Finesse Fishing

Gregoire

Today I went out to buy a new reel. I was torn between the Shimano Stradic CI4F1000 microline and the Pflueger Patriarch 9525. I dragged my sorry :asshat: to LeBarons Markham to compare the two and make a choice. Lesson learned: call in advance to make sure that they have the reels that you want. When I got to LeBarons I learned that they do not carry the microline and they were sold out of the 9525. Oh well I can go to bass pro. Called ahead and they were sold out of both. I did get to hold the CI4 1000 in my hand and compared it to the FI 1000. In my opinion the CI4 was much lighter. Called the Missisuagua LeBarons, they won't have any more 9525's till March.

I had the new tackle high going and was pissed that I left empty handed. I wanted to use the reel ice fishing, and waiting till March was too long. I decided to order online. Probably won't get it till mid February, as it is coming from Thailand. Looked to order from the US but was 20 bucks more.

In my search I noticed that the reel was low stock or sold out from many retailers. Is a move towards finesse fishing with light lines and lighter reels/rods the latest trend?

My next quest will be a search for a softwater rod to pair with this reel. I'm already preparing my rant for that experience.

it does seem like a new trend.Especially Bass fishing.Seems like all the shows on WFN are teaching this technique these days.Dave Mercer's show was on microline techniques this week.Looks like something i'm gonna learn, for those tough days on the water.

I had the new tackle high going and was pissed that I left empty handed. I wanted to use the reel ice fishing, and waiting till March was too long. I decided to order online. Probably won't get it till mid February, as it is coming from Thailand. Looked to order from the US but was 20 bucks more.

For $20 you could have had the reel in probably a week, I would have gladly paid that instead of waiting another 3 weeks.

For $20 you could have had the reel in probably a week, I would have gladly paid that instead of waiting another 3 weeks.

It was closer to $30. That does not include taxes. I managed to get an Abu Garcia hip bag added to the order for the same price. It will serve me well while shore fishing in the spring.

As far as he money goes I guess I'm just frugal that way, It's not like I don't have other ice fishing reels.

It was closer to $30. That does not include taxes. I managed to get an Abu Garcia hip bag added to the order for the same price. It will serve me well while shore fishing in the spring.

As far as he money goes I guess I'm just frugal that way, It's not like I don't have other ice fishing reels.

Greg did you look at ebay? Some good CI4 deals there. Ci4 1000

I think you will like the CI4. It's a really good reel. Finesse does seem to be the "new" trend that the tackle companies are pushing. An ultra lite setup can be really fun to fish with, but I prefer the big baits for big fish mentality most the time.

Edited by Whitemikeca

I did. Two problems:

1. With shipping that works out to $203. With customs (in my experience that is hit or miss) that would be more than the 218 they are charging at LeBarons

2. It is not the microline. For some reason I had my heart set on that one or the Patriarch.

3. The weight on that reel is off. According to the Shimano site the CI4f1000 is 6.2 oouces and the microline is 6.2. I don't trust a seller that does not have accurate info.

I bought the Patriarch off ebay. Shipping for the reel was 15 bucks. I've never ordered from a retailer outside the US so fingers crossed it all turns out good. I have not paid yet so if I screwed up let me know.

It's not like I don't have other ice fishing reels.

Call me old school (which I am), but I really don't understand the purpose of an ice fishing rod or reel. In my 30+ years of ice fishing, all we ever used was a spool of line and a twig set in the frozen slush. We'd pick our twigs on our way into the lake. We'd tuck our lines under a bud on the twig a few feet over the hole. We'd set it up so that he line would come off of the twig easily. Then we'd tie a strip of orange flaggers tape on the line. The twig was super sensitive. So much so that you could see the action of your minnow swimming most of the time. Since two lines were allowed and you weren't always paying attention, it was an awesome sight to have a look at one of your twigs and not see the flagger tape. That meant fish on. Now this is where the fun started. We'd do a 100 yard dash to our hole, ripping off mitts/gloves on the way and grab the line with bare hands. We'd pick up the line with care until we felt the fish on the line, and then try to determine just what the fish was doing with our bait. Sometimes, especially with Lake Trout, they'd run with the bait and then drop it. With your frozen bare hands you'd have to determine just what was going on beneath the ice. When the magical moment came, you'd set the hook with a sweep of your arm. Fish on!! There's no better feeling than pulling a nice fish hand over hand up through the ice. Living where I do, I've seen 25 lb. Pike, 20 lb. Lakers and 10 lb. Walleye come up through the ice with this method in my day. Given my choice, I'd take the old twig and spool over an ice fishing rod any day. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that you guys that are using ice fishing rods and reels are missing out on what ice fishing is really all about.

