

• YES
    • NO

Looks like you've been running under-inflated, or your wheels aren't lined up straight. Lotsa tread in the middle of the tire, the outside tread is almost bald and it looks like a nasty gouge all the way around.

I vote yes.

Go and take a look for the date stamp, it will look something like this 3205 or 1504. The first one is 32nd week of 2005, the other is the 15th week of 2004. Most tires have a lifespan of about 5-6 years, regardless of the mileage. The rubber and compounds deteriorate regardless. I can see porosity between the treads. Although there is sufficient tread depth, I wouldn't trust them. When you buy new ones, look at the date or tell the dealer you won't accept anything older than 3 months, it's your money and safety.

It is measured at the thinest spot on the tread and the worst gouge you can find. What is the age of them? I replace my tires every 4,000 miles or 2 years which ever comes first. It is cheap insurance, a blow out on a trailer can wreck the trailer and the truck in the wrong situation.

Art

That scuff/grove (dark line in pics 2/3/4) looks like you're hitting your wheel wells on the road bumps.

As for age of tires and throwing perfectly good ones in the bin. Depends on brands, whether you look after them and make sure they're correctly inflated before EVERY tow. Where the trailer is parked (in the grass or tires up on boards).. sunshine they get etc. I still have the original HD Truck tires that came on my 34' deck trailer... 6 of them (tri-axle)... and they've been on there since 1989. Never an issue, including last Falls trip to Barry's Bay and back.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for all the replies! What options do I have for changing tires? I just called CTC, they don't carry trailer tires.

Thanks advance!

Any tire shop will be able to get them for you. Princess Auto also carries a number of sizes that might fit you(the trailer).

Here's a link for you: http://www.princessauto.com/trailer/trailer/trailer/tires/list-all/Page-3-30?orderby=product_name

Edited by Fisherman

Some people are missing the one picture. It shows the shoulder of the tire and the tread is worn completely off. You need new tires.

Fender rub???

Check the fender to see if it is down to the bare metal in the area that would hit the tire. Maybe those tires are too big for the trailer.

Edited by glen

Some people are missing the one picture. It shows the shoulder of the tire and the tread is worn completely off. You need new tires.

Some commented on it. Either has a trailer axle "toe in" issue or tire ran way underinflated for a long time.

Fender rub???

Check the fender to see if it is down to the bare metal in the area that would hit the tire. Maybe those tires are too big for the trailer.

That dark rub line is something on the trailer scrubbing the tire. Maybe the wheel well isn't centered on the tire or the boat's too heavy for the trailer design.

Edited by irishfield

Maybe the tires where like that on the car they were on.

I dont like the look of that toe in.

LOL.. no they're Marathon Radial trailer tires. They're a good tire if taken care of and what I have on my boat trailer and the enclosed trailer. They do not handle sunlight well at all as is evident on the enclosed trailer with sidewall/bead cracking. Boat trailer is always inside or the tires are covered up at the lake (and I park it into the trees so it doesn't get any high noon sun).

for a few bucks its worth the safety.....i had a blowout last bass opener on the 401 commin back from rice lake......scared the hell out of me....i hope no one ever experiences a blowout at 120km.....for some reason at that point in time the two lanes on either side of me were void of cars...my trailer ran into the left then to the right.....happened so fast...anyways got her under control...changed the tire on the side of the road....next day went to buy two brand new tires....

the tires looked fine to me but as some have said they were bout 5 years old.....and one just blew up.....

change them!!

Definitely something not right there! The fender should never be hitting the tires and the wear on the outside means something is not lined up straight. Axel may have shifted on the trailer? Why would the tires hit the fenders?

Is the boat too heavy?

Scary stuff! Get it looked at!

Many tires that come on these trailers are crap anyways. Many tires they sell to replace them are also crap. I changed my trailer tires for the steel belted radial Goodyear tires they designed for big camper trailers. I forget what their name is. They are so much better.

Buy new tires and upgrade them. Then you don't have to worry about being that guy on the side of the road. Maintaining proper tire pressure is imperative.