All Season Tires

fish_fishburn

I'm a big fan of Michelin, have X-Ice for winter and Pilot Sports for summer and both are great, not sure what the do all season-wise though. They are more expensive but last longer so you'll have more useful tread for next winter.

Motomaster are CT own brand right? Your tyres are your only contact with the road so I wouldn't skimp on them especially as you're asking them to do a job you should really use two different types of tyre for.

Get winter tires .. on winter rims .. and keep them after you upgrade cars ... or sell them with the car ... I did it for the first time in 30 years and honestly wouldn't consider going back. (I opted for the Michelin X-ice ... they are like driving AWD (except they also help you stop (which too many AWD drivers forget about)!

Years ago we all has our snow tires on extra rims but now we have to have tire sensors in each rim so the cost is prohibited at $100 or more per tire sensor....... :wallbash:

no arguements there Paul,thumbsup_anim.gif i drove with a/s radials for 30 years, only had 1 accident caused by someone else with a/s radials.

It took a law forcing me to buy winter radials for me to really see the difference.and I DO really see the diference in traction and ability to manouver safely.It really is like night and day.If you have never tried both, you can not know the dif i'm talking about.

Paul, the way I look at it is. Not how I ended up in the ditch.But do I have tires on

my truck that's going to get me out of the ditch,Before the cops show up. :w00t:

In quebec do they make Tractor trailers use winters?? There is the bulk of your accidents.

just how many accidents a year are trucks responsible for?

and how many accidents are there, that are not trucks?

i for 1 would love to see the stats on it!

please post the numbers !!

just how many accidents a year are trucks responsible for?

and how many accidents are there, that are not trucks?

i for 1 would love to see the stats on it!

please post the numbers !!

I suppose I should reiterrate and say major accidents. From what I've seen most hwy closures that are due to collisions involve tractor trailers. For example the four highway closures on Hwy 11 earlier this week and the one I'm cleaning up right now.

If you include all, minor or major accidents, then yes, there would be a whole bunch more non trucks involved.

But do they have to follow the Quebec snow tire law?

According to this source ALL vehicles require it and trucks have speed limiters at 105

QUEBEC -- Quebec has become the first province to require car owners to install winter tires on their vehicles as part of a new road safety law aimed at reducing fatal accidents.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">It will become mandatory next fall for all vehicles to be equipped with a full set of winter tires from Nov. 15 to April 15. Currently, 90 per cent of Quebec drivers switch to winter tires. But Minister of Transportation Julie Boulet wanted to make snow tires compulsory, even though buying them will represent an additional cost for some owners.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">"There is no price when it comes to road safety," Ms. Boulet said yesterday. "What we want is to save lives and this is just one of the measures that will allow us to do this."<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Last year, 717 people died as a result of accidents on the province's roads.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">More National Stories<BR itxtvisited="1">Native leaders divided over future of residential schools panel <BR itxtvisited="1">Torture report urges Ottawa to better protect rights <BR itxtvisited="1">Clearing the air for the space shuttle <BR itxtvisited="1">Barrie teen went from sports to video games - then into 'thin air' <BR itxtvisited="1">Dion ignored warning about Tory blitz <BR itxtvisited="1">Looking to Europe for health-care answers <BR itxtvisited="1">Go to the National section <BR itxtvisited="1">The new law also prohibits drivers from using hand-held cellphones, a measure that will be gradually introduced beginning Jan. 1. This was a controversial proposal made by the task force on highway safety this fall, and the government decided to implement it immediately, convinced that cellphone use has become a serious obstacle to safe driving.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">The province will also begin testing photo radars and cameras at traffic lights in 15 communities across three regions of the province as part of a pilot project to evaluate their efficiency in reducing accidents. Furthermore, it will be compulsory for new drivers to take driver education courses, and heavy trucks will have to be equipped with governors to limit their speed to 105 kilometres an hour.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">In the fight to reduce drinking and driving, Premier Jean Charest's minority government failed to receive support from opposition parties to drop the blood-alcohol limit from 0.08 to 0.05. Ms. Boulet had proposed suspending the driver's licence for 24 hours of anyone caught driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.05 but less than 0.08. She said there would no fines or demerit points, arguing that it was simply an "administrative penalty" aimed at discouraging anyone who consumes alcohol from driving.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">However, the Action Démocratique du Québec asserted that the measure was targeting the wrong people. ADQ transportation critic Pierre Gingras said it was "inadequate" because it was penalizing those who drink moderately while doing little "to take the repeat offenders, real criminals, off the road." <BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">The Parti Québécois said some drivers could be wrongly penalized by their insurance companies and would have no legal recourse if they were falsely accused of breaking the law. PQ critic Serge Deslières argued that the government would be better off hiring more police officers, and strictly imposing the current 0.08 limit if it was serious about reducing fatalities.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">The Liberals accused the opposition parties of bowing to pressures from bar owners who feared a major drop in business if the stricter blood-alcohol limit was adopted.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Ms. Boulet said 6 per cent of all fatal drinking-and-driving accidents involved people who had a blood-alcohol level between 0.05 and 0.08. She said that would average out to about 12 deaths a year. "We believe this measure would have saved that many lives. Each life is worth saving and we strongly believed it," the minister said yesterday. But she was forced to drop the measure in order to ensure yesterday's adoption of the bill. Read more at http://forums.evolutionm.net/canadian-forum/376798-quebec-makes-winter-tires-law-what-does-means-you-ontario.html?ktrack=kcplink

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp3322-2007-1039.htm#t1

This should give you a taste.I thought Que would be worst,but Manitoba is giving us a run for our money !!!