Call me old school (which I am), but I really don't understand the purpose of an ice fishing rod or reel. In my 30+ years of ice fishing, all we ever used was a spool of line and a twig set in the frozen slush. We'd pick our twigs on our way into the lake. We'd tuck our lines under a bud on the twig a few feet over the hole. We'd set it up so that he line would come off of the twig easily. Then we'd tie a strip of orange flaggers tape on the line. The twig was super sensitive. So much so that you could see the action of your minnow swimming most of the time. Since two lines were allowed and you weren't always paying attention, it was an awesome sight to have a look at one of your twigs and not see the flagger tape. That meant fish on. Now this is where the fun started. We'd do a 100 yard dash to our hole, ripping off mitts/gloves on the way and grab the line with bare hands. We'd pick up the line with care until we felt the fish on the line, and then try to determine just what the fish was doing with our bait. Sometimes, especially with Lake Trout, they'd run with the bait and then drop it. With your frozen bare hands you'd have to determine just what was going on beneath the ice. When the magical moment came, you'd set the hook with a sweep of your arm. Fish on!! There's no better feeling than pulling a nice fish hand over hand up through the ice. Living where I do, I've seen 25 lb. Pike, 20 lb. Lakers and 10 lb. Walleye come up through the ice with this method in my day. Given my choice, I'd take the old twig and spool over an ice fishing rod any day. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that you guys that are using ice fishing rods and reels are missing out on what ice fishing is really all about.

In todays day and age there would be a cop giving you a ticket for taking a twig from a tree

True enough Dan but you live in a section of Ontario where there is alot more running going on. Not hard to be an all star when the lake is full of fish. I do not disrespect your sentiment as i tend to agree. My jigging rod has a huge effect on my success. Not withstanding all this nostalgia talk.

Not hard to be an all star when the lake is full of fish.

Not sure just what your point is here. I would think that by calling someone an "all star" that they would have the best of everything. I'm saying the opposite is true in this case.

Not sure just what your point is here. I would think that by calling someone an "all star" that they would have the best of everything. I'm saying the opposite is true in this case.

Your sentiment was clearly to state that you do not need much to catch a fish. Just a willow branch. ( which by the way is a decent tool) You live in a pretty good area if you would at least concede that much.

Take your willow branch to the Bay of Quinte and sit in one spot all day and catch a fish.

My point was that you are living in an area stuffed with fish and scolding the rest of us for our use of technology.

it is old school and is fine but

many like to use artificial bait and trick the fish into biting, so you need finesse equipment to do it and you are actually involved in the catching of the fish, many get a sense of accomplishment out of that

and in this area the regs are you need to be within 197 ft of your rods not 300 ft or you are breaking the law, so we never have to do a 100 yard dash. but .that might be why we are all fat and lazy down here ..LOL

We had a thread or two in the past with folks using dollar store baits and very rudimentary equipment. It would be really nice to have a thread with members using a willow switch for on ice fishing..post pics and videos. That'd be great!

I hand lined a 35lb Blue Catfish last year just to see if I could. I did cheat in one way I used my Kevlar fillet gloves to keep the power pro from slicing my hands. The downside was the battle took its toll on the line it was covered with nicks and frays from the gloves and was no longer usable so I decided to stop the practice. I might give it a try with leather and 60lb mono this year though.

Art

I like to fish both ways still. If I'm going out to simcoe, I use rods and electronics because I've seen days when lakers will only hit your minnow or artificial on the chase (when you mark a fish and start reeling and pulling it away). But if I'm backlake fishing for specs or something, the ol' willow rig is hard to beat.

I've also got back into fishing with the old school wooden tipups this year, although the line tangles have me using it in combination with a rod/reel and clothespin now. When your fishing in 90+ feet a reel is a nice place to keep all that line! Theres something about watching that ol' wooden tipup rocking back and forth that exciting, if you have a good setup you can even tell when a fish is down there because your minnow starts swimming harder and the tipup starts rocking harder. Maybe it's just the nice break from staring at the finder too.

Sometimes we get caught up in all the new gear and hype we forget how fun some of the old stuff was, so don't be afraid to bring it back to the old school!

Today I went out to buy a new reel. I was torn between the Shimano Stradic CI4F1000 microline and the Pflueger Patriarch 9525. I dragged my sorry :asshat: to LeBarons Markham to compare the two and make a choice. Lesson learned: call in advance to make sure that they have the reels that you want. When I got to LeBarons I learned that they do not carry the microline and they were sold out of the 9525. Oh well I can go to bass pro. Called ahead and they were sold out of both. I did get to hold the CI4 1000 in my hand and compared it to the FI 1000. In my opinion the CI4 was much lighter. Called the Missisuagua LeBarons, they won't have any more 9525's till March.

In my search I noticed that the reel was low stock or sold out from many retailers. Is a move towards finesse fishing with light lines and lighter reels/rods the latest trend?

My next quest will be a search for a softwater rod to pair with this reel. I'm already preparing my rant for that experience.

Have you tried this site?

Good Luck