2002 Nissan Xterra

ohhenrygsr

Not exactly the same, but my son has a Frontier with the V6, 4x4. He likes it, not a bad gas hog, winter it definitely sucks down a bunch more around town, on the highway at speed limits it does quite well, go beyond that and you can watch the fuel gauge move. He's had a couple small blips with some sensors, seems like after market parts don't/won't work well for any amount of time. He's looking at getting one with the longer box.

There are a few OFC`ers that have them and from what I recall they love them, I am sure they will chime in.

You`ll get about 25-30 mpg on the hiway and probably 15-20 in the city, which is about the same as my 2008 Jeep Liberty.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I had a 2000 nissan Xterra and LOVED it. It's now my sister-in-law's truck and going strong with near 300,000 KM's on it. I served me well the 3 years or so that I owned it. The only reason we got rid of it was because we needed something that could fit 3 car seats for the kids. I thought it was a little stiff on gas....until I started driving my 5.7L Hemi Dodge Durango... lol

Thanks very much for the help guys. I'm looking at the Acura MDX, Xterra and 4Runner

I was looking at the MDX's as well for a while as they have a third row of seating... in the end they were to pricey for me as I could get a WAY newer Durango for the same amount of money... but I did read a lot of negative reviews about the MDX.... of course there's always more negative reviews online than positive ones so you have to take it for what it is. Good luck with the search - choosing a vehicle is always a tough one. Also, my Dad had a early to mid 90's 4runner when I was a kid and that thing was indestructible - a solid reliable SUV back then.

Personally I'd go with the Xterra or the 4Runner if I had a choice. They're work horses...

Buddy of mine loves his Xterra. He tows a big boat with it and has no qualms about driving off-road. I'm not sure what year his is, bit it's about the right vintage. This guy isn't exactly gentle with his stuff, yet the truck's never let him down.

I also have a co-worker who beats the tar out of his 4Runner at every opportunity. And, he just loves it. Interestingly, the 4Runner was the only Toyota model not involved in their recall troubles last year.

Both the Xterra and 4Runner are known to be reliable, dependable trucks with decent towing capacities and good 4x4 capability. Not so sure about the Acura since I don't know anyone who has one.

how about the toyota rav4 with optional third row(if you are looking for that), v6, awd? towing cap is 3500lb with fuel economy at 25 mpg city and 37 mpg highway

I dont think the Rav4 comes with optional 3rd row seating, there is barely room in it as is. Maybe its the highlander you are speaking of ?

my friend bought one two weeks after driving it outa the showroom he crossed a small creek with it about 2ft deep. the engine shut down in the middle. we towed it to the dealership and said it was not covered. oilpan was FULL of water. he dropped the keys on the counter and said thats fine i havent made the first payment yet. this was right after 9\11 0 $ down. it was a toomraider edition frontier.

Had 3 Nissan pickups - from 1989 onward to 2000 - and they got progressively worse each time. (kept giving me good deals on each one)

Will never forgive that company for manufacturing electrical connections to the fuel pump of three different metals. Add electricity and connector corroded with fuel pump shut off without warning. Connector inaccessable in fuel tank.

Stuck in blizzard for hours.

After market parts rare, OEM parts expensive, service departments the worst I have ever dealt with.

Get the Toyota.

my friend bought one two weeks after driving it outa the showroom he crossed a small creek with it about 2ft deep. the engine shut down in the middle. we towed it to the dealership and said it was not covered. oilpan was FULL of water. he dropped the keys on the counter and said thats fine i havent made the first payment yet. this was right after 9\11 0 $ down. it was a toomraider edition frontier.

Ya, and the Titanic rammed an iceberg, it was supposed to be unsinkable too. I have my doubts about, "crossed a small creek with habout 2 feet of water" and "oil pan full of water" more likely tried to cross the amazon at warp drive.

Ya, and the Titanic rammed an iceberg, it was supposed to be unsinkable too. I have my doubts about, "crossed a small creek with habout 2 feet of water" and "oil pan full of water" more likely tried to cross the amazon at warp drive.

LOL that was hilarious XD

Sorry but the Nissan name is aces in my book. I have owned Nissan when it was Datsun and presently own a 05 Titian all have been good to me. I have had recalls on it but what truck hasn't? All were handled professionally with concern to my time and a free loaner when needed. I guess Nissan Canada is different but I hope it is fixed they really are good vehicles.

Art

The fuel economy ratings on that vintage Xterra are pretty dismal. That is the same type of economy as a big Yuke or Suburban. I'd take the big fullsize V8 SUV over any of the Japanese made midsizes that come with a V6 if the fuel economy is comparable but that's just me.

How do you like your pilot?

I have a '06 pilot.

Towing about 2500lb in D3 I averaged about 17.5L/100km

Mine's an '05.

It's a great vehicle. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

I can't say exactly what I get for mileage (I don't really check :blush: )

I can say that on my trips to Alaska I get about 20-21 mpg on the hwy.

Towing my boat (18' Fisher aluminum with a 90), I haven't checked but I only have towed a maximum of 30kms with it. I'm able to tow the boat in OD without the tranny hunting at all (weight is in the 1,800-2,000# range with trailer). I will drop to D3 in hilly areas if the tranny starts hunting though.

I did tow my Rockwood Freedom 1980 camper to Alaska and it did use a bunch more fuel than when not towing but that was expected.

It's now in storage in Alaska so I don't have to tow it back and forth. :D