Neighbors house caught fire

ChrisK

Today I was blowing out my drive when my neighbor came out of her house in her stocking feet waving her arms in the air. I shut down the blower so I could here her better. She was yelling the house was on fire,oh crap !! Sure enough there was smoke coming out the front door so I ran in to see how bad it was. The fireplace was engulfed in flames licking to the ceiling....No fire extinguisher,and no way to get water to it so I told her to hold the front door open and step back. I took a snow shovel and started shoveling snow from the front of the house in through her living room and dumped in on the fire. Seemed to be working so I continued until the flames came down and eventually went to a smolder. I think that took about five minutes and then I could here the fire engines in the back ground...The whole time I was taking big breaths of air every time I went out for more snow because the house was totally filled with smoke. When the fire department arrived the fire was pretty much out due to the melting snow.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.....Heres a pic of one of the fire units in front of my driveway and another next door with the fire fighters....

DSC03193.JPG

DSC03190.JPG

Way to go Chris ! . One of employees Dad's house burned to the ground just a month ago (her first day on the job!). Same cause - fireplace. He is a widower and in his 80's. Lost everything - photos, memories, wedding china etcs. Nothing left. Your quick thinking paid off in ways beyond just saving the house!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Dude you are definately a hero it's hard to keep cool in a house full of smoke .I had a total loss house fire about 6-7 years ago and I spent several minutes in the fully involved fire looking for my wife who had jumped from the second story window already. once I saw her safe outside, I went back in for my dog which had already be overwhelmed by the smoke. it has been by far the worst thing I have ever gone through physically I still am not 100% from it my sinus and lungs have given me lots of problems ever since .I had 1st degree burns on my hands and back form crawling around under the ceiling fire. glad you got it out! .Again dude if you feel bad go to the hospital and get checked out smoke inhalation is nothing to mess with.Good job a lot of people wouldn't even consider doing what you did :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks all for the kind words. Just to let you all know the paramedics came to my side shortly after they showed up and chatted with me asking questions like,are you short of breath and did you get close enough to the fire to inhale the fumes and such. At that point I was already back to blowing out my other neighbors driveway, so they say,guess your all right then ? I said,ya,I'm alright and yes I'm out of breath but only cause I'm fat and out of shape and I just did the equivalent to running a quarter mile :D

I said,ya,I'm alright and yes I'm out of breath but only cause I'm fat and out of shape and I just did the equivalent to running a quarter mile biggrin.gif

LMAO.... Well you are over 50 now so who cares, I believe it's acceptable, I hope. whistling.gif

And remember, round is a shape. thumbsup_anim.gif

Well done and quick thinking Chris. When a crisis comes it is often hard to see what ELSE is on hand to solve the problem. I hope she remembers what your favourite beer is if not remind me and I will serve you one at Lak Air.

Art

LMAO.... Well you are over 50 now so who cares, I believe it's acceptable, I hope. whistling.gif

And remember, round is a shape. thumbsup_anim.gif

Ya had to go and say it.....over 50

Just had a chat with the neighbor who owned the house with the fire. She said she was just getting dressed to go out shopping and would of been out of the house for a few hours.OMG !! This could of been a total disaster especially since this house is a semidetached with two older retires next door and both homes have pets...

I just thank god that somehow this turned out the way it did...

Well done and quick thinking Chris. When a crisis comes it is often hard to see what ELSE is on hand to solve the problem. I hope she remembers what your favourite beer is if not remind me and I will serve you one at Lak Air.

Art

Thanx Art. Its funny how fast things happen when adrenaline takes you for a ride.

We will have a couple of beers at Lakair together for sure like all the other times and lots of storys....

cheers to you buddy.the fishing gods owe you one

They don't owe him anything. I'm surprised he doesn't sink in the river with all those horseshoes weighing him down!

Good on you Chris. Quick thinking and selfless action should earn you homemade pies for life!!

BTW Chris, you have a snowblower? Are you busy this afternoon? :)

JOB WELL DONE.......tooooot.gif

Hope you are feeling well later as smoke can do damage to the lungs...there are SOOOOOO MANY chemicals in a house fire...

Don't hesitate to be checked out at a local hospital if you don't feel right...

AGAIN....JOB WELL DONE.... :)

They don't owe him anything. I'm surprised he doesn't sink in the river with all those horseshoes weighing him down!

Good on you Chris. Quick thinking and selfless action should earn you homemade pies for life!!

BTW Chris, you have a snowblower? Are you busy this afternoon? :)

Brian, Ive done four driveways this morning. Broke one auger sheer pin and pretty sure the auger belt is on its way as well. As for them horse shoes,got rid of all those awhile back and replaced them with cute little fuzzy rabbits. :lol:

JOB WELL DONE.......tooooot.gif

Hope you are feeling well later as smoke can do damage to the lungs...there are SOOOOOO MANY chemicals in a house fire...

Don't hesitate to be checked out at a local hospital if you don't feel right...

AGAIN....JOB WELL DONE.... :)

Thats what the medics told me as well Billy Bob. So far so good !! Time to take Sam to the doggy park :)