cross border shopping is it really worth the deals

aniceguy

thinking of going to Erie PA for a few days and I got to thinking. 2 days of shopping with the dolar close to par, gas to get there and back, 200 for the hotel, food for 5 for 2 days and declared duties are you really saving money.

I can see if your maybe spending 5 grand on Christmas but if your only spending a few grand does it really make a difference

Erie is a bit better for shopping then anything close to the river ie. Niagara Falls and Buffalo. You get to shop at actual outlet malls and not 'tourist malls'. I have a couple of colleagues that go down that way and swear by it. Much better deals. Besides, it's a little getaway. Have fun!!

If you go to Grove City Pa its well worth it. There is a huge outlet mall there that has some amazing deals (1/4 the price). There is also a fishing store just down the street from the outlet mall that has great prices and selection. Google Grove City Outlet mall.

People used to go to Buffalo for specific stores that were not available in Canada (like Victoria Secret, Abercrombie ect..). Now-a-days, there are very few companies that haven't expanded into Canada, and very few hot items that are only available in the states.

Now that Yorkdale makes the Galleria look like a dollar store, the only reason to go is to save a couple bucks on purchases (after factoring in a favourable exchange rate). Like you said, after you consider gas and the other costs, you would have a hard time saving more by shopping over the border than by staying local (assuming we are talking about the GTA here.

Gas, beer and groceries are much cheaper. A $2 border crossing fee and we get about a $50 per week savings. Plus I get to go into Gander and Dick's as well. Round trip takes us about 2 hour and we are done.

All duties have pretty much been removed due to the trade agreements Canada has entered into.

The major Canadian retailers want you to think they dropping prices. Sears stating they were matching US Sears prices on black Friday, not so. We are looking at fridge from Sears and the US price was still $400 less. dunno.gif

Be the way who is still waiting for the Canadian retailers to drop the prices due to the HST? blahblah1.gif

On the good side I am seeing a price correction on Cabelas Canadian site vs the US, about a $5 diff on $30 item. good.gif It is a good start.

I think some things are cheaper, but overall I have a feeling the prices are quite similar. If I do shop in the US, it's mostly for items I can't get locally. If you really try you could probably save money on buying items on sale and paying attention to what is duty free based on NAFTA. Another example are things like designer clothes/accessories can be had very cheap if you know where to look.

I used to live in a border town and people used to cross-border shop all the time. However, they also used to sneak the stuff back across the border so they didn't pay tax or duty. They'd do things like wear crappy clothes there and buy a new outfit and wear it back. Especially shoes. Things like that. That was many years ago, I have no idea what it's been like the past 10 years or so, but my parents still live there and tell me shopping in the US is still going strong.

If you go to Grove City Pa its well worth it. There is a huge outlet mall there that has some amazing deals (1/4 the price). There is also a fishing store just down the street from the outlet mall that has great prices and selection. Google Grove City Outlet mall.

An awesome outlet mall! You will save a BUNDLE.

OTOH, a heckuva long drive...

Thats quite along way, its only an hour north of Pittsburgh :unsure: I mean it is a great mall, but helluva drive just to shop.

I mainly go for the selection. Try finding size 14 shoes in Canada for a good price. Some of the tackle there I would never find here. Plus I always look at it like a mini vacation, we take the kids find a hotel with a pool and everyone is happy! :clapping: :clapping:

Rob C

I say come down and get

4 cases of Bushes Baked Beans

3 cases of Ball Park Franks

2 case of Cookie Crisps cereal

and one case of Pilsbury grands biscuits

Sung to the tune of 12 days of Christmas.

Art

Canadian version of 12 days of Christmas

5 pounds of hash

4 pink pills

3 snorts of coke

2 hits of acid

and a dime bag of Panama Red

Merry Christmas!!!

Edited by Twocoda

Be wary when buying electronics on the other side of the border. Warranties tend to be region specific, for example say you buy a TV in the US, if it breaks down while you're in Canada and the warranty is only valid in the US. You can send it in to the American Sony but they won't ship outside the US.

Since I do a considerable amount of cooking for the fire department (150+ men) I spend a lot of time at Sam's Club in Cheektowaga, NY......there are a LOT of Canadian shopping there to a point that the management doesn't give good service there because they know they don't have to as the store in crowded with American and Canadian shoppers.

So stay on your side of the border.....you hear...LOL :sarcasm:

Bob

Since I do a considerable amount of cooking for the fire department (150+ men) I spend a lot of time at Sam's Club in Cheektowaga, NY......there are a LOT of Canadian shopping there to a point that the management doesn't give good service there because they know they don't have to as the store in crowded with American and Canadian shoppers.

So stay on your side of the border.....you hear...LOL :sarcasm:

Bob

The service at most Canadian Walmarts is haphazard at best....maybe they are trying to make the Canadians feel at home... :santa:

Gas, beer and groceries are much cheaper. A $2 border crossing fee and we get about a $50 per week savings. Plus I get to go into Gander and Dick's as well. Round trip takes us about 2 hour and we are done.

All duties have pretty much been removed due to the trade agreements Canada has entered into.

The major Canadian retailers want you to think they dropping prices. Sears stating they were matching US Sears prices on black Friday, not so. We are looking at fridge from Sears and the US price was still $400 less. dunno.gif

Be the way who is still waiting for the Canadian retailers to drop the prices due to the HST? blahblah1.gif

On the good side I am seeing a price correction on Cabelas Canadian site vs the US, about a $5 diff on $30 item. good.gif It is a good start.

Maybe you should go to the states and get your health care looked after as well.