Ice Out Chrome Bullets

solopaddler

It's been a long winter for me. I've managed to sneak out here and there, but my work schedule and the arrival of a new puppy in early Jan have conspired to keep me mostly house bound.

My sanity was salvaged this past weekend when Bill and I managed to sneak away for a couple of days to a favourite river.

She had blown out days earlier and was finally wide open to the lake. Definitely off coloured but eminently fishable.

Incredibly over the course of two days we fished entirely by ourselves. An amazing occurence since it's a popular river. We weren't complaining though.

I think most people believed the river was too dirty.

That combined with the fact the access parking lot wasn't plowed kept the hordes away.

March2011Steelhead035.jpg

Getting in was no problem, but ascending the steep windy hill in my Accord was a bit sketchy on the way out.

Made it though. :)

Fishing was spectacular, the numbers of fish were ridiculous. I'd throw out a number but it might be hard to believe. :)

90% weren't big, but they were bright chrome bluebacked fish that fought with fury even in the cold water.

Giant chartreuse bags with a tag of pink yarn were the ticket in the first half of the day on Saturday.

As the water cleared small pink and white maribou jigs tipped with either maggots or a pinhead shiner destroyed fish.

Many of the takes were breathtaking with the float being ripped under lightning fast.

I have a huge number of pic's but I'll just post a few, all the fish look the same anyway. :lol:

March2011Steelhead020.jpg

March2011Steelhead023.jpg

March2011Steelhead025.jpg

March2011Steelhead031.jpg

March2011Steelhead032.jpg

Mixed in with the small chromers were a few larger specimens.

This clean looking buck smashed my jig and put up a heckuva tussle:

March2011Steelhead038.jpg

Also caught a handful of fat old egg wagons loaded with loose roe. :D

This one wallowed around like an old sow when I stuck her. :)

March2011Steelhead033.jpg

Yesterday before we left for home we decided to keep a few of the small chromers to eat. There's not much better table fare imo (well, maybe brook tout ;) ).

March2011Steelhead048.jpg

All in all a truly outstanding trip.

There's a few board members who should have been there (Brian, Phil, Craig... :whistling: )

Next time boys. Things will be real interesting from here on in, lots more opportunities in the next month or so.

Cheers, Mike

BUDDY! I walked into my office this morning and opened the window which faces east...enjoyed a wicked sunrise to the first sounds of singing birds.... then topped it off with my first Solo report of the season. That's right...Spring is here for me! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks dude! Light 'em up this season!

Cheers,

Ryan

BUDDY! I walked into my office this morning and opened the window which faces east...enjoyed a wicked sunrise to the first sounds of singing birds.... then topped it off with my first Solo report of the season. That's right...Spring is here for me! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks dude! Light 'em up this season!

Cheers,

Ryan

If you have time this spring and want to get out, just ask. :)

Can I sign up for a centrepin lesson soon? whistling.gif

Anytime bud.

Sweet. Nice pics.

Should have been there, I know, but in the end I made some major brownie points at home and got ahead on some work. To the point I've just booked an "offsite meeting" for tomorrow with a client named Mr. Steel.

Must remember sunscreen.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Sweet. Nice pics.

Should have been there, I know, but in the end I made some major brownie points at home and got ahead on some work. To the point I've just booked an "offsite meeting" for tomorrow with a client named Mr. Steel.

Must remember sunscreen.

Brownie points are always good.

I think you picked a good day. The entire week looks fantastic actually with the warm temps.

I'm working the Sportsmans Show this week. :( (Not really complaing, it'll be fun. :) )

Great report Mike.Have to wait til home to se the pics.

Looks like I missed a good time and with all those fish,I would of had lots of practice with the reel. :D

Soon we will get out.Im just waiting for a guy to have a cold one with thats to drop off some supplies.Bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :whistling:

Edited by Misfish

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet... i just took out the float rod yesterday.

unfortunately the rivers i saw on my ride home saturday were more suitable for ice fishing yet...

i hope this thread will at least scratch the itch a little.