Karma... it is a three way street correct?

irishfield

Wow, I don't know you at all. However, I read the first page Nov 2010, then the last.....jan 2012, I could not have been more happy to see Jen bowling. My wife has been diagnosed with chrones, 6 years ago ...aweful disease. Not at all am I trying to campare, saying that I remember the gloom assioated with just that disease alone... Took the wind out of my sails. The fact that your daughter and family fought not only that, but the cancer and all other stuff assioted with that. Hats off to you and yours. You can call it Karma or what you wan't I was told by a friend once smile at the world and the world will smile back at you!!!!!! I have never heard of any one smiling at the world with cancer....until today thanks Jen, I will share your story with my 8 year old daughter tonight. You and yours will be in our prayers aswell. keep up the positive attitude. I had a crappy day at work today......It doesnt matter.

thanks

Thanks Guys!

Spouph... best wishes to your wife!

As for "smiling at the world".. lots of reasons for it, even though we did get ridiculed by a few families in the Sarcoma unit that felt "there was nothing to laugh about". Well we fooled them... :)

I totally changed my attitude on life when I was turning 30.. I told my Mother "I was gonna enjoy the next 30 years as I was half way there".. with my father dying from Cancer at the age of 59. She slapped me for that statement.... but I carried on with that tact. I guess it rubbed off on the kids, as they live for today and enjoy tomorrow if it comes.

Wayne

Jen's latest videos from the last week or so... gonna take a while (and money) to arrive at the final correct shoe height, since her leg moves in and out of the tissue socket it's not a finite measurement. Probably will change over time as well... as more scar tissue builds/muscles change etc. Watching her arms/abs video... I feel sorry for the first bugger that tries to mug her! :w00t:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-RrXR_wFDE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fmDBHq-hhU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tI8s0uR9bnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TzSKpN2bzNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes Joe she's eating well and gaining a pound or so at a time. Jen has a blog she has been writing since getting out of surgery, that will no doubt develop further with time. Leah is writting a book about dealing with a rare sarcoma, from a parents prospective...

(and as Roy points out I've written this novel with a bunch of co-authors! :D )

She is also talking about going back to work..... as her new office should be ready in Maple Leaf Gardens very soon and she doesn't want anyone stealing her new desk and chair! LOL

Edited by irishfield

It is really uplifting to see this type of thing. This story should be documented and made available to the people who are nervous, scared, and sick sitting in Sick Kids and other hospitals. I would be willing to wager that reading about the progress of your daughter would be a great benefit to some people who are sitting in these hospitals scared and in some dark places emotionally.

I’ve followed this thread from its inception. And it has been a continual “Wow, do you believe how well this girl is coping what has been thrown her way”. Just outstanding!! I just had to express my sincerest gratitude for sharing this with the board. I’m in awe of the whole family!

It is really uplifting to see this type of thing. This story should be documented and made available to the people who are nervous, scared, and sick sitting in Sick Kids and other hospitals. I would be willing to wager that reading about the progress of your daughter would be a great benefit to some people who are sitting in these hospitals scared and in some dark places emotionally.

Definitely Dave. Jen stays in touch with the social worker, on the Sarcoma unit floor in Sinai, for just such reasons. Leah and I... as parents.. had nobody in a similar situation that was willing to "welcome" us into this nightmare and share with us how to proceed. As time progressed we became the "go to" people on the sarcoma unit floor for the new parents coming in.

Edited by irishfield

Definitely Dave. Jen stays in touch with the social worker, on the Sarcoma unit floor in Sinai, for just such reasons. Leah and I... as parents.. had nobody in a similar situation that was willing to "welcome" us into this nightmare and share with us how to proceed. As time progressed we became the "go to" people on the sarcoma unit floor for the new parents coming in.

That is very good to hear.

When I think of young people with cancer I try to imagine but can not begin to fathom all the feelings that a journey like this would bring to a family. The elation of small victories to be crushed by small defeats, the joy of hope and darkness of helplessness. The fear. The small hurdles that were suppose to be easy ending in failure only to surpass milestones months earlier than expected. Crying until there are no more tears. Expecting yet another nurse to come through the door who is jaded and desensitized to the pain of it all, only to get a wonderful person who restores your sense of humanity.

I guess what I am trying to say is it is very hard for all of us to understand fully the fact that your family and many families in your position in these hospitals all over the place are getting a lifetime's worth of humanity in a span from a few months to a few years. That is quite a dose. Thanks for sharing a drop of it with us. Although many of us can not imagine what it was like, we can now think about it with a little more clarity.

My friend that I use to work with had a very young family member in the cancer ward at sick kid's. The next day at work after one of his visits he would tell us about how mentally excruciating it was to see all those little kids in there and the parents. The little fella didn't make it. Sometimes I think about when he told me. A kid I had never met. We were devastated and we didn't even know him. This is precisely why stories like your daughters need to be told. It is awesome that she is. I guess after all of this, you guys wouldn't have expected anything less of her.

6 month post op check up yesterday. A long miserable day with Xray machines down, surgeon 2 hours behind to see her and the oncologist even leaving before he saw Jen..leaving a flunky behind to update her progress.

None of that mattered by 7pm... with her Chest CT scan and pelvic Xrays showing "clear".. and kidney & liver functions still normal after all that high dose chemo.

The drive home after midnight was another story. :wallbash:

Little late for lunch, but let us know next time. Could used a black bean feed too.

I thought about lunch.. but it's a good thing we didn't plan anything. Figured with an 11:30 Xray and a 2:45 check up we'd have lots of time to do lunch, but as it was we got to the Village Idiot at 1:15 and made it back just in time for her appointment (but that could have been my fault waiting for the second Fullers London Pride! ).. only to sit around for an extra 2 hours. We ended up getting out of Sinai around 6pm.

...and Thanks Shelly!