Your ice shacks

Rod Caster

Every few years my father and I will make a new ice shack out of random available materials. Some have turned out strong, light and durable while others have been less than stellar. The last one we made was out of thin cedar 1X3's and with two people we could haul it out by foot, although we still used the sled to pull it. Lightweight has been our motto now that he's aging.

I'll post a picture once I find one.

I'm sure there are some interesting and inovative ones out there.

Here is my little 5 x 7 red shack I have used for the last 3 years. It is light and easy to pull around. Heated with propane and now has a 20 pound tank that hangs in a milk crate on the back. One of the side windows isd a slider for ventilation. It is perfect for 2 guys but with the dog and my 2 boys it is tight. I'm up-sizing this year and may have some new pics by Sunday afternoon (10 x 12 with bunks).

IMG_0410.jpg

CIMG1464.jpg

Edited by Nipfisher

Ok that's just not fair. I think that guy spent more than me renovating my condo! In fact, I'm gonna take some ideas from that shack and put them in the condo...

Nice shack NiFi. Quaint, light and efficient...easy to pull and warms quick. Lots of memories for the kids in that thing I bet.

Yes that frying pan is a beast. I dare anyone to try and steal my massive pile of perch on Nipissing.

I'm up-sizing this year and may have some new pics by Sunday afternoon (10 x 12 with bunks).

Well I've upgraded. Pics to follow. On Saturday I agreed to purchase an 8 x 12 ice shack with an awesome oil stove in it. I was told it was 10 x 12 but 8 x 12 is more then enough room. It is vinyl sided and has a steel roof. Big sturdy runners and lots of windows. It is wired for 12 volt and has lights inside and out. I will go to work adding some benches and folding bunks. PM me if your out on the South Shore of Lake Nipissing for a weekend and pop in for a visit.

if we post pics of our huts then maybe the members here will recognize them when there out on the lake , and drop in for a visit.

located straight out from alcona.

Copyofsmallhut.jpg

although it will look a little different this year as I'm going to be doing some work on it shortly...

2' taller, and lots of interior remodeling.

You all know what a Clam 2000 looks like? That's all I have... However, I may print out the OFC logo and put it (with GBW written under it) in a window for this season. If you see that, feel free to say hi. I may see some of you out on the ice on Scugog, 4 Mile and Simcoe this season then.

• 1 month later...

Made this one out of scrap and recycled lumber and building materials. Doesn't look like much, but it was cheap (less than $30 not including the stove) and it's warm. Parked it on the lake out front of my house for those days I don't feel like going far with my portable.

IMG_3927 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3923 (600x800).jpg

Here are the pics of my shack. I'm sorry I did not post them in this thread earlier.

CIMG2042.jpg

CIMG2045.jpg

CIMG2038.jpg

CIMG2039.jpg

CIMG2041.jpg

CIMG2040.jpg

It has been completely re-wired and now has two 6'4" beds in it. Currently at South Shore on Lake Nipissing but probably heading to Callander Bay. Yep that's a bathroom.