Zone 17

ohhenrygsr

Hi Guys and Gals,

Can someone please clarify the rules for Walleye on Balsam Lake with a Seasonal License.

Walleye &

Sauger or any

combination

2nd Sat. in May to

Nov. 15

S - 4; must be between 35 - 50 cm

(13.8 - 19.7 in.).

C - 1; must be be

Walleye S - 3 and C - 1, none between

37-55 cm (14.6-21.7 in.).

Does this mean for Balsam i'm allowed to keep 3 between 13.8-14.6? and none between 14.6-21.7. But allowed over 21.7??

Edited by Henry Nguyen

Balsam is one of the exceptions in zone 17, Henry. The part which applies to Balsam is just lower down on the same page.

Walleye S - 3 and C - 1, none between 37-55 cm (14.6-21.7 in.).

with a Seasonal License.

Henry I'll assume you meant Sport Fishing License.

As for limits & sizes Roy is correct.

In other words only 3 & they must be smaller than 37cm (14.6") or larger than 55cm (21.7") in any combination up to a total of 3.

Edited by Woodsman

Like Roy has pointed out, the regulations for Balsam differ from the rest of the zone. The reason for this is that the slot limit on Balsam was implemented years ago and it is a study lake. The MNR has been monitoring the walleye population on Balsam and the results will be compared to the slot limit in the rest of Zone 17.

Hopefully showing which slot limit and management tool is most effective for producing strong walleye populations in the Kawartha's for years to come.

Nice to see active management of the resource in our area. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Guys and Gals,

Can someone please clarify the rules for Walleye on Balsam Lake with a Seasonal License.

Walleye &

Sauger or any

combination

2nd Sat. in May to

Nov. 15

S - 4; must be between 35 - 50 cm

(13.8 - 19.7 in.).

C - 1; must be be

Walleye S - 3 and C - 1, none between

37-55 cm (14.6-21.7 in.).

Does this mean for Balsam i'm allowed to keep 3 between 13.8-14.6? and none between 14.6-21.7. But allowed over 21.7??

For Balsam only in zone 17 with a Sport fishing License:

You can not keep any walleye between 14.6-21.7 inches. You can keep 4 but none between these measurements. And only one of those 4 fish can be over the size of 21.7 inches.

So, you can keep 4 under 14.6, and you have to stop targeting walleye. If you have had caught and kept one over 21.7 then you can only keep 3 more under 14.6 inches and you have to stop targeting walleye.

To be fair, I've caught walleyes on Balsam under a slot size of 14.6 inches and they had a body mass smaller then an 7'' inch perch, something to consider if you want to keep fish of that size from there.

So, you can keep 4 under 14.6, and you have to stop targeting walleye. If you have had caught and kept one over 21.7 then you can only keep 3 more under 14.6 inches and you have to stop targeting walleye.

To be fair, I've caught walleyes on Balsam under a slot size of 14.6 inches and they had a body mass smaller then an 7'' inch perch, something to consider if you want to keep fish of that size from there.

you might want to read it again, the limit is 3. don't want to get in trouble now would we... :whistling:

You can keep 4 but none between these measurements.

I hope you aren't keeping 4 fish in Balsam, if you are, you're breaking the law.

If Balsam is in the exceptions, and the limit is different then the standard Zone 17 regs(3 compared to 4) those are the ones you need to go by.

I hope you aren't keeping 4 fish in Balsam, if you are, you're breaking the law.

If Balsam is in the exceptions, and the limit is different then the standard Zone 17 regs(3 compared to 4) those are the ones you need to go by.

Thanks Guys, I was just getting confused between the 2. If there is an exception to the rule than go by that 10-4 Rubber Duck :clapping:

For Balsam only in zone 17 with a Sport fishing License:

You can not keep any walleye between 14.6-21.7 inches. You can keep 4 but none between these measurements. And only one of those 4 fish can be over the size of 21.7 inches.

with the exception to Balsam you can only keep 3 with a Sport fishing license. Why do I have to stop targeting Walleye if i have my Limit? What if i caught one that was 14" and filled my limit continued to fish for walleye and catch a 14.1 i can't upgrade my catch and release the 14" i caught? :oops: I was just double checking for a friend as i too was confused with the exceptions. thanks all

with the exception to Balsam you can only keep 3 with a Sport fishing license. Why do I have to stop targeting Walleye if i have my Limit? What if i caught one that was 14" and filled my limit continued to fish for walleye and catch a 14.1 i can't upgrade my catch and release the 14" i caught? :oops: I was just double checking for a friend as i too was confused with the exceptions. thanks all

In this case you would in possession of 4 walleye. The 3 in your livewell and the one you just caught.

In this case you would in possession of 4 walleye. The 3 in your livewell and the one you just caught.

He'd only be in possession of walleye #4 if it went into the livewell. Unhooking it and released it doesn't equal possession.

BillM is correct --- The regs clearly state that unless a fish is immediately released it does not count toward your limit. So if you have your limit (be it 3 on Balsam, or 4 on another lake in Zone17), you may continue to fish so long as you are letting the fish go immediately.

If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water (see Ontario's Catch and Retain Rules, on page 9). If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish. For some species there are no limits and no reference will be made to a limit in this summary (see Size Limits, page 8).

That was pasted from HERE

Edited by johnnyb

BillM is correct --- The regs clearly state that unless a fish is immediately released it does not count toward your limit. So if you have your limit (be it 3 on Balsam, or 4 on another lake in Zone17), you may continue to fish so long as you are letting the fish go immediately.

Are you absolutely certain, Bill? :)

Are you absolutely certain, Bill? :)

Absolute certainty is up to the CO :) But that's how I read the regs.

I think we've had a similar thread about muskie fishing on GBay with a conservation license.

Edited by BillM

Immediate release is ok... If I'm walleye fishing and crack a smallie when they are out of season... And release it imidiatly... I wasn't "in possession" of an out of season fish...

Also if you have your limit... You can still target a fish... How else would you cull in a tournament???