Warm Fishing Gloves?

Bly

I am in the market for some new winter fishing gloves. I purchased a pair of fleeced lined neoprene water proof etc gloves, tried them last night and the "warmth" factor was just not there. Considering some from Manzella (warmest-bow hunting) and am wondering if anyone here has any input on that brand or maybe could suggest another good one?? Thanks!

Blyght :unsure:

Mitts over gloves anytime 'cause you loose far too much heat with single finger instead of all 4 together in the same big hole. Next thing is to keep a good towel handy, 'cause some have the habit to throw off the mitts when trying to crank up the fish and then unhook it, next thing, wet hands go back into dry gloves...not for long. I would try and find a pair of army artic mitts at a surplus store, they even have the booger buster wool on the face of the mitt for warming up your nose. Then get a pack or two of the handwarmers when things get real miserable.

When cold weather fishing, I carry atleast three pairs of gloves, thin ones for fishing, ski gloves when it starts to get really cold and snowmobile gloves when travelling.Oops... make that four pairs, I like the wool cut offs as well.

I rotate what I wear, based on need and what's dry.

HH - the fish whisperer!

I've got a pair of sealskin wool gloves that fit well and have grips built in for colder weather fishing. I've also got an oversize pair of wool mitts that I can pull on over them if it gets colder.

I try to take my gloves off when fighting and then handling a fish, like the others say the biggest thing is to keep your hands & gloves dry or it won't matter what kind of gloves you have.

Mike

"keeping the gloves dry" "carry at least three pair"

It is like you all know what a silly thing I just recently did :blush:

Was so excited about the walleye I caught that I forgot to pull off my over gloves before handling etc the fish. Usually have extra gloves in the car and extra socks (did I mention I soaked one boot)but not that night, thank goodness for a generous husband and hand & foot warmers...he gave me his :)

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I can't tell you what gloves or mitts are good because I haven't found a single pair that do the job while fishing.

I thought I was going to be set when I forked out 60 bucks for a pair of Arctic Shield System gloves. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY on this product for fishing. The outer mitt is somewhat water proof but the inner glove isn't even water resistant so if you touch your line or bait the glove gets soaked very quickly and your then hands freeze. They aren't even warm when they are dry anyhow so it doesn't matter. The only way to cope I find is that I carry 4 pairs when fishing in winter. 2 Neoprene which are great because they are water proof until you get them wet from the inside by jamming wet hands inside them to warm yourself without using a towel as mentioned because who has the brain power to think about drying your hands everytime? I don't LOL. So if it isn't too cold find I can sometimes get by using just 2 pairs of the neoprene one after the other... If it is really cold I have one pair of fleece lined thinsulate cheapie flap mitts that are my go to gloves when it is cold because even when wet they are twice as warm as the Arctic Shield gloves and only cost 6 bucks. Last resort is a pair of dollar store thinsulate gloves that tell me when I pull them out it is time for me to pull out and head home, unless the fishing is nonstop which tends to keep me warm LOL.

I am eyeing a set of gloves from Mark's that claim to be waterproof and for extreme weather if I get them I will post my results.

I got my dad a pair of gortex extreme weather gloves in the late 80's that were on sale for 49.99 marked down in the summer from 125.00 and he can't even have them on his hands for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time because his hands roast in them.... I wish I could find another pair but they would probably run over 200.00 bucks now.

One other thing I do is I carry 4 reusable hand warmers from Lee Valley and they are the best thing I have found for extreme cold. Slip one in each glove and your hands will be toasty even in wet gloves for at least an hour.

Ah for those that are from the east coast will know what Im talking about here.

10 Virgin wool MITTS ,you cant beat.Use to use them on the trollers and some still do.The darn glove would be frozen solid,put yer hands in it ,and they would be warm as yer mudders womb.That may offend some,but thats what we would say. :):)

I have yet to find a warmer MITT then that made by my nan.10 times the size of yer hand,but my son, was she a warm MITT to wear.

Havent had a pair to wear since my dog ate one of them up,and chucked it up :P:P .

All the newfie,s relatives left these days ,are way to into the 2000,s.No one seems to want to carry on the tradition. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Ah to have a pair of them now.......... :worthy::worthy::worthy:

It's below freezing here in my area at this time of the year. I still do a lot of shore fishing for brook trout in the Saguenay River. Staying warm and dry takes first place on the menu. Even for sitting down, you don't last very long sitting on a big boulder. So far, I have been doing pretty good with neoprene gloves and big mitts that the guys who work for mining companies wear in the far north. I bring along a pair of wool gloves and fingerless wool gloves too. I also bring along a few small dry thick cotton towels to dry my hands.

I don't care if I may look a bit wierd but I wear a full snow suit and -74 C snow boots too. No such thing as being too warm when the temperature is on the average of -3 during the day and the constant 10 to 30 mph wind.

It's below freezing here in my area at this time of the year. I still do a lot of shore fishing for brook trout in the Saguenay River. Staying warm and dry takes first place on the menu. Even for sitting down, you don't last very long sitting on a big boulder. So far, I have been doing pretty good with neoprene gloves and big mitts that the guys who work for mining companies wear in the far north. I bring along a pair of wool gloves and fingerless wool gloves too. I also bring along a few small dry thick cotton towels to dry my hands.

