ADVICE on a good ice fishing reel...

Familyfisherman

I've used multiple ice fishing reels over the last couple of years. Most came with a combo, and were fairly low end.

This year I special ordered an HT reel -- it had 7 bearings and was the best I could find in their magazine, but last week I took it out to try and twice the line was caught in the roller :(

Not exactly what I was hoping for...I'll be returning it.

Any thoughts on a mid-range reel for WF and trout -- I usually use 8lb braid, fish are mostly 3-6lbs, largest last year was 21 but that's rare. In the $30-$50 range would work.

Thanks for any opinions...

I use the same reels on my ice rigs as I do all softwater season. Some baitcasters, some spinning. Don't cheap out on reels for icefishing, they are the most important part of your whole set up out there, and the most likely to fail in the elements!!

S.

I have to agree with sinker. Most importat part of your set up by far... I use mainly shimano stradic, sahara, etc in the 750 size... Perfect size for icefishing. Not to bulky and it holds more then enough line for deep water

Some of the lakers and even whities in Simcoe go on long long runs, a 750 loaded with braid would be pushing it.. I'd definitely step up to a minimum of a 1000 or 1500.

Line also make s a big difference, braid tends to hold a lot more water then mono does and will ice up the bail roller in no time, no matter what reel you are using.

Bought a combo outfit at Canadian Tire for half price 2 years ago for around 29 dollars with an accucast reel model ACR104A and that has been the best icefishing reel I have ever had.What I do not like about MOST reels in the winter is when it gets cold the bail will not flip over which is very annoying. This reel has never done this!They have some combos this year again at Canadian Tire just waiting for them to come on sale again.

Don't skimp with your ice fishing reels. I use Shimano Saharas for my ice rods. I tried the HT accu-cast and did not like the drag at all. Although I do use them on first ice for perch. When fighting scrappy lakers you really need a smooth drag.

Edited by ckrb2007

Some of the lakers and even whities in Simcoe go on long long runs, a 750 loaded with braid would be pushing it.. I'd definitely step up to a minimum of a 1000 or 1500.

I've caught a few whities and lakers out of simcoe, and even a few from other lakes, and never been close to getting spooled with a 750 series reel. If a fish peels 100ft, I'd be impressed!! A 750 size reel will hold 100 YARDS of line, 300ft. More than enough!

Braided line is the cats meow for any water over 15ft deep. If your roller freezes, so be it, your drag will still work fine.

There are more lakes in ontario than simcoe!!!

S.

I've been using a Symetre for the last few years with no complaints. I got it one sale for around $80.. Maybe a little high for your price range, but I use it in the summer on my walleye rod too. Well worth the money.

I just got an HT reel for my second whitie / laker rod this winter. I've yet to catch anything big on it, so no comments there. The drag seems to suck on it though, so we'll see. It was a christmass present, so I aint complaining!

Good luck Kev..

Edited by NAW

Symetre for $80? Wish I could find them for that....

I have been using Abu Garcia 101's and 301's for the past couple of seasons and have no complaints. I don't fish in a hut and only get out about 8-10 times a season. I just picked up a Daiwa Regal Xia to try this year (the Abu Garcia's the store had in stock were "acting funny").

You should look into the Tica Cetus reels. Although, I can't say I have ever owned one, people rave about them for ice fishing all the time. The Pflueger Trion and the Shimano Sienna also seem popular. Personally I didn't like the feel of the Sienna, so I went with the Daiwa.

Good luck!