Truck Talk

MCTFisher9120

Hey guys, a little more than a month ago I bought my first truck. I bought a Ford F150 XL. Has the 4.6L Triton V8 in it and it runs soo nicely. It will be a long while still before I put it on the road myself cause well a V8 Truck and full time schooling without a job doesn't work out too well :P

Anyway, I'm looking to hear some info on upgrades and new parts I should consider to extend the life of the engine and vehicle. I will have the entire vehicle looked over by a family member(mechanic) but I want t buy stuff for it and have it running at 100% on that special day when I drive it outside the parking lot.

Pic's of it after a mean clean this past weekend :)

ScreenHunter_05Oct251404.jpg

ScreenHunter_04Oct251403.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Oct251403.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Oct251403.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Oct251403.jpg

ScreenHunter_06Oct251404.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Oct270011.jpg

ScreenHunter_04Oct270014.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Oct270012.jpg

The truck has new rubber, brakes, full Sony stero and Pioneer speakers and has been well taken care of. I'm not a "engine" guy but I love browsing parts and accessories so how about a little engine talk. I got a good deal on the truck so I'm willing to buy parts 1 at a time and get them put on....

Perhaps a oil change, new plugs and wires, drain and refill with the best engine fluids,underside oil spray,cold air intake,new trailering wires,full new exaust system...just stuff like that.

All and any suggestions welcome!!

Let the truck talk begin!

MTBF B)

Perhaps a oil change, new plugs and wires, drain and refill with the best engine fluids,underside oil spray,cold air intake,new trailering wires,full new exaust system...just stuff like that.

fluid changes for sure, new plugs and wires, air filter, all the regular tune up items. I wouldn't bother with a cold air intake or exhaust. You just may want the money for unexpected repairs for now. Just make sure it's running great and keep it stock for a while. If it treats you well then start adding those.

congrats on your truck purchase! I would first start paying attention to the body, fix the bubbles, and get it oil sprayed. You said it had new brakes, i wouldn't let it sit for any period of time as they will rust...even a drive around the block once a week will help. As for the exhaust, intake, plugs and wires etc, use the old moto "if it aint broke don't fix it" fluids changing is always a good idea.. just my two cents!

Lost the front bumper...uncle hit a pole in the parking lot so that was taken off and we got a new bumper and grill already for it...thankfully no twists in the frame....he didn't hit it hard but enough to make the bags come out. We got new ones already they just got to be installed.

As for the body work, I forgot to mention that. Need to get those touch ups done...only a few spots, not bad for a 10yr old truck.

Nice truck dude, congrats. I would do the usual maintenance on a truck like that and forget about any of the accessory upgrades - cold air intake, exhaust ect.... Trucks are expensive to run and maintain, especially a 10 year old F-150 which may or may not have problems begin to show up on you...

How long do you intend to drive this?

Keep it running good, and it won't be too much of a money pit - hopefully.

Mike, are you ever near Gilson's Point on Scugog? There is a guy in that area that can oil the truck for around $100.00 or so. He does a real good job too. PM me if you want his info and I'll look for it when I get home.

*EDIT* link was messed up. Google 44.223245,-78.903637

Edited by GBW

Mike, are you ever near Gilson's Point on Scugog? There is a guy in that area that can oil the truck for around $100.00 or so. He does a real good job too. PM me if you want his info and I'll look for it when I get home.

*EDIT* link was messed up. Google 44.223245,-78.903637

Thanks for the info...will be easier to just get the truck done where it is at my uncles shop...He knows his stuff but hey doesn't hurt to hear of some other good mechanics.

Ford makes an awesome truck. I just bought a Ranger Sport XL and love it.6cyl, and big enough to pull any boat i will ever own.

Ya need to get some running boards, and a tonneau cover. I got the hard one that folds back in 4 sections. New chrome wheels would be a nice touch. While you're at it may as well instal a nice Bull Bar and front skid plate. and as the cherry, a nice diamond step rear bumper.

Hey !!! why not ? I mean ya have to look good in your ride don't ya ?thumbsup_anim.gifGonefishing.gif

Ford makes an awesome truck. I just bought a Ranger Sport XL and love it.6cyl, and big enough to pull any boat i will ever own.

Ya need to get some running boards, and a tonneau cover. I got the hard one that folds back in 4 sections. New chrome wheels would be a nice touch. While you're at it may as well instal a nice Bull Bar and front skid plate. and as the cherry, a nice diamond step rear bumper.

Hey !!! why not ? I mean ya have to look good in your ride don't ya ?thumbsup_anim.gifGonefishing.gif

I agree, I want to pick up a pair of the step rails and a nice bull bar up front would look great...i got ideas but performance is first!

Here’s my 2 cents on this.

Before doing anything else on the truck; get all the legal requirements looked into first. Safety inspection; even if it’s a “pre- safety” from an accredited safety inspection station; then you’ll know what’s required too meet minimum safety standards.

Emission test; before you’ll be able to plate the vehicle you’ll need a past emissions test that has not expired. For transfer sake the test has to be with-in 1 year old; plate/sticker renewals the tests are good for 2 years.

I have seen so many young people buy their first vehicle; spend a bunch of money on odds & ends; just to find out the thing needs hundreds of dollars of repairs to meet standards.

Get it tested and checked for safety; then there won’t be any surprises.

Dan.

Get some WeatherTech "Floor Liners" from here or Cabela's...Worth every penny if you hunt or fish and want to protect the carpet in your truck..

http://www.weathertech.com/

Running Boards.....http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/

I have this Tonneau Cover on my Tundra for the last 3.5 years and it just like new......and it only takes 30 seconds or LESS to roll up or roll down by MYSELF....

http://www.truckchamp.com/tonneau-covers/subcategory/roll-up-tonneau-cover/brand/truxedo/series/truxport

I realize you're in Canada so I don't know if you can order from these recommended places or not.....you'll have to do the research.

And don't waste your money on cold air intakes hoping to save on gas mileage...that is only a fairy tale.

Make that truck SAFE and reliable and you will be happy.

Bob

Id do all the maintainence (oil filter plugs ect ect), plate it, then worry bout the other things. A k&n air filter is a good investment a cold air intake is a better investment. Those triton motors can be hard on gas so the CAI will help with that a tad. other then that nice truck! The only thing she is missing is a HEMI! lol all kidding aside you will do alright.Congrats on the wheels!

I wouldn't sink a lot of money into a 10 year old truck - period. As others have said, do what's absolutely necessary to keep it running, and put that extra cash away for the inevitable surprise repairs and/or newer vehicle down the road.

Cheap, soft tonneau cover would be a worthwhile investment, just to keep your stuff dry. Otherwise, save your cash. Money spent on vehicles is basically money flushed down the toilet.

After the truck is "Safe & Sound"

Best performance "Bang for the Buck" is a

#1 Chip "Edge Tuner" 400.00 $ (more horses = fuel economy)

#2 Jet Throttle Body Spacer( better fuel economy)125.00 $

#3 K&N Cold Air Intake 250.00 $(more air more power better economy)

#4 Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust 550.00 $ (what comes in must come out)

#5 Royal Purple Synthetic Fluids all 'round 250.00 $(less friction & heat)

I have all of these on my 2000 Expedition 5.4 and wouldn't take any of them off.

They have long since paid for themselves in fuel economy.

Randy

:canadian: