A report...of sorts

limeyangler

Hi All,

I think my last 'proper' fishing outing and report was close to three weeks ago. Since then Family, conflicting work schedules and weather (not necessarily in that order) have kept me off the ice more than i would have liked. I was really looking forward to getting out there with our little boy lots this past three weeks, but alas did not pan out that way. He has been aching to get out with dad....he even found his own indoor ice auger to practice in the meantime!

VERY IMAGINATIVE BOY....HE CAME UP WITH THIS GAME BY HIMSELF!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ks-7pn3QcMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In between night shifts etc... we got out a couple of times for some practice runs on the snowmachine, trying to get him used to going longer distances without falling asleep....lol...the combination of snug warm snowsuit, cuddling up close to dad, the hum of the engine and rocking motion usually have him in the Land of Nod, steaming up his visor whilst sawing logs within 15 minutes.

A FEW PRACTICE RUNS ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lMVz1xgh2vk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weather just hasn't been kind or conducive to getting out much, throw in work schedules etc....very patchy few weeks fishing. Basically 2 and a half weeks ago we hit a big thaw...fine...actually very little slush on the lakes after a couple days + temps and sun, but work kept me home. Then the weather got REAL cold again and froze the surface snow rock solid....I NEED A QUAD! We did manage to get out in front of the house one evening before the big thaw came, had lots of fun, but unfortunately my boy has yet to see dad pull a fish through the ice...!!!!????

GREAT FUN IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE!

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I did manage to get out around 15th March to take a friend of ours' young boy out....was not a hugely successful outing fish wise...but the boy had fun and got his first ever whitefish...he was well pleased with that......and his dad is in trouble as he now wants a fishfinder for icefishing!

IAN'S 1ST WHITEFISH!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VojFgXtZUkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_2095.jpg

I MANAGED A COUPLE SMALL WALLEYE AND A WHITEFISH TOO

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

The next week was all work and 'ships passing in the night' type work schedules...and even when I had the time, the conditions were way to cold to take Jack out....wind-chill being the main factor.....but all through that week jack would constantly remind me through the medium of play that he had a desire to hit the ice........

GET THE HINT ALREADY DAD!!!!

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

The weekend before last we went out to take down my buddy's shack, I’m glad he took his snowmachine cuz I would not want to melt my sliders out there, and being liquid cooled...not much if anything to keep the heat exchangers happy either. Lew's buddy brought his quad too and that helped....DID I MENTION I WANT A QUAD?! I had to be back for five o'clock, and not much fishing was done up till then anyway, I got a small, well fed Jackfish, and Lew got a walleye just as I had to head out.

GOODBYE SHACK TILL NEXT YEAR

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U4fUFGXo8wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

The whole of last week was work again, and despite being off at 6 pm which now means being able to get a few hours in front of the house things just did not work out that way. However, this Monday just gone we finally made it out, weather was perfect...a nice +2. We had to walk in about 1 click, but Jack was perfectly happy lying down in the sleigh there and back.

It was awesome fun, Jack had the time of his life, but as the sun started to set the temps dropped really quickly. We were not catching fish either and he was getting cold and bored....so I quickly carted him back on the sleigh and mum drove him home, he fell asleep in the car on the 10 minute drive back...lol...exhausted!

PERFECT FEW HOURS WITH FAMILY

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nwuQJ5UW3Yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

I scurried back out and we stayed till dark, I forgot that Erika (my wife) had the camera so only managed a picture of the fish when I got home. I got a nice 21" walleye and a 16" and 3 small whitefish, my buddy Al got to whitefish. I can’t believe that my boy has yet to see a fish come through the ice...he would be SOOOOOOOO excited...oh well, we have another 2 weeks before walleye close, and enough ice out the front of the house to last to the end....weather is gonna be all + during the day for the next 2 weeks too...hopefully the fish move through our bay this year.

Edited by limeyangler

Thanks for the replies gang

Awesome, simply awesome. He looks lke a real badass with those shades cool.gif

LOL...yup...and i bet if i tell him that his new word for the next month will be "BADASS"...he dont miss a trick.

