Man dies after snowmobile plunges through ice

Grimace

Terrible news. It is that time of year.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=man_dies_after_snowmobile_pl_070111?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories

Easy on the thinning the herd jokes. He is dead. He does not need to be scolded.

A whole lot of pain for that family today

Be careful out there lads, make sure it is not your family sitting on the couch balling their eyes out.

We do silly things sometimes.stretcher.gif

And we don't always realize they are silly until something happens.

I go out on the ice on my ATV when I think the ice is safe, I've never gone out thinking "I wonder if I can find a thin spot and sink my bike"!

My heart goes out to the family.

Easy on the thinning the herd jokes. He is dead. He does not need to be scolded.

A whole lot of pain for that family today

Be careful out there lads, make sure it is not your family sitting on the couch balling their eyes out.

Well said Grimace. Classy post.

But for the grace of God I'm sure many here could have been just as unlucky.

Play safe everyone. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

I feel very bad for the family and send my condolances, but there is a reason I'm sitting here typing this. Not taking my life into my hands even tho I'd love nothing more than to be out on my new sled today.

Joey

I don't have too much experience or knowledge about the regulations of sledding etc. But are there no laws about having to wear a floater suit when driving/sledding on open water? If not, would it not make sense given all the other laws we have like hand-held devices while driving, etc...

Almost wonder if they should include Ice fishing with that as well. Its not even so much to protect the person who is out there, but to reduce the risk of the people who need to rescue them.

just my .02cents

Edited by onebigtoe

Sad news,but,there were guys out there screaming around.One bad spot and yer done.Cracks are forming now and wet spots.Seen a guy headed for BBP today.Thats just asking for trouble.Guess if they feel lucky then,,,,,,,,,,Be my guest.

Edited by Misfish

This happened less than two miles from my house. Where the sleds went through is an unsafe area all winter long with open water in places, nobody has any business being on the ice around those channels and islands at any time unless they're looking for a thrill. These guys were local and should have known better.

By contrast, I have been out with my truck fishing the south end of Chemong all weekend with a solid 11" - 12" of black ice underneath.

Not fishing today Joey :dunno: ...then you will just have to go out and buy accessories for the new sled with the $$$ I gave you and Paul for the floater suit :thumbsup_anim:

Ahh, but we have other plans for that $$$$ Steve. Thanks again tho and it was real nice meeting you and your daughter :thumbsup_anim:

I don't have too much experience or knowledge about the regulations of sledding etc. But are there no laws about having to wear a floater suit when driving/sledding on open water? If not, would it not make sense given all the other laws we have like hand-held devices while driving, etc...

Almost wonder if they should include Ice fishing with that as well. Its not even so much to protect the person who is out there, but to reduce the risk of the people who need to rescue them.

just my .02cents

Well then what do you do for the idiots that go Mach 2 and decide to see if they can push ice ridges out of the way or run into ice huts in the middle of the night. You can't legislate common sense, there's just too many idiots being hatched.

Does it always have to degrade to this? Someone dies because of a tragic mistake and they are idiots! Have you never sped? Have you never taken a chance? Have you never done something just for the thrill of it?

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone!

This happened less than two miles from my house. Where the sleds went through is an unsafe area all winter long with open water in places, nobody has any business being on the ice around those channels and islands at any time unless they're looking for a thrill. These guys were local and should have known better.

By contrast, I have been out with my truck fishing the south end of Chemong all weekend with a solid 11" - 12" of black ice underneath.

Yes and if you had hit a bad spot and gone through and drowned you'd then be classed as an idiot too by some standards. I'm glad it didn't happen to you and I know you would never go where you "thought" the ice wasn't safe. But that is why they are called accidents!

I don't throw them Cliff.. I was running open water on a 340 Johnson back in the mid '70's ! Some times the beaver meadow was a tad to wide though...

LOL Wayne, I've run open water on a sled just to see if I could do it. I made it and we all had a good laugh and re told the story many times.

It only becomes a tradgity when you don't make it. I just don't see the point in calling someone an idiot because they made an error in judgement.

Like I said Cliff, when it comes to these I never throw a stone. Something about past chances taken and Karma all mixed together. Even with 3 feet of ice on the lake, before we even start a sled on Temagami I warn all the guys of at least one place they are NEVER to go on the lake. It may look frozen but it's not. Seems every lake has a spot or two like that, just like this area on Buckhorn.

Sad and scary stuff. I guess the Kawarthas have pretty good currents all over the place. I was told that these guys got disoriented with falling snow. They knew the area but got off track in poor vis. Night time is always more dangerous. If you can't see where you are going then don't go maybe. I'll be keeping this in mind.