First ride

HTHM

I was finally able to launch my boat today with a running motor. This is the restored 1985 370V that i have been working on this year. I launched in Hamilton harbour, and after warm up, I trolled out to the main water and punched it. 3 second hole shot. Top speed is unknown as my GPS is not working right now but I was impressed. Bayfront park to the Skyway bridge in 4 minutes of face freezing exhiliration.

Now on to the questions...I had the prop break loose on me twice, (blow out) and the hull swung out and got back in line right away, so I am wondering if I have the motor too high? It is on a 6" manual jackplate set at I think 3.5" below the pad. The motor is a 2004 150HP Optimax.

Any input is welcome.

So what was wrong with the motor before. Is this the same one you had issues with a few weeks back? Sounds like it's all fixed up eh!

It had a bent pin in the wiring harness that was preventing #4 from firing. As well, two cracked coil drivers and a cracked starter soleniod. It runs like a scalded cat now though....

Albert what you need to be very aware of is water pressure,RPM's are important for sure its a good and true measure the prop is the right one I think that engine needs somewhere in the 10 to 15 psi ( someone correct me if Im wrong) low water pressure will cause engine failure very quick

The prop breaking out and swinging meant your over trimmed and you lost bite of the propeller.

BBC will get you to where the prop should be off the pad and will also get you to the right water pressure, I learned with my other boat that no matter what PSI was the ticket and you can only trim so much

I dont know where you want to go with this rig ( but your restore looked sweet) I didnt see the full merit of a hydro jack plate but a friend amlost insisted I order it with my rig, best choice ever...dial on the fly is frikkin awsome

Edited by aniceguy

I was finally able to launch my boat today with a running motor. This is the restored 1985 370V that i have been working on this year. I launched in Hamilton harbour, and after warm up, I trolled out to the main water and punched it. 3 second hole shot. Top speed is unknown as my GPS is not working right now but I was impressed. Bayfront park to the Skyway bridge in 4 minutes of face freezing exhiliration.

Now on to the questions...I had the prop break loose on me twice, (blow out) and the hull swung out and got back in line right away, so I am wondering if I have the motor too high? It is on a 6" manual jackplate set at I think 3.5" below the pad. The motor is a 2004 150HP Optimax.

Any input is welcome.

Congrats on finally getting it out for a good run Albert! Geez I think you could outrun the hwpd with their new boat!w00t.gif Not!LOL!

But if you want to check your speed one day, I have a friend whos buddy owns a gps!

for such tasks!whistling.gif LOL!

Traet her well, you did a fine job Albert!

when I was buying a used prop the first 2 Paul let me try spun at a certain rpm .the rubber hub inside needed replacing... if I increased speed slowly at those rpms I could go full speed

if I hit it too hard she blew

Dont hit so hard then. :rofl2:

I see what yer saying. Pressure.

I am going to drop the motor, and see if that makes a difference, spun hubs and all that are way to early to diagnose, it has only been run 1/2 hour by a very inexperienced captain. BTW no rubber in the prop either. The fellow who rigged the motor was not the most impressive guy I met. He has a NGD attitude about the whole thing. (NGD = nobody gives a damn)

I am running the same boat as yours with the 89 Evinrude and a 14.25 x 23 3 blade SS. The Boat really likes to have the motor tucked in the down position for starting out. Once out of the hole at 3/4 throttle tap up a few times (1/2 second each) on the trim control and you will see your speed increase slightly without a raise in rpm. Give it a few more taps till the RPM raise between 25-50 rpms and you have reached the maximum up trim you want to run. If you are in rough water keep it trimmed down and give it 1 second of up it will keep you on the running pad solidly. My boat will run 54 mph at 5500 rpms and 2 people. The Ranger will run very nicely at 38 mph with a dry ride and no kidney punching. If you have some flat water go ahead and trim it up at 1/2 throttle till the rpm raises 25 to 50 rpms then bump it down 1 tap and give it full throttle...Watch the rpms for the motors recomended rpms and then you can tell if you are over/under propped.

art

I am going to drop the motor, and see if that makes a difference, spun hubs and all that are way to early to diagnose, it has only been run 1/2 hour by a very inexperienced captain. BTW no rubber in the prop either. The fellow who rigged the motor was not the most impressive guy I met. He has a NGD attitude about the whole thing. (NGD = nobody gives a damn)

After reading this,you need to take your boat to places that deal with bass boat performance. Paul at TOPGUN, is a great guy.If thats to far for ya,then Extream Marine just off the 407.

You have put alot of work into this boat.Why not get it right with the ones that know.