Puddle of grease found under motor

10point

I took my boat out last weekend and last night I found what looked like a puddle of grease about the size of a grapefruit along with a little water under my motor. It appears it came out of the bottom of the motor where the propeller meets the lower unit. The motor is a 2000 9.9 2 stroke Johnson. Plan was to go fishing tomorrow but now I am thinking I might need to take it to a marina. Any ideas?

Oil leaking through the exhaust from fogging it? :dunno: It doesn't take much to get a puddle that size, especially if it's been sitting there for a few months. Water could just be some condensation from the winter months or a bit of water from the engine intake.

Was the motor fogged and the lower unit oil changed before storage? Is it storage in a warm area or cold? What colour in the oil?

Edited by fishnsled

Oil leaking through the exhaust from fogging it? :dunno: It doesn't take much to get a puddle that size, especially if it's been sitting there for a few months. Water could just be some condensation from the winter months or a bit of water from the engine intake.

Was the motor fogged and the lower unit oil changed before storage? Is it storage in a warm area or cold? What colour in the oil?

What fishnsled said, most 2 strokes will have the old burned oil run down the exhaust chute and slowly drip out over time. Now you get to see what you pollute the water with.

Haven't fogged it and I think it just appeared after taking it out the other day. I haven't drained the oil to check for water yet but will tomorrow. The marina here told me a lot of times it can be fishing line and last time I was out I got hung up trolling and had to break the line so that could be it. I will take the prop off tomorrow and see if there is line in it that broke a seal.

Boat is stored in my garage. Can get cold but I do have an insulated door. I am going to have to look at more closely tonight but I think it was like a tan color.

Edited by 10point

Check the lower unit very carefully, look for signs of a crack. A clean paper towell wiped over it will pick up any oil that might be on it. If you do find oil on the towell then you may have had water in the lower unit which froze and could have cracked the housing or if you are lucky just blew the seal. Either way the leak has to be located and repaired before you go anywhere with that motor. If it just blew the seal, consider yourself lucky and remember to drain and refil your lower unit every fall before you put the boat away for the winter.

I took my boat out last weekend and last night I found what looked like a puddle of grease about the size of a grapefruit along with a little water under my motor. It appears it came out of the bottom of the motor where the propeller meets the lower unit. The motor is a 2000 9.9 2 stroke Johnson. Plan was to go fishing tomorrow but now I am thinking I might need to take it to a marina. Any ideas?

It's most likely residue from unburned oil that has drained out the exhaust through the hub in the prop. If it was a lower unit problem then it would be gear oil which has a unique smell and texture. I have the 1996 version of that motor and it drains the residue every year, even if you don't fog it.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin

What Cliff said....but what color is the Oil/Grease......if black it's from the exhaust and forget about it and go fishing....if it's clear like....Houston, we have a problem... :wallbash:

I agree,

If its black its just exhaust, an nothing to worry about.

Same thing happened to me last season....

I ran a lot of Seafoam at the end of the season because I had heard such rae reveiws...not sure if it had anything to due with the increased exhaust oil runoff, but it had me worried as well.

In the end it turned out to be nothing.

But if its creamy lookings....you have a seal issue.

It was creamy and I took it in this weekend. Getting the pressure test done.

Best that you did that before you ran into some major issues on the water. Sounds like a seal but could be as simple as an O ring gasket for the fill, vent, level screws. Hope it's not to painful on the wallet.