NF - Blackberry Torch vs. iPhone 4

Parisite

Hi all,

I currently use the LG Optimus Quantum with Windows Phone 7 and I love it.

Unfortunately I have to give it up. I am changing employers and it belongs to my current employer.

My new employer is giving me the option of the BB Torch or the iPhone 4.

I visited the cell store tonight, played with both and couldn't really make a decision.

I found the keypads on both a little tricky (Big thumbs, small keys) and I'm used to the slide out keypad on the Windows Phone.

The primary use will be for business. Seamlessly syncing email, contacts, calendar and tasks is very important. Texting is high on the usage list as well.

Taking pictures of shimmering silver rainbows and buttery browns will be required as well. (I can't wait for the last Saturday in April)

Do you currently have one of these models?

Any feedback or advice???

Thanks.

I have a torch it has all the normal BB crap freezing, lost cursor. I think the ones on the shelf now have had a fix done to them since mine was out it was out less than a month when I got mine .I would say the torch is more geared for business than I-phone but the apples have lots of cool apps that you can't get on BB I like my torch I'm just not to sure of how long it's gonna last the slider is already feeling sloppy.

I've had a blackberry since 05 so my pick is biased but pthere's nothing wrong with either phone(Wife has the Torch). She also had the Samsung Galaxy for a short while before it (Android phone) and it was incredible, I like that phone better than the iphone. Better specs, better screen.

Personally I HATE typing on a touchscreen, I just can't get use to it. I mistype constantly. The blackberry torch fixes that problem at least for me (I have a Bold, they are rumours of a Bold touchscreen coming out soon which will be my next upgrade).

Also, if you are at all concerned with data plans, blackberries use considerably less data for nearly everything. Everything is compressed, apps are tiny because a lot of blackberries have limited internal storage so you will save a lot of $ each month with a smaller data plan (It's why the Galaxy was returned for the Torch). The iphone has no compression at all and uses more data than any other phone on the market (I just went through this last week). The average Blackberry Bold app/game is only about 2MB or less. Angry Birds for the Samsung Galaxy (Android) is about 100MB. Do the math lol.

Edited by Governator

Had a blackberry for 7 years, just got an iphone4 less than a year ago and i'll never go back, people always say blackberry is more geared towards business but i know a lot of business people that are switching to iphone, push email everything so i'd say go more with the iphone, you'll get more out of it!

Depends on your use...personally, I hate touch screens to type on so if you send a lot of texts or e-mails you will learn to dislike the Iphone quickly. I have never used the Torch, had opportunity to get one this week when I replaced my old Blackberry. I decided to go with the latest BB Bold as I liked the keyboard a lot and the new BB op system is pretty much the same on the Torch and the Bold. I can offer you this........I have 6 friends who have Torch's....4 of them wish they had gone with the latest Bold instead.

If you like fishing, you need an iphone! Navionics at $13 gets you 200 dollars or so ahead without having to buy the navionics chip for GPS's and Fishfinders.

And you get a bunch of other cool apps that go with it.

I have the iphone 3 (not 4 yet) and the Torch ... I Really like my iphone ... but I use my BB for email ... just can't powertype on a touch screen ... (I have fat fingers I guess) .... I also LOVE the 5 mega pixel camera/video on the Torch (dont need ot carry a separate camera any more)... and the apps for the BB are getting better ... still not quite as cool as my iphone (imho)... but hey I do have shazaam and google search (with voice to text) and they work well on both devices ...

I have had both. I am using an IPHONE 4 now. It really depends on what busines you are in. If you are in a business for example I.T. Iphone may be a little difficult to type cuz the auto correct will drive you nuts.( does not like accornyms) If you are in sales, Account management or even exec. I would reccommend that you go with the Iphone. It's great at showing documents, keeping your travel itinerary in order and not to mention the 10,000 apps you can entertain yourself with. the Wifi on the IPHONE is amazing. Very easy to connect so if you have a chance connect to WiFi whenever possible to lighten the load on your usage.

I switched and I was a VERY loyal BB user. be patient with the keyboard. Best tip i got was don't think about whether or not your going to press the right keys. Just type ( touch) it as if it was a keyboard and you'll be fine. I actually type faster on the Iphone than i ever did on my Crackberry.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Good point, ive had months where i've sent 3-4 thousand texts and many many emails on my iphone, don't let people fool you, the keyboard is the least of your worries. if you like pulling the battery out 3 or 4 times a day and waiting 5 minutes for your phone to load back up then go with the blackberry. just talking from personal experience.

My brother got the Torch through Rogers. It kept freezing and whatever, so he had them replace it.

The replacement wasn't any better.

He now has the new Bold and hasn't had any problems.

The reason why people have some freezing issues with blackberry is because you need to actually close the applications, hitting the back button just hides them and not actually closes them which most people don't realize. The limited memory in them (at least older versions of the phone) will crash from it. You can configure one of the side buttons to be an "application switcher" on the bold/curve and that way you can jump between opened programs and close them as needed. This opens up memory and voila your phone will speed up again. Knowing what's opened and closed is the key to keeping it running smoothly, it has nothing to do with the amount of texts or emails sent/day.

Also the blackberry app world is a piece of junk and a memory hog. If downloading is your thing, skip BB all together imo.

Edited by Governator

For you fat fingered people, download the app Dragon Dictation from the app store. Just talk into the mic and it does all the typing for you. You can use it for text, email, facebook..... whatever you want. Not sure if its available for BB. I'm an iphone user. Works amazing. I even use it for work when I don't want to type out a long document. Just talk into the mic, email it to myself, copy and paste it to word.

One thing i have noticed is that reception seems be be lower on the iphone compared to the BBs. All the iphone users in my office don't get reception in our building. The only way is to find the sweet spot and park the phone there. No problems for the BB users.