We will have to try harderwhistling.gif

Thanks for posting that mercman!!!!!

in the last chart it shows the number of truck accidents vs car accidents.

if im reading that correctly

eg: in 2007 cars-22606 trucks-872

:dunno:

Edited by skeeter

I suppose I should reiterrate and say major accidents. From what I've seen most hwy closures that are due to collisions involve tractor trailers. For example the four highway closures on Hwy 11 earlier this week and the one I'm cleaning up right now.

If you include all, minor or major accidents, then yes, there would be a whole bunch more non trucks involved.

Good question, I'll get back to you on that.

They interviewed a few of the truckers involved in the stranding this week. all say they would not have had a problem with road conditions had it not been for motorists who had lost control.

Also police said that they had baracaded the highway, but people were removing the barricades and kept on going down the highway.wallbash.gif Thats totally nuts !!!

i cant find any info on Transport trucks needing snow tires.I would think, no, they are not obliged to have snow tires because of the long distances they drive.it would make it difficult to change them when travelling long distances out of the snow belt.They must however have chains on board in case of icey road conditions. Local delivery services like puro ups etc, must have dedicated winter tires on thier trucks in Quebec.

Obviously a truck accident is more likely to involve a road closure than a car accident.

No, trucks do not require snow tires in Quebec.

Back to the topic...

I would not recommend Motomaster SE. I had SE's and LE's on two different vehicles and I wouldn't waste my money on them again. For that matter, I wouldn't risk my money on any Motomaster tires. Poor wet/snow traction and suffered from shifted belts on both brands.

I've had good luck with Cooper A/S as a low value tire on the van. On my Suburban, I switched from Michelin's to Toyo Open Country's and while the traction is good, extremely poor fuel economy and wandering is a major turn off. I regret not staying with Michelins

I wish I could offer a brand/model specific to your application but it's been a while since we had a small-midsize car. I would look for something on tirerack.com with excellent wet weather reviews. Tread clearing be it water or snow is the key to good traction. You don't necessarily need an aggresive tread pattern to achieve this.

So how long will it be before Quebec mandates all passengers in cars wear motorcycle helmets..... :sarcasm:

On a side note a few years ago while traveling in our New England states I would pass road signs reminding us we must wear our seat belts while motorcycles passed by without helmets.... :whistling:

We are regulating ourselves into bankruptcy.... :wallbash:

Give me my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner and get the hell out of my way... :devil:

It's Bob, not Billy.... :)

Edited by Billy Bob

So how long will it be before Quebec mandates all passengers in cars wear motorcycle helmets..... sarcasm.gif

On a side note a few years ago while traveling in our New England states I would pass road signs reminding us we must wear our seat belts while motorcycles passed by without helmets.... whistling.gif

We are regulating ourselves into bankruptcy.... wallbash.gif

Give me my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner and get the hell out of my way... devil.gif

It's Bob, not Billy.... smile.gif

Bob !!! Mornin Buddy !!

you must lay awake all night long thinking of these words od wisdom.Be honest....You do, dont ya.santa.gif

I've been driving for 48 years now....yeah, I'm gettin old(er).... and IMHO 4 dedicated winter tires are far better than anything else you can put on your vehicle for the snow & ice.

The modern day winter tires with softer rubber compounds, 1000's of sipes and better lug designs just bite into the snow or grip the ice better and get you where your trying to go. Even the old snow tires were FAR superior than summer tires.

I've owned everything from Corvairs to Rivieras to 4X4 pick-ups and jeeps and I've used snow or winter tires on every vehicle I've ever had. Back in the day most vehicles were rear wheel drive and we only put snow tires on the rear with sandbags in the trunk. It helped with traction but steering was poor until someone came up with the idea of using 4 snow tires, even on 2 wheel drive vehicles and that made a HUGE difference.

Over the years I've either driven or been a passenger in far too many vehicles in the snow and ice without winter tires and there's absolutely no comparison.....no matter what some folks say.

I purchased a new 2010 F-150 Super Crew 4X4 this year that came with 18" Goodyear Wranglers that may be great in the snow....or not....but I still went out a couple weeks back and bought 4 dedicated winter tires & rims for the snowy season.

Lots of extra $$$$ and the grey steel rims aren't nearly as purty as my OE chrome wheels, but in my opinion it's $$$$ well spent.

Every day it seems I get held up behind some guy who can't get traction in the snow or ice with his All Season Radials, even though he probably thinks winter tires are for wimps....or is it wussies :dunno:

Edited by lew