Anyone Use A Drift Sock?

Andy

I was thinking of buying a drift sock to slow down the drift for walleyes over humps and flats. Anyone use them? Are they handy to use and worthwhile, or are they clumsy to use and used only once or twice before being put away?

Thx. Andy

THEY WORK AMAZINGLY WELL,. :w00t: ...if you are going to do alot of drifting for walleyes depending how big your boat is ,you might need 2 of them one tied at the bow and 1 at the stern to keep your boat drifting evenly,or when you are trolling for walleyes you can deploy one out either side and that will keep even presure on both sides of the boat and will keep you steering straight,they generally are easy to use,and some models have an adjusting rope at the end of the bag so you can determine how much water is going through them ,and also makes it easy to bring them into the boat,you just grab the rope and turn the bag inside out and it comes in so easy,some of the new bags have a floating bouy on them to keep the strap and the bag near the surface so it wont sink to deep,or go under the boat....every serious walleye fisherman has one and some days when its blowing big time ,and the fish are not bitting or you are going to fast it is the only way to get them because the bags will slow you right down .....go get 2 you wont regret it....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I use them all summer long trolling for Walleye & Salmon keep the boat at the perfect speed and stop the boat from going to fast from waves pushing the boat ..you wont be disapointed just dont buy a cheap one becuase they will rip ..

I seem to recall someone on this board making some out of those plastic Ikea bags. I made a couple but I guess my stitching wasn't up to snuff and it came apart. Another project that needs to get done before the season.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a 15 1/2 ' aluminum boat. The one I'll get (Cabela's) comes in a 30" (medium) and 38" (large) size, both recommended for a boat that size. I'm leaning towards getting just one, the larger of the two. Better a size too big than a size too small, I would think. Andy

Hi, Cabela's is a good choise of course, but local tackel shopps like Fishing World, or Grimby Tackel sell them and can give you some good advise. I have 4 of them and take two with me at all times. Ther are only two real points to understand starting out. First, make sure you put the pull in line tied to the loop at small end of the cone - much easier pulling it in with no water in it. Second, make sure you have several places on both sides to tie it off to and that you have ensured these cleates or whatever are well secured.

Wayne

I would recommend 2 if you can swing it, it gives you much better side drift. Also with 2 you can use 1 and slow down a bit or 2 and come to a crawl. They also work great when fan casting an area for pike to give you more time to thoroughly cover the area.

I was thinking of getting a couple as well. Does anyone know what the best way to figure out what size is needed?

I depends on the size of your boat ? and where you fish ? some lakes or water bodies are a lot windier, if your going to get two, go with some smaller ones that way you can go a little faster or slow enough if you have them both out.

I assume these drift socks are nylon? I was thinking one would be good for canoeing in Algonquin so you could bottom bounce in a canoe without being blown across the lake too fast. Anyone ever thought of a modification to make it a canoe sail too?

Do a "Google" search with drift sock and there should be a number of hits about sea kayakers interested in drift socks. Andy