Musky Gear

Mike01

So I'm thinking of doing some more serious musky and pike fishing this year but don't really have the rod/reel to handle those big baits. I'm looking for something with a lower(not cheap) cost. What are you guys using or would recommend?

most baitcast reels will do just fine for ya. a 300 curado is a great choice, even finding a saltwater baitcaster can be an excellant choice due to line capacity and drag.

for rods, take ur pick, shimano has a bunch that will be great and made for muskie, st croix premier muskie rods are awesome and good price on them too.

I love my curado 300 series reel with the compre rod

..ditto. I have the same set-up and love it. At a slightly lesser price I have an Abu "Record" on a compre rod which has also been good to me. Even less than that get an ABU 6500...pretty sure every musky fisherman has had a 6500 at some point! Have had some of those pete maina reels from bps but they did not hold up for me, couldn't take the wear and tear.

So I'm thinking of doing some more serious musky and pike fishing this year but don't really have the rod/reel to handle those big baits. I'm looking for something with a lower(not cheap) cost. What are you guys using or would recommend?

Low range - Abu 6500c3 + 7'6" or 8' Shimano Compre musky rod. This setup will run you about $300 after tax.

Mid range - Curado 300 + Shimano Compre musky rod. This should run you about $400

High range - Calcutta 400 TE + St. Croix Legend Big Nasty = Big time $$$, approx $800

If you are just planning on fishing musky a couple of days a year then I would recommend the Abu/Compre combo. This combo is cheap and servicable. However, I was once a in your position and made a similar post on the old OFC forum and I ended up purchasing the Abu/Compre combo. Now 5 or 6 years later I have 3 "high range" combos. Musky fishing is very addicitive and if you are anything like me then I would suggest you just save yourself the time and buy the high end combo and enjoy it. :D

Edited by Whitemikeca

I too am a big fan of the Shimano Curado 300E. Though I don't think its a good all-around Muskie reel, it doesn't hold alot of line and doesn't have a clicker, two things that are nice features for trolling. I am assuming you want 1 rod that does everything to start.

The Abu Garcia C3 6600 is a good starter reel, holds lots of line and has a clicker if you want to troll with your rod in a rod holder.

As stated good rod choices that won't bankrupt you are the Shimano Compre and St.Croix Premier, or St.Croix Muskie Mojo.

Lots of good Muskie guys here so you can learn alot by asking questions.

I have a Revo Toro and a winch (not the revo). I like the winch paired with a compre when casting. I am looking to get an extra heavy rod to pair with the Toro. I am happy with the toro and winch. If you got the winch it could double as a cranking reel. If I was looking to go for both pike and musky I would go with the winch, but to be honest the curado is probably just as good. THe best advice I can give you is not to cheap out on a rod. I have a rapala magnum and the compre is vastly superior. I do not think it can be beat for it's price.

great info, thanks. I'm thinking of trying the bps inshore reels anyone ever use one? I'm guessing I'll go with a compre rod somewhere close to 8'.

As for trolling I've got a couple tekota 500's, so I'm set for that.

Edited by Mike01

60 series Revo Toro which has the line out clicker, is low profile and comfortable for casting and both trolling, paired with a 8ft compre, the Revo Toro comes in 3 gear ratios the WINCH 4:6 retrieve for casting big double blades. Also a 5:4 which would be a great ratio for most fishing requirements, and a high speed 6:4 retrieve for burning small blades, and also takes up the slack quickly when fishing jerk baits, they also come with 2 handles a power handle and a double paddle handle 450.00 for the combo if you hit a sale that might get you taxes in Good luck in your choice

great info, thanks. I'm thinking of trying the bps inshore reels anyone ever use one? I'm guessing I'll go with a compre rod somewhere close to 8'.

As for trolling I've got a couple tekota 500's, so I'm set for that.

A previous thread mentioned that Lebarons has Revo Toros starting at 195.00 that it a fantastic price for a truly incredible reel you will not be disappointed

The Okuma rods are great for the price. BUT, don't cheap out too much on the reel. You'll just end up spending on a good reel later. I'd second the ABU Record 60, it's a good reel for a decent price. You can spend more on a low profile reel but they aren't the greatest when it comes to trolling because they just don't have the line capacity. A Shimano Calcutta B is also a good option but is a bit more dough.

If you're looking for a 1 reel / 1 rod solution I wouldn't recommend a 300 Curado for the reel. First, no clicker for trolling... secondly they don't last when throwing big dbl 10's. I do have a curado 301 and love it but I never use it for dbl 10's. I throw dbl 8's and top water baits with it and it's great.

Re line capacity, I checked the boxes on my reels Revo Toro 250 yrds of 14lb and has a line out alarm great for both trolling and casting. Calcutta TE 250 yrds of 14lb so their is not much difference in line capacities between these 2 great reels, for comfort when casting Revo Toro all the way. Calcutta 300 is no where close to the Revo Toro

Re line capacity, I checked the boxes on my reels Revo Toro 250 yrds of 14lb and has a line out alarm great for both trolling and casting. Calcutta TE 250 yrds of 14lb so their is not much difference in line capacities between these 2 great reels, for comfort when casting Revo Toro all the way. Calcutta 300 is no where close to the Revo Toro

Not to knock the Revo Toro as I will likely buy a Revo Winch this year but I have heard a few stories of guys having mechanical trouble with them, I know alot of Muskie guys that are using the Shimano 300DHV and 300E, I have yet to hear of any trouble...

The 8'6" XH BassPro Musky rod is a great all around stick at a great price - almost as nice as my Legend Slingblade.

The Cardiff 300 series reels are reliable, comfortable, durable and affordable.

Garcias always break on me and the winch or the Shimano Curados are not very affordable.

I fish 30 muskie days a year on the cardiff basspro setup and it holds up well for me

Landry

I have an 8' St. Croix Premier All-Purpose, which is just awesome and a 6501C3 Abu Garcia...both were a wedding present from my wife.......Killer combo as far as I am concerned.

As a sidebar, I have been fishign muskeis for about 5 years and have just staretd a website to show some of the things that I use and the techniques that I incorporate and the structure that I fish to try and better myself and others that care to read what I have to say. I'm going to log all of my trips with as much detail as I can for this season so feel free to check it out and let me know if there are other things you would like to know or see. I just started it last week so there's still some work to be done but the feedback thus far has been pretty positive and I am hopeful to have it in top shape come the opener.

Cheers

Brian

http://ontariooutdoors.weebly.com

I've never been a fan of Abu Garcia, I've just never liked the design and fit and finish of their reels. I'm heading down to bps this weekend and I'll check out some of the stuff first hand. I'm also going to Florida next month and may pick up a reel down there. I'm seriously considering getting a saltwater inshore reel.