A fantastic weekend trip with the guys

JimJigger, my Brother and I hit the road at 5 am Saturday and made the journey to Manitoulin Island for our yearly Rainbow Trout trip. After this year's outting, I can guarantee we return in 2012.

The first line was in at 8:30 am and the first fish was caught at 9am! My brother landed the ice breaker and missed another just minutes earlier. That is instant relief for a trio of guys who don't specialize in Rainbow fishing. JimJigger and I had hip waders and casted from the sides of the fast flowing inlet, into the lake. We totalled 9 fish over the weekend, which was a step up from 2 in 2010. We only met up with half a dozer other fisherman who were catching them at a little lower rate than us. Almost exclusively, we casted Mepps or Mepps-like spinners. I tried a lot of J-9's, Slashbait and some homemade spinners but only had luck with Mepps. I also tried some drifting and bottom bouncing, but my skills and confidence are quite low with these techniques...I need more practice and a few successes before I get comfortable with the advanced methods. My theory is "if it works for me, stick with it". If the other fishermen were catching more than me, you can bet I'd learn quick.

JimJigger was the king of the trout this weekend and landed the two biggest fish, the biggest being around 12lbs (give or take, no measurment). He also caught 4 of the 9. We crammed in 16hrs of fishing in 30 hrs (including 8 hrs of driving) and enjoyed every minute of sun burns, wind burns, rain, leaky hip waders and roach motels! I caught three and unfortunately couldn't contribute to Team 8-The Assassin8ors.

Enjoy the pics.

100_0078.jpg

100_0086.jpg

100_0089.jpg

100_0097.jpg

JimJigger is 6feet tall ...for scale

100_0099.jpg

100_0100.jpg

100_0104.jpg

100_0105.jpg

100_0107.jpg

100_0113.jpg

Great stuff RC !!! What a weekend out for ya!

If you're up there again... I'll shamelessly plug my sister-in-laws "Manitoulin Resort" as a place to stay. It's on Lake Manitou, but close enough to the main lake if you wanted some better accoms.

@ Ron, yes that is snow and it came in handy too.... it was our ice replacement before we stopped at the store. B)

The funny thing about the cooler, is that there were still some beer left when I got home... we were so beat Saturday night that after our first beer we all passed out! Lightsout for us lightweights.

Thx for the replies :good:

Nice shootin ...ive got to head up there shortly to install the docks and kill a few beers with the brother-in-law unfortunatly no room on the plane for the rods...looks like you guys had a good time ..

Cheers

Excellent report! I'm sure those trout tasted great. I spent my summers as a kid on Manitoulin Island and have family that live there still, and seeing your report brings back a lot of memories.

If that's in the spot I think it is, when I fished there in the spring once I had surprisingly better success in the harbor, than in the main creek channel. Did you guys toss some baits in the harbor side where the culvert flows in?

If it is the spot I think, I have to also ask, did you make it to the chocolate shoppe nearby? They've got great hot drinks and some yummy chocolates :)

Good stuff!

Tony

Nice photos indeed.

Could someone clarify if I'm thinking clearly? Is the area that they're fishing in Zone 10 (Manitoulin Island) and if so, aren't the catch & retain limits two for sport and one for conservation licenses for rainbows?

Not to knock the post, but just seeking clarification.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit