Karma .... NF

radar

The other day a guy runs a red light (by a mile) and I just manage to tromp on the brakes so that his F150, just skins my Civic's front bumper with his tire. Of course he's got a scratch on his tire only and my car $2300.00. The bumper/grill has to be replaced but is only superficial damage.

He begs me not to go through insurance. I'm listening - telling him I have to have cash in hand within 23 hours or I have to protect myself. He calls back repeatedly and promises to work it out.

At the 24th hour, I don't hear from him. I go to report it and he is already at the same collision centre - only he is trying to reverse the story saying I ran the red light. Ultimately, I have witnesses. They believe me. They tell him they don't believe him and charge him with careless.

This is where Karma takes a huge bite outta his arse. Right after that, they tell him he's under arrest for unpaid fines and then he is arrested on an immigration warrant and is probably going to be deported. I don't want to see anyone suffer, but the dude tried to reverse the whole thing on me, so I'm smiling when he was taken away in cuffs.

Not only did he cause chaos for me, the time I've had to put in dealing with this crap has cost me from replacing the bearings on my trailer and I'm gonna miss crappie fishing on my day off tomorrow.

Anyway gotta go check the trailer....

Of course not, without accidents and speeding tickets on our records, how would insurance companies justify their rates?

Agreed! however... not everything is black and white..

3 years ago someone hit my ex's car... while I was in the polling station voting. some bystanders got the license plate of the guy that did it.... he took off needless to say...

So I called a buddy of mine that is law enforcement and found out who the person was, lives etc... this elderly fellow answered the door, him and his disabled wife had just gone out and voted..

after a long conversation, he had no idea he had even hit our car.... he was easily in his late 80's..

anyways the damage was cosmetic around 1000.00... he offered to give me the cash right there and then... but considering the circumstances I refused his money, and instead asked him to donate to McMaster Sick Kids Hospital..

10 days later I got a letter in the mail... from McMaster saying that 2000.00 had been donated in my sons memory.. to think that their donation could have helped save another child's life... to me means more then some missing paint.

There really are some good people on this planet... just to bad it is the negative that always gets talked about...

After getting that letter I walked up to their door again, shook his hand with tears in my eyes and said thank you...

karma begets karma.

G.

A young lady ran into the back end of my car last fall. I was stopped on the highway behind a transport and had been there for a full minute or more, I looked in my miror and saw her coming and a look of horor on her face (and a cell phone in her hand). There wasn't a lot of damage, popped some paint off my back bumper but really shook her up. She offered to fix my car, her uncle owns a local used car dealership. I said fine but give me your license etc.. She refused and I told her that if she didn't give it to me I would have to report the accident to the OPP.

She asked if she could call her mom and I told her to go ahead, then I talked to her mom explained that I wanted the license etc. she told the daughter to give it to me and she asked if I could wait a few minutes as the uncle would be right there. He showed up, and promissed that he would get my car fixed and even provide me with a loaner.

Turned out that the young lady was a student on her way back to college and was working two jobs to put herself through. Long story short, the car got fixed as promissed, the young lady now knows why cell phones and driving don't mix, and she doesn't have a careless charge on her record because of a stupid mistake.

Sometimes you just have to trust people!

If I got into an accident and someone asked for my license, I'd outright refuse. They have no need to have my license in their possession. You'd get my insurance information and that's it.

I tapped the rear of a lady on an offramp this winter while coming back from fishing.. One of those people who is turning right on a red, goes about 3ft then stops again. I tapped her at maybe 2-3km/h. Well the we pull over and she calls the cops, then refuses medical treatment, lol. So I get charged with careless, court date is in a few weeks. Even the cop was shaking his head....

If I got into an accident and someone asked for my license, I'd outright refuse. They have no need to have my license in their possession. You'd get my insurance information and that's it.

And I'd call the cops, how else am I going to know you really are who you say you are? You want me to trust you that you will fix my car but you aren't willing to let me make sure I can find you if you don't? With me, trust is a two way street! In my case I was trying to help her avoid an expensive charge that would have cost her time and money.

And I'd call the cops, how else am I going to know you really are who you say you are? You want me to trust you that you will fix my car but you aren't willing to let me make sure I can find you if you don't? With me, trust is a two way street! In my case I was trying to help her avoid an expensive charge that would have cost her time and money.

That's what police reports are for. All the info you need.

That's what police reports are for. All the info you need.

