Trailer wheel bearing maintenance

bucktail

My buddy and I were having this discussion the other day wether you need to repack your berrings if you are you using bearing buddies or not.

I have no idea since the bearing buddies apply pressure and hand packing bearings does get the grease in but i dont think it would do it any better then the bearing buddies.

Anybody no the answer or is it one of those questions that is allways asked and has no definate answer?

Darren

I repack almost twice a year, even with bearing buddies I always check my seals any sign of grease coming out of the seal I repack & inspect. Also good idea to carry an extra pregreased hub, spare tire + tools just in case. Better safe then sorry.

The main cause to grease leaking out of the seal is high speed then launching in cold water. I try to avoid but in most cases I can only wait a few minutes before launching:)

My last boat trailer came with an off brand style of bearing buddies, I still repacked the bearings and inspected things once a year, in the fall at the end of my fishing season. I had the boat, motor and trailer for 20 years, and never a problem on the highway. I have seen too many people, in a hurry, lazy, wind up with a problem along side the road after a long day of fishing for me to be comfortable taking a chance.

Like the others said above, simple bearing buddies do little for the inner bearing set, once the hub is full there's no where for the grease to go except out through the rear seal. Is there grease between the seal and inner bearing, can't see it, ya don't know. Warm bearings into cold water, guess where the water gets sucked into, past the seal and into the hub. Even the newer Dexter axles that are specifically made to grease the inners and outers recommend service. If you do your own bearings, go to the bearing shop and get the double lip or double seal bearing, much better quality. I get mine from Canada Bearing in Barrie, seal is made by Chicago Rawhide. It's also recommended to use a quality no wash out grease, similar to what snowmobiles use. I had bearing buddies for a couple seasons, I got rid of them and went back to the tried and true method.

My trailer guys tell me that bearing buddy's are the worst thing invented.

We all keep putting grease in until we fill the cavity, at that point the bearing has so much grease around it may never generate enough heat to turn grease into oil. And that scores your bearing.

My trailer guys tell me that bearing buddy's are the worst thing invented.

We all keep putting grease in until we fill the cavity, at that point the bearing has so much grease around it may never generate enough heat to turn grease into oil. And that scores your bearing.

That is very interesting. Have not heard that one before.

Edited by Bubbles

I have always said Bearing Buddies do NOT get grease to the inside bearing....

I repack my bearing about every 15 years if they need it or not....I'm am not kidding....the trick to good bearing maintenance is do NOT but them in the water...When I got my boat (26 years ago) I lowered the rollers and bunks down as low as they can go BUT kept as much weight on the rollers as possible...then I spray the bunks down ONCE a year with a full can of silicone which drenches with it AND grease the rollers about every 3-4 years......then when I back down to launch or retrieve my boat I stop the trailer just before the hubs go into the water...no water in hubs means no problems down the road.... :thumbsup_anim:

I have always said Bearing Buddies do NOT get grease to the inside bearing....

I repack my bearing about every 15 years if they need it or not....I'm am not kidding....the trick to good bearing maintenance is do NOT but them in the water...When I got my boat (26 years ago) I lowered the rollers and bunks down as low as they can go BUT kept as much weight on the rollers as possible...then I spray the bunks down ONCE a year with a full can of silicone which drenches with it AND grease the rollers about every 3-4 years......then when I back down to launch or retrieve my boat I stop the trailer just before the hubs go into the water...no water in hubs means no problems down the road.... thumbsup_anim.gif

One would think that since the trailer is meant as a means to launch a boat, that they could design bearings that are waterproof and maintenance free.

One would think that since the trailer is meant as a means to launch a boat, that they could design bearings that are waterproof and maintenance free.

They did... they're called Bearing Buddies and a good set of seals! LOL

The mechanic mentioned above only hates them for one reason.. it's cut down on his annual trailer labour income. They work just fine... IF.. AND ONLY IF.. you don't overfill them and blow the rear seal.

Guest gbfisher

Buddies all the way. In the long run they work. Better than nothing. Check your bearings before each trip. If there is 'in and out' play on your wheel...it's time to change your bearings and races.. It is very easy to do. It's all part of pulling a trailer.

The center of my axle is drilled and has a grease fitting. It puts grease on the inner bearing then the outer bearing. :P

With bearing buddies i would repack every year. Be sure to use marine grease.

Edited by glen

You talking a bearing buddy Paul.. grease nipple on a spring loaded plate?? As long as you can rock the plate there is still enough grease in it. When you do grease.. fill until the plate comes back about 1/2 away against the spring. NEVER fill until the plate is bottomed tight to the spring.

bearingbuddys001.jpg

These guys have built and maintained trailers for 30 years and they are saying bearing buddy's are making them money.

Those ones with the grease nibble on the end of your axle are the same as mine. They also have a cigar ring that fits over your axle with a hole in it. Nightmare to find and your inner seal is odd size.

You talking a bearing buddy Paul.. grease nipple on a spring loaded plate?? As long as you can rock the plate there is still enough grease in it. When you do grease.. fill until the plate comes back about 1/2 away against the spring. NEVER fill until the plate is bottomed tight to the spring.

bearingbuddys001.jpg

With Bearing Buddies you are putting ALL your FAITH in that rear (inside) axle seal....as a mechanic almost my whole life I'm not prepared to do that...my "guess" would be 50-60% or more overfill their hubs with Bearing Buddies (as witnessed by grease everywhere) and thus blow out that rear (inside) seal because it's the weakest point within the wheel bearing system....just saying..... :o

I'll stick with not getting the bearings wet.... much like your tow vehicle wheel bearings... :)

my "guess" would be 50-60% or more overfill their hubs with Bearing Buddies (as witnessed by grease everywhere) and thus blow out that rear (inside) seal because it's the weakest point within the wheel bearing system....just saying..... :o

Well thanks for putting me in the upper 40 to 50% Bob.. 'cause I ain't that dumb! .. and if you look at that little avatar to the left I happen to know something about wheels/bearings submerged a good part of their life!

Edited by irishfield

I Dunno Bob. The last thing i'm thinking about whem i'm backing down a ramp is "Oh my w00t.gif I can't get my ball barings wet"glare.gif

And that's the FIRST thing on my mind.....EVERYONE I take is given specific instructions on when and how to stop me from backing down into the water too far....when I'm by myself it may take 1-3 stops before I get it just right.....but you know what Paul......I have gone 15 years without worring about my wheel bearings without repacking them babies (treat them like babies and they last).....do you know anyone else that can say that ??? :dunno:

My old easy loader trailer has a no name set of bearing buddies on it , it has a relief hole drilled in from the side so you can't overfill, once the disc with the nipple gets to the hole the grease just comes out the side. should be simple to modify any set to work the same.

I have 2000 EZ loader trailer that came equipped with "Bearing Buddies." I have yet to repack the bearings. You don't have to worry about getting them wet. When full, the spring is under load creating a positive pressure within the cavity which prevents water from entering. The only maintenance I do is make sure they are kept full. Over time the heat generated will break the grease down and occasional top ups are required. As an indication of being full, grease will show around the plate (pressure relief) that the nipple is attached to. They cannot be overfilled. I check the inner seals regularly for signs of leakage especially before and after long hauls. No issues in ten years.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html