Softwater 2011 Goals

jedimaster

Well, my goal this year year is to put a 6 pounder in the boat during a tournament. Last year I caught several 6+ bass prefishing. So this year I would like to put one in the boat during a tourney.

I am going to be changing it up as last year was a learning experience for me fishing from the back of the boat is alot different. I am going to be moving away from the slow weightless finese fishing, and go more for power fishing with some weighted presentations.I found during the prefishing when I was in my own boat I had lots of time to let the baits hit the bottom but during the tournies I didn't have enough time to hit all the spots I wanted. so this year I am going to change it up.

What is your main goal and how are you going to get there?

Edited by jedimaster

I want to land a few species that I've never caught before.

- My biggest goal is to land a nice brookie on a a dry fly. I started to get into the small stream stuff at the end of last year, but I couldn't find one bigger than about 8".

- I've never caught a crappie or a Musky. These are polar opposites on the gear and style spectrum but hopefully I get a chance to at least try for either.

- I want to top my PB in for SM bass. I have access to a great smallie lake that gets very little fishing pressure at my cottage. Last year, my family put in a new floating dock with a detachable 8x12 piece that has a build in transom. Basically, it's a perfect casting deck, and my girlfriend can just suntan all day while I fish. My PB is a 21"er, but I know there's some pigs in there. I will target them on a fly for the first time.

- Lastly, I hope to catch a Pike that isn't tiny. I've caught tons of pike, but never one greater than 30". I want to try getting out up north for some nice post spawn pike, possibly on flies.

As you can tell I have flies on the brain. I'm addicted.

I want to catch my first Muskie.clapping.gif I got the reel, currado 300E. the Rod Compre 7' HF and Lures, 1 of Roys, and some of MikeP's HandleBarz.Got the new boat coming at the end of April.Need a big game net, and I'm ready to rumble.I have been reading up on the techics and watching videos so i'm ready for themthumbsup_anim.gif

This year I've added swimbaits to my tackle and a bunch of big power worm's, talkin nice 10" worms on big hooks and 3/8-3/4oz sliding weight's fished in deep water, 10-20ft

Goal's are to catch lot's of good bigger than average bass. I didn't catch many small fish the way I fished last summer, caught some more many were 2 and 3lb +...Going to repeat that and the goal is to catch a bass over 7lb's in weight. I've got a few fish that were in the 22 and 23 inch range last year but found them shallow and with empty stomach's...aka long skinny fish...The deeper water makes fish fat...simple

Some more Trout on Lake Ontario will be nice and to beat my PB Pike(36) this spring.

I think that's it :dunno:

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I am looking forward to getting home to the Kawarthas and chasing Crappie in the next couple of weeks!

However, I do have some other fishing goals...

Last year I proved to myself that big swimbaits would work in the Kawarthas/North Kawarthas, but the soft-body baits I used couldn't stand the stress of big bass or toothy critters. Two or three good fish and they fell apart!

Over the winter I bought 4, 6 and 8 inch hard-body swimbaits, some semi-saltwater 6 or 7 inch poppers and a couple of wake-baits that are large enough to fillet...(wicked grin)...Then I built a new rod to throw them. This summer I want to catch bass, pike and musky on these big baits.

Garry2R's