Another Stellar Day of Bull

Jet

Despite John Milner of the famous Milner Centerpin Reels being located down the road in my new home in B.C. I was surprised to learn that no one really uses the Centerpin here in the Kootenay Region. My friend is one of the top fly fishing guides around these parts and he said he's never seen a Pin on the rivers.

Even before I moved here, I was researching on how to apply the Pin on Bull Trout. Since Steelhead no longer make their way this far east due to the many dams on the Columbia River, I knew I'd have to find a new species to feed my love of Centerpin fishing.

Today I got the chance to get out with some new friends in search of bigger Bullies. Their method of choice is a 1 oz bucktail bounced off bottom with a spinning setup. I took that knowledge, upped my float size and off I went.

Today's view up the river.

bully6.jpg

And down.

bully7.jpg

My first ever Bull Trout weighed in at around 4 lbs. That's on the larger end of the "small" scale here, so I was very determined to see how something bigger would fight. What I learned today is that 50 percent of the fight happens out in the current where short runs and constant bull dogging puts your arms to the test. Once it starts to tire and you reveal the impending shoreline to these fish, the other 50 percent of the fight takes place.

Thanks to my new friends showing me some choice spots, I ended up having an absolutely awesome day. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

bully13.jpg

bully11.jpg

bully5.jpg

bully1.jpg

bully2.jpg

bully12.jpg

bully9.jpg

bully3.jpg

bully8.jpg

And going home never looked so sweet.

bully10.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Those Dollies are huge...well done.

Not Dolly Varden, they are Bull Trout. They are in the char family, like Lake Trout, Brook Trout and Arctic Char. They're a species under threat in Bull and Alberta so having a day like you did is pretty good. (I was in Alberta last month and learned this from some people who live there).

That is some beautiful scenery out there. You're a lucky guy to be living there.

Long before Dollies and Bull Trout were considered the same species until it was proved otherwise back in the late seventies.

Having a whole stretch of river like this alone all day is certainly something I'm still getting used to, particularly after years of fishing the Ontario tribs for Steelhead.

I really appreciate the comments guys. Thanks for letting me share my in-between long work week adventures.

Edited by Jet

Awesome scenery, river and fish. :thumbsup_anim: Did some reading on Bull Trout, interesting read, as others have said they have a laker/splake appearance , to my eye they most closely resemble the laker backgross splake of Georgian Bay 20 or so years ago. They ran the rivers in the fall to spawn and if you could get into them before the Sept closer were pretty good on the grill. Never did figure why they closed the season in a fish that couldn't reproduce and was solely a put and take proposition. The Bull Trout on the other hand, given their status, I would assume are catch and release only?

Edited by dave524

Not Dolly Varden, they are Bull Trout. They are in the char family, like Lake Trout, Brook Trout and Arctic Char. They're a species under threat in Bull and Alberta so having a day like you did is pretty good. (I was in Alberta last month and learned this from some people who live there).

That is some beautiful scenery out there. You're a lucky guy to be living there.

From what I understand Bull and Dollies are the same thing

Awesome scenery, river and fish. :thumbsup_anim: Did some reading on Bull Trout, interesting read, as others have said they have a laker/splake appearance , to my eye they most closely resemble the laker backgross splake of Georgian Bay 20 or so years ago. They ran the rivers in the fall to spawn and if you could get into them before the Sept closer were pretty good on the grill. Never did figure why they closed the season in a fish that couldn't reproduce and was solely a put and take proposition. The Bull Trout on the other hand, given their status, I would assume are catch and release only?

Bull Trout fishery here is very healthy and not endangered like they are in Alberta. That said BC has extremely tight regulations and are also quite confusing! If one has trouble interpreting Ontario regs, BC's would be in another language. All rivers are barbless and the river I fished was in a bait ban with limit of 1 fish (none under 30 cm) until Nov. 1. After Nov. 1 it is catch and release only. Another example of the tight regs, you can only keep 10 hatchery steelhead all year on a basic license and wilds must be released. There are Classified Waters that require additional tags on your license and for some species like Steelhead you must get a separate stamp. Even locals get confused with the regs here!

Nice fish. Nice scenery. I am actually originally from BC.

ANy bear issues along that river?

I first came here 3 years ago. That trip inspired me to one day make this my new home. No bear issues for myself and other fisherman have said it's not an issue around here. That said when I really start getting out I will carry bear spray just to be safe.

Edited by Jet

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report! Very impressive trout fishery. That water looks like something out of a fishing mag. Your last picture is now wallpapered on my computer. Thanks for sharing.