Yes, and if I had called the cops to get a poilce report, she would have been charged! I'll be interested in knowing how much your charge ends up costing you in fines, time to go to court, points, and increased insurance.

You have to be very careful when assessing damage to vehicles after a "bump".

Plastic covers over bumpers will bounce back and appear undamaged. But underneath that plastic are plenty of hidden metal structures, shock absorbers in the metal inner bumpers and many other parts and pieces.

I have seen damage in behind bumpers that could exceed a couple thousand bucks.

Don't take cash!

Yes, and if I had called the cops to get a poilce report, she would have been charged! I'll be interested in knowing how much your charge ends up costing you in fines, time to go to court, points, and increased insurance.

My charge isn't going to cost very much at all.. I'll get it reduced to something silly, low fine and no points. ( This is my first accident so the insurance company gives me a freebie. I also didn't make a claim on my truck (so there are no costs to me at all).. As far as time to go to court, I'll work from home that day :)

Very true Bernie.. this was a recent $2700 bill and also a ran red light hit similar to Radar's. Looked like a $32 signal light and a small crack in the bumper. Instead bumper was bent behind the cover and the grill support/headlight holder frame was snapped beside the inboard edge of the headlight.

EDIT: won't let me upload pics for some reason... server returned an error..

Edited by irishfield

There is no such thing as Karma first of all. The idea of Karma has always been in the positive, meaning that if you do good things you will be rewarded. If does not work in the negative (ideologically), hence the saying "There is no such thing as bad Karma.". That way Revenge can not be justified as bad Karma.

Anyhow, the religious undertones of the Karma debate are potent.

There is no proof for it and I will spend my time pursuing the knowledge of things that are real, not romantic to our flowering minds. In the infancy of our minds, these superstitions are the only answers we could comprehend as they created a nice rounded off figure for us. There is no good Karma nor bad Karma. Just do what us natural to you and do not expect reward. If your a good person great. If your a crappy person you will not have been able to hide it anyway.

There is no such thing as Karma first of all. The idea of Karma has always been in the positive, meaning that if you do good things you will be rewarded. If does not work in the negative (ideologically), hence the saying "There is no such thing as bad Karma.". That way Revenge can not be justified as bad Karma.

Anyhow, the religious undertones of the Karma debate are potent.

There is no proof for it and I will spend my time pursuing the knowledge of things that are real, not romantic to our flowering minds. In the infancy of our minds, these superstitions are the only answers we could comprehend as they created a nice rounded off figure for us. There is no good Karma nor bad Karma. Just do what us natural to you and do not expect reward. If your a good person great. If your a crappy person you will not have been able to hide it anyway.

Wow man, I don't know what you are smoking but can I get some of that? This is just too way indepth for an old guy like me LOL.

lol. Sorry guys. What I mean is this.

The idea of Karma appeals to people because of the intended sense of justice it provides. If you do good you will be rewarded and if you do bad what goes around comes around.

It sounds appealing to say "good Karma" when the guy who helps little old ladies across the street wins the lottery. There is also plenty of appeal when you continue to get treated poorly by an insolent jerk of the idea that one day he will "get his". This is all fine and dandy I suppose but it doesn't ring true nor is it consistent. Many jerks do not ever "get theirs" and millions of great people are not bathed in good fortune.

This is where I feel the idea of Karma is severely flawed. You should not have to be urged to do good things with the idea that you will be paid for it with any sort of good fortune and you should not shy away from doing bad deeds merely by the idea that you "get yours". You should do good things just because you think it is good and you should not do bad things because they do not sit right with your personal conscience which is innate to you.

However this is where I find the idea of Karma is actually repulsive. Stating that good things happen to people who do good and bad things happen to people who do bad sounds fine enough but as many of us know all too well that many horrible things happen to wonderful people. The rules of Karma would imply that somehow the person is in some way guilty of something to have this happen to them. I think that this is rotten. To waive this off and say "well Karma had nothing to do with this case" is to say well then Karma only works some of the time and that very thought would suggest that the idea of Karma is false as it is to say that if you do good Karma MAY smile upon you or you may get hit by a bus. So what is the point?

Anyways I am rambling and that certainly is nothing new. I really need to catch a fish.

Cheers

Ok that's a little clearer. Maybe only a couple of bowls full. :)

All I know is I had a huge smile on my face.

I disagree with you though. "The harder I try, the luckier I get" is one of my favourite sayings.