All Season Tires

fish_fishburn

i;'ve ran goodyear duratracs before but i don't think they come in training wheel sizes. they're an AT tire with a snowflake rating - good all year.

now i am on firestone destination ATs. been to london area coiuple of times in the last few weeks and got to play in the snow, they were fine.

DanD what would a set of those run me? I need 215/60R/15.

I just called my wholesale supplier and they go for around the $140 - $150.00 mark depending on how the retailer sells them. (Installation and valve stems included or not)

He also told me that the stock on that particular size is dwindling; because they’re discontinuing that size. Some of the larger retailers may still have in house stock on them?

But the 205/65R15 is still a popular size and its over-all diameter is only .3” (point 3 of an inch) taller and .5” narrower; you’d never feel the difference.

It sells about $10.00 cheaper.

Dan.

i;'ve ran goodyear duratracs before but i don't think they come in training wheel sizes. they're an AT tire with a snowflake rating - good all year.

now i am on firestone destination ATs. been to london area coiuple of times in the last few weeks and got to play in the snow, they were fine.

I've been very happy with my 31x10.5 Duratracs. Mud or snow, they've never let me down. Can't say the same for my rear diff though!

Fish_Fishburn, I have 3 year old Michelin Primacy tires and paid almost $200 a piece installed and would not recommend them. They do not track well in rain and snow in particular even though I was told that they were good. I have always been happy with Michelin, but not this time. I drive a Mazda 6 dedan.

Fish_Fishburn was simply asking for opinions on which all season tire was the best and went into detail on why he does not want winter tires. I don't understand why so may people replied with their opinion on why he has to buy winter tires? There seems to be many people on this board these days that take over threads with their own opinions that completely side-track the posts. The guy asked a simple question and does not need a lecture as I've seen in many other posts. It really brings down the quality of the board in my opinion.

At one time we couldn't go across the boarder if we had studded snow tires.....now they are considering only winter tires during during winter...huh, I guess a LOT of Americans will not be able to spend money in Canada for ice fishing trips... whistling.gif

STUDS are legal here in quebec from Dec to April1. They give people a false sense of security, and when they fly off and hit your car, its like a bloody bullet hitting you.They are a pain in the asshat.gif

The alternative is sand.You ever seen what sand does to your windshield as your wipers drag it back and forth for a few months?wallbash.gif

The real problem with sand in areas that have sewers is that it clogs them all up....the government don't give a hoot about your windshield...they use sand in outlying areas..

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Don't use all season tires! I used to think they were ok, until a bunch of snow experts from the GTA set me straight! Today I'm getting a track system put on my nissan!

track11-1.jpg

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I love people talking out their :asshat: . :jerry:

As the temps drop farther below zero salt (and brine) losses its ability to work. Sand is the option at that point. Crews will use salt, sand or a combination of the two depending on the forecasts and road conditions. All impact the environment to varying degrees and ways. Some highway ditches have plants growing in them that are usually found in brackish coastal areas because of the salt content. Moose and deer also love the salt as well so keep your eyes open.

F_F I have general tires evetrek on my magnum RWD and they handle better than the cheap snows I used to have on other vehicles I got them from CT on a BOGO sale cost me $428 taxes/instalation included for 17" tires there's 2 kinds of evertrek one has a more agressive tread pattern thats the ones I got. like others have said doesn't matter how good your tires are if your driving like a idiot your gonna crash.

I love people talking out their asshat.gif . jerry.gif

As the temps drop farther below zero salt (and brine) losses its ability to work. Sand is the option at that point. Crews will use salt, sand or a combination of the two depending on the forecasts and road conditions. All impact the environment to varying degrees and ways. Some highway ditches have plants growing in them that are usually found in brackish coastal areas because of the salt content. Moose and deer also love the salt as well so keep your eyes open.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really care if the Doc sees things your way?His opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

Anyway, he is just pulling your crank KF, so take it as it is meant.

Other factors to consider:

2 wheel drive, front or rear

4 wheel drive

All wheel drive

Vehicle wieght? Heavey vehicles will often have better traction to move, but also more momentum when trying to stop.

I learned to drive before there was Sunday shopping. My dad made me practise in the snow in the mall parking lot. Studying theory is nice, but hands on experience is hard to top.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really care if the Doc sees things your way?His opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

Anyway, he is just pulling your crank KF, so take it as it is meant.

I wasn't referring to his post.

I run Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours, also an AT with the snow flake. :D

Dang fine tire. :good::good:

When I was in Ontario and driving to the city from Orangeville every day I had Cooper snow tires on all 4 corners on my Honda Civics and they were excellent. I just left them on all year long and replaced them every 2 years. They were $70 a piece installed so it was very cost effective, especially since I was driving 60,000+ KMS a year.

I run Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours, also an AT with the snow flake. :D

Dang fine tire. :good::good:

Seems a lot of people like the silent armours. They are well reviewed. For me they are just not aggressive enough for mud/off road like the duratracs are while retaining the snowflake rating.

Get winter tires .. on winter rims .. and keep them after you upgrade cars ... or sell them with the car ... I did it for the first time in 30 years and honestly wouldn't consider going back. (I opted for the Michelin X-ice ... they are like driving AWD (except they also help you stop (which too many AWD drivers forget about)!

I CONCUR

everyone i know who has tried dedicated snow tires never go back to a/s. The difference is amazingclapping.gif

Like i perdicted before, soon your Provincial Gov will pass laws obliging all winter drivers to have 4 snow tires. It will be impossible to enforce, but get into an accident with a/s on your car, and insurance companies will refuse to pay, and you will get fined on top of that.

The insurance companies lobbied the Gov't to band studs and chains.

It was costing a fortune.And of coarse they agreed because of the damage

to the asphalt.

The problem with studs are pot holes.When the tire flex's it like to throw studs.

The studs would chew out the pot hole worse,

And ,of course you can't get away from the billions of pot holes there are by the end

of the season from the plows ripping off the frost heaves.

If you don't run your A\S in salt and sand season you will get 120k Kms or more out of them.

Tire science today is a art form.If you believe there is no difference. I say LOL.

Guy's that rally race in the snow use A\S. :sarcasm:

Know a few people the run rain tire all year around. Most of the time your driving in slush,

In the city.

no arguements there Paul,thumbsup_anim.gif i drove with a/s radials for 30 years, only had 1 accident caused by someone else with a/s radials.

It took a law forcing me to buy winter radials for me to really see the difference.and I DO really see the diference in traction and ability to manouver safely.It really is like night and day.If you have never tried both, you can not know the dif i'm talking about.