ADVICE on a good ice fishing reel...

Familyfisherman

You guys are priceless.. watch the video of Lloyd and his 40lb+ laker from last winter. Over half an hour on 4 lb test, on a tenny reel, in 60+ FOW. He came close to being spooled a few times but percervered. How does one ever get a laker up on a stick and line? :huh:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

He came close to being spooled a few times but percervered. How does one ever get a laker up on a stick and line?

Personally, if I have a big laker on I don't want to "come close" to being spooled but if that's how you old farts get your kicks be my guest. :rolleyes:

Regarding the use of small reels for bigger fish, I've been using my 750 Daiwa Whisker for a long long time. It works great for whities and lake trout, most of the time.

For smallish sized fish it's just fine. A few years back I was actually spooled by a big laker (110 yds of 6lb test..gone).

99.9% of the time the smaller reels are okay. But if there's just a chance for bigger fish I'll use a larger reel now. Once burned, twice shy. :)

Bill has a point.

Edited by solopaddler

You guys are priceless.. watch the video of Lloyd and his 40lb+ laker from last winter. Over half an hour on 4 lb test, on a tenny reel, in 60+ FOW. He came close to being spooled a few times but percervered. How does one ever get a laker up on a stick and line? :huh:

That's quite a feat Wayne. Obviously it's not an impossibility, but more of a fluke than anything else.

By fluke, I mean no one in their right mind would purposely target 40lb fish through the ice with a micro rod and 4lb test.

You want to know why a stick and line works so well?

Even with larger fish if you set the hook fast and haul them up a bunch of feet quickly, many times they get for lack of a better word "discombobulated". Oftentimes they'll come in much faster on a handline because of this.

Edited by solopaddler

I'm seriously laughing my ass off here !!!!

Everything from name calling to discombobulation in one thread.......that's gotta be a record!!! :w00t:

The 750's are fine. I've fished with a line and stick most of my life, and I don't catch any more fish now because of my reel!!! Its not the fancy equipment that catches your fish!!! Time on the water is key....

Edit: There are lots of good reels out there. I personally, am a fan of the Pfleuger line of spinning reels. I find for the price, you really can't go wrong. Thier tough, and dependable. I haven't had a problem with any of mine at all. My go to ice reel is a Diawa Laguna. I've had it for about 4 years and I use it on softwater too. Works fine. Never an issue. I guess what I'm saying is, you don't want to cheap out on a reel, but you don't have to break the bank either.

S.

Edited by Sinker

if yer tired of using crap stop buying it. 5 or 6 crappy reels equals 150$, 1 good one equals 60-70. i like the sedona in this price range and i use them year round at 750 for perch and ice, but 1000 or 1500 if there was to be just one. the abu garcia cardinal is a nice reliable reel for the money. i dont fish enough ice to be a good source but im a long time shimano fan. lots of hits on the sierra im think im going to have to try one.

good luck i think all of these suggestions beat using yer hands but good on the guys that do! my hands get too cold to hold a beer can out there!

I'm seriously laughing my ass off here !!!!

Everything from name calling to discombobulation in one thread.......that's gotta be a record!!! :w00t:

I know, I know it's a big word Shayne. I'll dumb it down for you next time. :lol:

ADVICE on a good ice fishing reel... I'm tired of using crap

Art

Pretty much any quality reel will suffice.

The only relevant thing I can add, if you're fishing outside a lot in sub zero temps, open up your reel, remove all the grease and lubricate with a quality oil.

Quantum hot sauce is good.

Reels with a lot a grease get a bit sludgy in cold temperatures.

Edited by solopaddler

How does one ever get a laker up on a stick and line? huh.gif

The biggest lakers I've ever caught all came through the ice on Simcoe, jigging spoons on a hand line that contained less than 200' of mono, heavy line mind you, no mercy once hooked. :D Oh the good ole days. ;)