Not to steal Gerritts thunder... but I need to buy a RIDING lawnmower NF!

Rattletrap2

Folks,

I find myself in the need of some equipment!

I already inquired of you regarding ATV's and have pretty much decided on a Polaris X2 500 EFI.

Now my next problem is a riding mower. I obviously don't have an endless budget and have naturally prioritized my funds on the ATV, but am still faced with the need to cut the lawn! LOL

I started out looking at the Green ones and got terrified of the prices. I then started looking at Cub Cadet and like what I see of their heavy duty shaft drive 2500 series.

Now, I see some decent loking John Deere machines at HD for a lot less money, but I'm afraid they might be the low end of that brand?

Any recommendations on what to look at? I figure I will have about 2+ acres, but very irregular and not a lot of wide open spaces. I'm hoping to us the ATV for plowing, so this machine will be strictly for grass cutting.

Thanks!

Stay away from the HD green ones and the tsc cub cadets.They are not the same as they used to be.How much acreage are you cutting?Art and I have to cut about 5 acres between us so we split the cost of a Bobcat Zero turn machine.It cut mowing time in half and its a lot of fun to ride.If you go with zero turn get one that steer by hydrolics and not belts.Go with the Kohler motor if you can.If you want more info PM me or Art(aplumma)

Joe

edited to read.I just reread that you have 2 acres of irregular cutting.If you have lots of stuff to cut around I would highly recommend a zero turn or a walk behind with a sulky.48" or so would work.Get as much mower as you can afford or plan on replacing it often.Good luck

Edited by Daplumma

Can't beet the green one's, if you have a good dealer they stand behind their products.The dealer I had would come to your house to repair (if needed) or replace it with a loaner if he couldn't fix it there. What you pay up front you save in the long run..

I'm on my 3rd year with the Deere below, I do all my own maintaince as required by the owners manual and she hasn't given me any problems.

jdeere1.JPG

I use the exmark below to cut the campground, and will tell you it's one sweet machine. If you have a lot of grass to cut and like to roll doing it as well as being able to cut and turn on a dime then this is for you.

exmark.jpg

Edited by Garyv

We have a Crapsman 23hp with an auto tranny. Nice rig about $2300.

Been beating the hell outta her for almost five years now and she's held up pretty good. If you are just mowing your lawn, its a good bet - we do so much more than that.

JD is great I have an older model and still running fine. Stay away from the HD ones they are the low end units and some guys are having trouble getting there local JD dealers to do service and warranty work after the sale and HD won't do it. Still seems odd to me you sell a product but don't sell any parts or will not service it.

Test drive a ZTR before you buy one with a steering wheel. The ZTR can cut down the lawn cutting time to 1/2 of the time with a steering wheel mower. The steering wheel mowers have to make a sweeping turn at the end of each pass or you have to cut squares to maximize your cutting time. The ZTR (zero turn radius) mowers you can cut down one strip then down right next to the strip you cut. That blows the grass in seperate directions so you dont have to cut the grass into a pile. You also can go out and trim around 99 % of the lawn obsticals cutting way down on your weedeating time. As mentioned do not get a unit that is not hydrolically driven the FAKE belt driven hydromatic units are junk and are made by MTD but sold as other brands including Huskavarna, Husky, John Deere and Yardman. A hydrolic unit will have two hoses per wheel that go down to the hub assy on the wheels. Since the motor is driving a hydrolic pump it is much more efficent and will not bog down as much in heavy grass like a belt driven unit it sends more power to the blades that cut the grass. The old steering wheel unit was collecting so much dust that we now drop it off at a retired gentlemans house every spring so he can cut his grass.... since he does not fish he has all of the time in the world to cut his grass.

Art

Guest Trophymuskie

I have a dark green one from CT that is close to 10 years old and still going. I have had it repaired a couple of times but it was minor stuff. So I think i got my $1500 worth. ;)

I would have to strongly agree on the getting the zero turn type mower. I have a steering wheel and over half of my mowing time is spend just turning the dang thing around. My buddy next door has a zero turn and he does his lot in almost half the time it takes me. less time moving = more time fishing and less wear and tear on the mower.