Making an ice transducer.

Nipfisher

Thanks for posting this.

as soon as i watched the video i went out and made one.

i used a 300ml orange juice bottle and it works great.

i tried it out in the bath tub, just had to adjust where i put the electrical tie to make it stand straight up.

it just elimated the wood T i made and now the whole thing fits back into the case that the finder came in. :thumbsup_anim:

less bulky now and lighter.

great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

that is a good idea I wonder would you need to seal the holes made in the cap? silicone over the holes might be a idea I think I will be using it this year.

Sealing the holes would be a good idea.Not sure how long it would take for the water to seep in.

Genius often seems so simple in the end.

Yep

Everyone has ideas to make it simple. Anybody listening.

Thanks for the vid.

there is a bit of a flaw with this jimmy rig. A normal ice ducer will sink past the hole which is where you want it to be to get a proper reading. With the set up as it is will float at the top of the hole which is not ideal. I suggest putting in some sand or gravel in the bottle to get it to sink and then use the pool noodle idea and a bobber stop to get it to stop at the bottom of the hole. That's my 2 cents + HST but it you pay cash you can avoid the taxes all together.

there is a bit of a flaw with this jimmy rig. A normal ice ducer will sink past the hole which is where you want it to be to get a proper reading. With the set up as it is will float at the top of the hole which is not ideal. I suggest putting in some sand or gravel in the bottle to get it to sink and then use the pool noodle idea and a bobber stop to get it to stop at the bottom of the hole. That's my 2 cents + HST but it you pay cash you can avoid the taxes all together.

Although I agree having the transducer below the ice is best it will still work closer to the top just not as good.

By adding sand to the plastic bottle(rigged as in the video) it would sink & flip the transducer so it would point toward the surface. Not good.

If your going to use the pool noodle anyway why even bother with the bottle & sand?

Edited by Woodsman

my only problem is water bottles get easily crunched, there not the most durable plastic and when I'm out on the ice I need some durability in my gear.I like the swimming noodles or pipe insulator methods best, there pretty much crunch proof.The plastic water bottle idea looks great in the house but I can see it coming out of my sleigh flat with holes in it, plus it would take up alot of room in an 8" or 6" hole.

Edited by canadadude

The ducer has to be under the ice or you will miss the fish that are coming in from the sides. I usually drill a second hole to put my ducer in when fishing out of a my hut. I like the foam method , that bottle will last a few times and then will break when you most need it.

Edited by wallyboss

the ducer does not have to be all the way under the ice to have full coverage

a 20deg transducer with 2 ft of ice in a 10 hole, the signal only covers 8" of the hole where the ice ends

so in most cases I have the ducer about 16" below the foam..... and it does the trick just fine