Walmart

I have the option of unlimited OT... but then again I am a small business owner.. so it is part of the norm now.. 14 hours yesterday and 12 today.. Ohh joy.. sleeping_02.gif

i hear ya. I own mine too, and the job is never done.Trick is to put yourdelf on the payroll like my employees. That way you can take some cash out and put it down as o/t.

Chris,you could ask the same about all the big stores.Canadian tire aint no dif.Future shop?Does anyone call a tv repair guy anymore? Hell,is there any? sarcasm.gif

There is!but hes thrown his tools down for retirement. Hes done the sales at future shop and walk out! Hes not an insurance salesman! Notsarcasm.gif

Overtime? I worked 21 days straight, 10 hours per day, 7 days off for 8 months straight last year. I'll be starting the same hours next week for a couple of months at least and hopefully more. I just finished closing a 3000 hour bid today with the same hours. 4 more months of the same if I'm lucky. It doesn't leave much time for fishing, but supporting my family comes first.

agreed Dan, I am billing T&M to the company I am subbing from.. I am loving it. making more then then my ex-union brothers and am my own boss, I know this is the exception to the rule.. but for the time being, I am riding the train. This company is run by good people, I am the only subbie still working because of my work ethic and quality ( jobs are given to me first.. if I want them)... there is something to be said for turning out a quality finished product. You bash tin, I bash wood. Hell for 40 an hour I will bash cow shart.

Glad to see you are doing well brother, tell Nita I say Hello.

G

Edited by Gerritt

agreed Dan, I am billing T&M to the company I am subbing from.. I am loving it. making more then then my ex-union brothers and am my own boss, I know this is the exception to the rule.. but for the time being, I am riding the train. This company is run by good people, I am the only subbie still working because of my work ethic and quality ( jobs are given to me first.. if I want them)... there is something to be said for turning out a quality finished product. You bash tin, I bash wood. Hell for 40 an hour I will bash cow shart.

Glad to see you are doing well brother, tell Nita I say Hello.

G

Agreed Gerritt. I feel fortunate to be in the position that I am as a tradesman. Just for fun, here's a shot of some of my work from last week at the Red Lake airport. And I'll certainly tell Nita that you said hello.

rl2.jpg

Very nice!, good to know you are kept busy :) I do have a question, when i am working in schools and hospitals etc. I see you're union stickers attached to ducting.. is this mandated? LOL! (insert my smile and laughter here) for the last 6 months I have been doing mostly residential work, luckily for me everyone needs insurance :) and in my favour is Hamilton's failing infrastructure :) time for me to find someone to hire and bring on as an apprentice.. I have been looking for months... it has been difficult to say the least. laziness everywhere.. not to mention finding someone that is willing to go back to school... or those without even grade 12...

the guys I think that will be good, cannot enter apprenticeship based upon their lack of grade 12...

difficult to say the least...

I am not looking for labour... as I can pickup anyone for that purpose anywhere...

frustrating to say the least.

G

Clearly walmart is the devil..... But i truly wonder how long it will take before the price of cheap chinese crap starts to skyrocket...

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/wage-inflation-rampant-china-more-provinces-plan-minimum-salary-hikes

Interesting times we live in.... :dunno:

SOON, I hope...that will make the USA and Canada more competitive...

in the 1950s GM was the biggest employer in north america.. families were doing fine with 1 income..

today wallmart is the biggest employer ..try making wallmart the only income in your family today..

In todays economy, there arent many jobs out there, that pay enough to support a familly on one salary.I cant even see how you guys make it in Ontario. I am originally from Ottawa, and still have familly there.The rent and property values are out of this world compared to here in Quebec.

Hate to burst your bubbles folks, but Walmart is no different than most retailers. Most only pay minimum or a little more.

Yes grocery store clerks get more per hr, thanks to a union, but 90% of them only get part-time hours and have to hold down 2 jobs.

Walmart as many box stores have the inherrent sadness. employees that can only tell you the price or sku nu. knowledge of products is non existent in these businesses. sadly minimum wages ,and untrained employees, brings this about.the definition of wal-mart is vacuum cleaner in many areas.

Hate to burst your bubbles folks, but Walmart is no different than most retailers. Most only pay minimum or a little more.

Yes grocery store clerks get more per hr, thanks to a union, but 90% of them only get part-time hours and have to hold down 2 jobs.

My wife works PT at No Frill and she is union and still makes minimum wage and the union is there every week collecting there dues and trust me these employees get nothing from the union for their dues, don`t get me started on unions!

Sadly, my principles take a back seat to my budget when shopping.

I know it's a tough go for local small-business retailers, but I only have so much discretionary income, so if I can find something cheaper at Walmart or on eBay, that's where I'll buy it.

Even Walmart has its competition for price on certain things.

Latest example - an SVGA cable for hooking my laptop to the TV. Walmart price - $25. EBay price - $3 (including shipping). All I have to do is be patient and wait for the mail. For the $22 that stays in my pocket, I can do that.

For me, a local retailer has to sell stuff I can't easily get (or have shipped from) somewhere else. Or he has to provide value-added service or warranty.

I just can't afford to go any other way, unless the difference is negligible.

Sadly, my principles take a back seat to my budget when shopping.

I know it's a tough go for local small-business retailers, but I only have so much discretionary income, so if I can find something cheaper at Walmart or on eBay, that's where I'll buy it.

Even Walmart has its competition for price on certain things.

Latest example - an SVGA cable for hooking my laptop to the TV. Walmart price - $25. EBay price - $3 (including shipping). All I have to do is be patient and wait for the mail. For the $22 that stays in my pocket, I can do that.

For me, a local retailer has to sell stuff I can't easily get (or have shipped from) somewhere else. Or he has to provide value-added service or warranty.

I just can't afford to go any other way, unless the difference is negligible.

I think the same way as you and have a similar experience. I wanted a usb cable for my cel phone. $29.95 where I got my phone. I found one on Ebay for a buck and a quarter. Less than 5 bucks to my door from the US. I too shop around and don't care where I buy from. My hard earned money is better in my pocket than anyone elses.

My wife works PT at No Frill and she is union and still makes minimum wage and the union is there every week collecting there dues and trust me these employees get nothing from the union for their dues, don`t get me started on unions!

Don't get me started either. Even though I have plenty of time to do so, because I'm off work due to an injury that occurred off the job…and I'm still getting nearly full pay. I happen to work for a company that is unionized, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with the short-term disability coverage I am currently making use of. Probably the folks at Walmart and the like have the same plan, as most employers would eagerly offer to cover such an expense out of the kindness of the hearts, and not because it's their obligation under some sort of collective bargaining agreement.