Snowblower Question

blaque

Going home to clear out another pile of snow soon. Figured id throw this out there for any of the small engine machine guys out there.

The drive on my snoblower has slowly weakened and im at the point now where just a little heavyness to the snow and it will not push thru it.

If i lift the wheels off the ground they are spinning but have no drive when resistance is put in front of them.

Is there a belt drive and the belt is slipping?

Its a Yardmachine snoblower if anyone has ever heard of that brand (should have bought an aries or a toro)

Is there a belt drive and the belt is slipping?

Yes.There is a cover on the bottom you can remove. You will see a belt,drive wheel and a tension pully. I would check there first. Maybe the belt has stretched.

Edited by BrianB

had the same issue with my yardworks machine...they ended up replacing the tranny...apparently there was a few bad years of production...mine went after two seasons...it actually locked right up when the time came for replacement ...i agree ...i too should have bought an aries

On the cable from the handle to the drive train I have some kind of a tension adjuster. (At least on mine there is) Mine is actually a Yardworks. (Canadian Tire) I just have to tighten that up as it seems to work it's way loose after a while. Back in business in a few seconds.

Edited by fishnsled

Sorry to break the news to ya's boys and girls but Yardworks are junk period. When it comes to snowblowers Areins is the way to go. My family has used them for 25 yrs and they are by far the best out there, for design and reliability. I'm still using a 93 8 hp and its still running strong. Your problem is an easy fix though Blaque. And there made in the good old U.S.A. Just saying.

Sorry to break the news to ya's boys and girls but Yardworks are junk period. When it comes to snowblowers Areins is the way to go. My family has used them for 25 yrs and they are by far the best out there, for design and reliability. I'm still using a 93 8 hp and its still running strong. Your problem is an easy fix though Blaque. And there made in the good old U.S.A. Just saying.

I agree on the Ariens. I sold and repaired them while attending university in the early 70's and bought one for myself as soon as I bought my own house. It served me well for over 25 hrs with only minor service needed. Of course, I probably took service for granted having done so much for other people. After more than 25 years of service it finally starting sending retirement signals. I ended up giving it to a repairman friend of mine to scavenge parts. He told me later virtually every little bit was worn out but I had no complaints.

I disagree mildly with you on the Yardman machines. I bought a large one first (big engine, big cut, etc) but decided that since I often wanted to help my family out I gave the big one to our son and bought a little bitty 5 hp unit that I could lift into the back of the Pilot (carefulliy) to take to Mom's or my brothers. It sure didn't have big blowing power but if I went slow it worked fine. I have since given it to my bro as we moved into a condo apt. The big machine has at least 8 yes on it now and the small one has about 4, perhaps 5, and both are working fine. The only breakdown was the electric starter on the big one and it was fairly cheap to fix. Neither my bro nor my son have a greasy finger between them and they've had no trouble so I would say they're safe for almost anyone to use. The trick is to remember the machine's limitations and to check the lubricants regularly which I do once a year for them.

Too many people insist on ramming their snowblower into heavy or frozen snow and expecting it to claw it's way through. Let the machine set the pace and it will probably stay safe. Watch the snow chute and as long as the snow isn't just dribbling out then you're not pushing too hard.

Hope that helps.

Too many people insist on ramming their snowblower into heavy or frozen snow and expecting it to claw it's way through. Let the machine set the pace and it will probably stay safe. Watch the snow chute and as long as the snow isn't just dribbling out then you're not pushing too hard.

Your not saying that machine rules man are ya John? LOL

What you said is truth.

I'm still using a 93 8 hp

Wow really,a 93 eh. WOW. :sarcasm:

Ariens are great, unless you have one of the better models with the cable control for the chute. It gets cold, they freeze and they completely stop working. I can't believe there isn't a recall on it.. Everyone I know with one of the higher end models has this problem.. Other then that, you can't beat them.

I'm glad I got the 820 model, no cables to freeze up, just a manual crank to turn the chute...

Sorry to break the news to ya's boys and girls but Yardworks are junk period. When it comes to snowblowers Areins is the way to go. My family has used them for 25 yrs and they are by far the best out there, for design and reliability. I'm still using a 93 8

A 93...that things still in diapers, mines a 1968 7hp, 2 mufflers, 3 belts, a drive ring and a tire tube. I remember the day dad and I picked it up from Aitkenheads Hardware in the Cedarbrae Plaza. And, I still have the original manual for both the tractor and blower.

Edited by Fisherman

I'd go with checking tension on the belts. You may as well get new drive belts for it and change the oil while you are at it. Pay attention to the controls, if they have much play in them, adjust them as well.

I've got a 5hp Toro 2stage 4 stroke 21 incher that I inherited from my dad 4 years ago, it is 20 years old and still starts on the first pull. The only problems with it were about 15 years ago the carb gummed up, the slides needed to be replaced and 2 years ago one of the shear pins broke, other than that, I change the oil every couple of years, pump up the tires and I'm good to go.

Sorry to break the news to ya's boys and girls but Yardworks are junk period.

I'd have to disagree with you as well. Had mine for 11 years now and never had a problem with my Yardworks machine. Still starts first pull and is a workhorse imo. I certainly have nothing against the Areins, good machine as others have said.

I surprised no one has mention Toro snow blowers.......I have had my Toro 724 since 1981....better know as "Big Red".....she handles everything mother nature has throw at us and more....I did have to replace a impeller shaft bearing about 4-5 years ago....but that only cost me $12.00 plus tax....so $25...LOL

I helped a buddy purchase a Yard Machine a few years ago from Sam's Club...I thought they looked cheap....don't know if has given him any problems.

BTW my maintenance on lawn mowers and snow blowers is...check the oil level, fill with gas and let her rip.....never changed oil on any of these machines...you would think they would self destruct but I guess I'm lucky...if it ain't broken I don't mess with them, unlike my truck or boat.

Let snow, let it snow...(I must be letting the weather get to me)

Bob

I surprised no one has mention Toro snow blowers.......

When I was in the city I never needed a snowblower but when I moved to the country last March, with 150' of driveway from the road to the garage, plus a circle drive across the front of the house, I started some research plus searched out alot of old posts here and decided on the Toro brand.

I only used it once last spring so I can't give an opinion on it but I'm hoping it performs as well and for as many years as so many others have said about them.

I'm very particular about all my gear and it'll receive all the maintanance that's recommended.

When I was in the city I never needed a snowblower but when I moved to the country last March, with 150' of driveway from the road to the garage, plus a circle drive across the front of the house, I started some research plus searched out alot of old posts here and decided on the Toro brand.

I only used it once last spring so I can't give an opinion on it but I'm hoping it performs as well and for as many years as so many others have said about them.

I'm very particular about all my gear and it'll receive all the maintanance that's recommended.

My neighbour inherited a Toro blower from his dad and in total I think it ran for close to 25 years before it went the way of my Ariens. Everything was worn out but it owed him nothing at that point. Would that all our machines gave that kind of service.

JF