YOU are one lucky dude !!! That boy of yours is a very special young lad.HE is lucky too, to have such a wonderful father.

Thanks for the smile

Paul

Thanks Paul...kind words. I have to concede though that mum deserves most of the credit for such a cool kid...she works and plays tirelessly with him.

thumbsup_anim.gif

He will be a fishing machine in no time!

Friggin' hope so Tyler.

biggrin.gif Makes me think he is the Tiger Woods of fishing... minus all the promiscuity etc..

I bet he likes boats too!

He's talking non stop about the "bye-boat" already...he remembers it from last year.

I agree with you about the weather this past 2 wks,now everything is crusted over so hard there is no lube for sliders on the sleds,you need a quad for sure,OR you could get 1 of these to pull your little guy & your stuff.

p><p>OMG ur boy is natural in fishing, whttp://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif' alt='smile.gif'> I enjoy every bit of it... like the sunglasses too, so cool...

good job man

bfisher

Thanks bfisher, he certainly makes me smile a lot!

Awesome pics and report, and usual Limey! Always glad to see the kids getting out and having fun!

So, when are you gonna head down to Emo??? We have to get out man, walleye run has begun, it's all soft water on Rainy River, and the mommas should be here in a week or so. Right now it's all 17-22" eyes, but those 30" mommas are comin' very soon!

Awesome! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Dan

awesome report..... keep em coming ..... :clapping:

Hope to get out a bit more...this saturday looks good for me...just hoping the rain forcast does not kill off the snow in the bush too much...should be good though...lots of snow on the ground still.

Awesome report! The little guy sure looks like a natural and pretty cool with those shads too!

He calls them...."dood glasses"

Simon, My 2 year old (today) Karter loves his "hunter orange" toque too. It is usuually his preference. Mom thinks I am a redneck when he is wearing it.

Some of the best people i know are 'rednecks'

LOL...now there is something i never thought i'd say in my whole life 5 years ago...lol

IMG_2174.jpg

Priceless Simon!!! Priceless!

He was laughing his head off there wayne...he was gradually sliding down the hill.

congrats simon nice pictures and video tell jack not to eat the yellow snow

LOL...thanks Corvy...will pass on the message.

What a sweet report Simon. Your child is just adorable and love eminates from all your posts. He's a lucky boy :thumbsup_anim:

Awww shucks:blush: ...thanks Joey

I was going to PM you the other day to see if all was well....noticed your absence :D Nice to see you've been making the most of your time....Jack is a hoot!

You da man JB...nice to know you got my back. What you been upto...you have been 'relatively' quiet too.

That was great!I thoroughly enjoyed the post. Thank you.

My pleasure hammer :good:

Awesome pics and report, and usual Limey! Always glad to see the kids getting out and having fun!

So, when are you gonna head down to Emo??? We have to get out man, walleye run has begun, it's all soft water on Rainy River, and the mommas should be here in a week or so. Right now it's all 17-22" eyes, but those 30" mommas are comin' very soon!

Boy...you must think i'm the most ungrateful dude ever...so many invites and still yet to fish with ya. I really appreciate the offers and would almost saw off my...well...leg....to come down. How many hours drive from Dryden are you again...i kinda feel if its gonna happen its gonna be a one day trip..lets just do it!

Another member Rickster is from Emo...do you know him?

Boy...you must think i'm the most ungrateful dude ever...so many invites and still yet to fish with ya. I really appreciate the offers and would almost saw off my...well...leg....to come down. How many hours drive from Dryden are you again...i kinda feel if its gonna happen its gonna be a one day trip..lets just do it!

Another member Rickster is from Emo...do you know him?

No, not ungrateful at all, lol, I'm just giving you a friendly reminder of an invite! haha

If you can make it, great, if not, no big deal. It's not like Dryden isn't near some amazing fishing (Lac Seul)

I think it's about 1.5 hours if I remember correctly. Head down highway 11 until the turn off to Souix Narrows/ Nestor Falls, and we are right at the end of that highway.

Edited by manitoubass2