Enforcement at Work

Covert Fishing Enforcement Blitz Leads To Charges

NEWS March 30, 2011

The Ministry of Natural Resources laid 25 charges and seized 52 whitefish during a series of covert enforcement blitzes on Lake Simcoe.

As a result of public complaints, conservation officers from the Midhurst District enforcement unit were on the ice during the first two weeks of March checking for compliance with the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Ontario Fishery Regulations for species such as lake trout, whitefish and yellow perch.

Officers were able to covertly monitor angler activity and, as a result, 25 charges were laid for violations related to taking over-limits of fish. Although the daily sport limit for catch and retain whitefish is only two fish per person, one angler had six whitefish in his vehicle while another caught and retained seven whitefish.

For further information about fishing regulations, please consult the 2011 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, available at ServiceOntario/Government Information Centres, licence issuers and at ontario.ca/fishing.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact Midhurst District at 705-725-7500 during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

And More... :stretcher:

$6,000 in Fines and Suspension for Fishing Offences

NEWS April 1, 2011

An Oshawa man has been fined a total of $6,000 after being convicted of two fishing related offences and had his fishing licence suspended for four years.

Norman McPhaden pleaded guilty to possessing an over limit of Rainbow trout and Pacific salmon and possessing fish that were packaged in such a manner the species could not be identified.

On November 2, 2010, conservation officers responded to a complaint regarding McPhaden being in possession of an over limit of trout. During the investigation several packages of frozen pieces of fish were located. It was estimated by the ministry that McPhaden was in possession of approximately 90 trout and salmon. The combined limit for these species is only five.

Justice of the Peace John MacDonald heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Whitby, on March 29, 2011.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

It was estimated by the ministry that McPhaden was in possession of approximately 90 trout and salmon.

That is ridiculous, glad they nailed the guy. It's a shame the MNR can't be funded in such a way that allows for checks like this to be done daily, on several waterways.

Edited by ctranter

It enrages me to read stories like this.They are stealing from each and evreyone of us who fish legally and practice conservation in our fishing practices.It is however good to see that the MNR is taking steps to put a stop to it.They are doing the best they can with the resources at hand.Hats off to themthumbsup_anim.gif

Great Job to the enforcement staff.

To get larger fines is not always easy and takes more work and detail in the investigation, then most people imagine.

The other common misconception is the fines go to the MNR. Fines are collected by the municipality.

So if nothing else maybe these good MNR staff can get their streets plowed a little quicker next winter. :whistling:

I was talking to a guy today who told me three guys in a small aluminum were nailed with 300 crappies, bass, and sunfish recently out of scugog.

Ignorant asses. I see it all the time with the panfish. EVERY SINGLE fish that comes over the gunnels, goes in the pot. There is no sense talking to these guys either, they just ignore, or play the no speak english card. Pisses me off to no end. Then you call the MNR tips line and nothing happens......GGGGGRRRRRRR

S.

I was talking to a guy today who told me three guys in a small aluminum were nailed with 300 crappies, bass, and sunfish recently out of scugog.

Ignorant asses. I see it all the time with the panfish. EVERY SINGLE fish that comes over the gunnels, goes in the pot. There is no sense talking to these guys either, they just ignore, or play the no speak english card. Pisses me off to no end. Then you call the MNR tips line and nothing happens......GGGGGRRRRRRR

S.

Throw a grenade next time! :)

I've used Mnr tips in my area and they respond to the area very quick...

For instance were I am you can pretty much only target panfish and carp right now... But every day I see people casting 6 inch baits... That would have to be a big perch to hit that... And I have the Mnr tips as well as the Mnr officers cell # in my phone... Several occasions they were there in ten minutes...

That being said... I do think possession limits should be higher... In some species...

I can only have five walleye in my possession... If I don't ice fish... Those five walleye would have to last

me five months in the winter till the walleye season opens... I dont know about you but I eat more than that... Luckily I ice fish... But a lot of people I know don't and they were out of fish a long time ago...

I'm not saying let me have 100 walleye... But putting the possession limit to two or three daily limits would be nice...

My 2 cents

Edited by Musky Mike

That being said... I do think possession limits should be higher... In some species...

I can only have five walleye in my possession... If I don't ice fish... Those five walleye would have to last

me five months in the winter till the walleye season opens... I dont know about you but I eat more than that... Luckily I ice fish... But a lot of people I know don't and they were out of fish a long time ago...

I'm not saying let me have 100 walleye... But putting the possession limit to two or three daily limits would be nice...

My 2 cents

Why is it absolutely neccesary that you have a steady stream of walleye on your plate? Also, who's fault is it for not ice fishing? :P

Seems prefectly reasonable to me...

my 2 cents

A steady stream???

Five walleye might be 3 meals...

So 10 or 15 walleye would let me have it once every two weeks in the off season...

And the people I'm talking about who don't ice fish ... One is handicapped and can't get out on the ice so ge has to break the law to have some fish for the winter...

Good see people getting charged that should be. I know that last year on the opener of trout there were people fishing with minnows in the park. they were long gone by the time we realized what they were doing.

You can fish with minnows in the park, but they need to be dead :)

On November 2, 2010, Oshawa Ont, conservation officers responded to a complaint regarding McPhaden being in possession of an over limit of trout. During the investigation several packages of frozen pieces of fish were located. It was estimated by the ministry that McPhaden was in possession of approximately 90 trout and salmon. The combined limit for these species is only five.

I heard the original police complaint was about a constant green glow illuminating from his house. ;)