I don't care if I may look a bit wierd but I wear a full snow suit and -74 C snow boots too. No such thing as being too warm when the temperature is on the average of -3 during the day and the constant 10 to 30 mph wind.

Hey Dabluz .. I agree 100% .. in fact the BEST gloves are a pair of those grey woollen socks (I call them lumberjack socks) ... they keep ya warm EVEN after they get wet !

What I wouldnt do for a little saguenay Speck fishing right abut now ... even though our chrome is nice .. nothing can match those specks ! Lets see some pictures !!!!

A bud of mine works for the MNR, and we get together with another bud, and make a mass order of a dozen each of commercial fishermen gloves every two years. They are a tight knit glove, and even when wet still keep your hands warm to a degree. I carry 6 pairs of them with me, wrapped up in a used minnow bag, they are very tough plastic bags. When one pair gets too wet, change up.

And for maximum warmth when riding into the lake, I wear big mitts I bought probably 20 yrs. ago. They are green duck cotton, with a leather palm and thumb, and the cuff goes up half way to my elbow. No problem. I have had them for so long because I only wear them when riding the sled or quad, then they are stowed to prevent them from getting wet, and put back on for the ride out.

Other than that, I just keep my gloved hands in my jacket pockets as much as possible to prevent them from getting wet.

HHHHHHHHHHHhhmmmm i must be doing something wrong? :(

i dont wear gloves when i'm fishing..............and yes i'm talking hard water, how the heck do you feel a bite when your hands are in a pair of mitts?

I do use them for walking out to the fish or for pulling a sled, but to jigg with ............nope ask BILL.

I still have the same pair off mitts my kids gave me for Xmas 8 years ago crappy can specials, black with fake wool inside.

HHHHHHHHHHHhhmmmm i must be doing something wrong? :(

i dont wear gloves when i'm fishing..............and yes i'm talking hard water, how the heck do you feel a bite when your hands are in a pair of mitts?

I do use them for walking out to the fish or for pulling a sled, but to jigg with ............nope ask BILL.

I still have the same pair off mitts my kids gave me for Xmas 8 years ago crappy can specials, black with fake wool inside.

Yes...well...where we fish (shore of Lake O), the cold air is usually accompanied by 30km/h winds!!!! We need 30 pound gloves to avoid being blown into the water. :D

The knit gloves I am talking about, you can feel bites with, they are not a thick knit, but a tight knit. Not those ones that allow you to pull your fingers out of while still wearing them. Those things are thick, too thick, will keep your fingees warm when worn, but not really practical up here.

I used to use mitts (with a retractable finger cover) but I always ended up getting hooked and trebs and wool do not get along all that well :(

Just recently I bought a $20 pair of boating gloves at BPS (they were on special) and was very pleased with them. They're waterproof and worked like a charm when fishing, specifically trolling. But I even left them on when casting my baitcast reel. At worst, I took my reeling hand glove off and left a heat pack in my pocket. The weather was cold (less than 5 degrees) and windy at times but I couldn't complain about having real cold hands.

no sir, I don't wear gloves. I used to stick my hands down my pants but that would make "general sherman" cold, now I just stick em down others' pants. Seems to work

Remind me never to shake your hand, wear my belt tight, and not to let my wife fish with you....then we're fine! :D

I just got a pair of Carnhart insulated waterproof gloves. they are really awsome. I stuck my hand in the water with the gloves on and they didn't get wet. They aren't neopreme but made with the same material as a good waterproof jacket. They are really warm, light and waterproof.

Oh ya, pretty pricey too dammit.

Havent had a pair to wear since my dog ate one of them up,and chucked it up :P .

All the newfie,s relatives left these days ,are way to into the 2000,s.No one seems to want to carry on the tradition.

Ah to have a pair of them now..........

These sound very interesting, don't suppose you have a good picture of them or know anyone that might have the pattern etc to make em?? My daughter loves to knit and thinking I might convince her to try and make some. :)

Remember that if you aren't wearing enough on your head and neck, your hands and feet will get cold no matter how good your boots and gloves are. If you can keep most of the heat in your body that would leave from the top and core, you will be surprised how easy it is to keep your pinkies and tootsies toasty. You just can't beat toasty tootsies.

My float suit has built in side pockets on the chest that are sorta like those hand muffs that you strap on your waist. I could probably put one of those handwarmer packets in there too.

Edited by douG

No one has mentioned Hand muffs that you strap on your waist and they have openings for you to stuff your hands in. I use it when I go hunting with a handwarmer packet in it and thin shooting gloves.

Art

You didnt see Rizzos post then.LMAO.

Yep I got one of them for in the stand.Throw in a hand warmer pad and your all toasty.

Sorry blyght, dont have a picture of the mitts I was talking about.Im sure if you search the web.Maybe eastcoast wool mitts or something like that you may find them. I,ll see if I can find a site or picture for you.

My brother may still have his pair.I,ll check with him also.