Neighbor kid just shot a bb through my living room window!

splashhopper

When i was in 8th grade. One of our field trips was to the county lock-up. I was never much of a trouble maker, but after that day.......it was engrained in me to never become one.

Bottom line......i dont believe it's the posters job to pamper or cradle or walk on eggshells in regards to the kid who made the mistake. It is the posters job to do everything in his power to protect HIS kids sitting in their own living room. Hes responsible for teaching HIS kids, and from past threads i can remember.............he knows exactly what hes doing and doesnt need any help in that department.

I wouldnt lose a wink of sleep knowing that i did everything i could to remove any fear my kids had of sitting in their own living room to watch cartoons.

i was that kid at one point. in gr 7 or 8 i was hanging out with kids i shouldnt have and what not. one had a bb gun that he brought to school one day. after school we were shooting cans and whatnot and i ended up shooting a window in the school. the principal found out it was me, and called the police (i was also suspended from school for 5 days) the police ended up charging me with careless use and discharging a firearm within town limits. i ended up going through the court process, hiring a lawyer etc. in the end the fine/penalty wasnt that much, but the lesson learned was IMMENSE. it straightened me out a TON, well...that and the "talking to" i got from my old mans belt when i got home. had the police not been called i probably would've ended up hanging out with that same group of kids for a much longer time...who knows what troubles i would've gotten into later down the road. splashhopper, you definitely did the right thing.... it may steer him away from getting into further trouble...maybe.

ryan

edit... i'm not saying ive been an angel since, believe me. but it did change the path i was heading in.

Edited by Dunner

I look at it this way...

What if you had not called the cops and then a couple of days later you hear that the kid shot someone in the eye with that same pellet gun (maybe even your own kid)....you would feel terrible, wouldn't you.

This way, you know the gun is gone and you did all you could do to ensure the matter is dealt with.

Regardless of the other factors at play with your neighbour, police, kids attitude. I would not tolerate for 1 second someone pointing a gun, pellet, BB or whatever at me or those in my house. This is the apitomy of unacceptable to me, and is not the way to breed respect for firearms.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

A gun, even a bb gun has no place being taken out of the house around homes. Leaving this kids discipline in the hands of a father who allowed this to happen wouldn't work. Knowing the police were going to take the gun away is a good thing, and it's not like the kid has a record because of this.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

still beleive that there is good in every kid. They are still just kids mind you and to many people forget that. To many kids have to grow up to fast. Never being able to be a kid. I live in Toronto and... They need excerise, outdoors, indoors and a multitude of things. We are their teachers and if we teach them to do the wrong things they in turn do the same never really changing just evolving into better forgetters.

The kids need a good role model to look up to. The right person to give them the right advice and speak right into their heart. Setting them up with an uncle is a possibility if the uncle has those kinds of attributes. For me personally, it definately wasn't, because it alienated the relationship I had with my dad further- mind you, my conflict was a family one. Smalliefisher is dead on, though more often than not, the parent takes a secondary role or maybe is the last person a kid wants to role model from once they get to an age where friends and school what what-not dominate their lives. A thug-inspired 14 year old can really change a 12 year old's life in a major, major negative way. It is difficult to know where the kid is getting his stuff from, but somebody with a large age gap (like 10 years, or a parent), its increasingly important to know what the kid is up to day in and day out, who is influencing them, and then it might be a little possible to change their heart. It's even better if they can see God in their life... God is with each one of those struggling kids- as soon as they recognize that, its almost guaranteed to lead to a change for the better.

Alot of talk about bad parents.Yea there are some,but I can tell you my parents were not bad parents.I have 2 younger brothers and a sister.They were no where near as bad as me.I think it,s cause the whoop,ns I got,scared the crap out of them. Both parents worked,pop 2 jobs at times.Lots of time for this little brat to find some trouble.

So it,s not always about the parents.

Well Kwan, I can tell you in no un-certain terms, that when I was a kid and had screwed up bad, I was hoping that God would rescue me from my Dad and his slightly worn out fan belt he yielded with never before seen accuracy!

HH

AHHH YES...the good ole days.my ole man used an army web belt.Stung like a son of a gun! Problem in todays age, if you hit your kids, some one is bound to call youth protection, maybe even the kid himself.

I wonder how much we've given up, and how much society has changed since women have gained power (which they should) because of the "But hey, I do want to sleep in the same bed as my wife so I call the police." factor. When I see how feminized and soft our society has become I tend to think we willingly give in to much and too often because we like sex so much. Maybe more kids would be more disciplined if we weren't always trying to be nice in order to not raise the ire of our wives while disciplining their "babies"..There is no doubt it happens.

AHHH YES...the good ole days.my ole man used an army web belt.Stung like a son of a gun! nd dudeProblem in todays age, if you hit your kids, some one is bound to call youth protection, maybe even the kid himself.

And there's your reason kids today think they can get away with anything. The parents have been handcuffed and are unable to discipline their kids. Taking their XBOX away does squat!!! :angry:

I wonder how much we've given up, and how much society has changed since women have gained power (which they should) because of the "But hey, I do want to sleep in the same bed as my wife so I call the police." factor. When I see how feminized and soft our society has become I tend to think we willingly give in to much and too often because we like sex so much. Maybe more kids would be more disciplined if we weren't always trying to be nice in order to not raise the ire of our wives while disciplining their "babies"..There is no doubt it happens.

Wow....you cant be serious! :wallbash::asshat:

This just may be the tangent of the year 2010 LOL.

The problem is with both parents and the children. Somewhere along the line helicopter parents start to instill the "my kid can do no wrong" mentality and the kid believes that. So when I arrest a young person, and even if it is cut and dry and caught your child red handed the parents still say "my kid didn't do it". My parents god love them, didn't do the greatest job with me but by god if I screwed up and was arrested, I think I'd be sitting in the cell as punishment.

On the flip side, if a shop lifter gets caught, he goes to his first appearance and gets his free lawyer, you can guarantee he's not getting anything that would change his behavior other than community service or a donation to charity. So what is the deterrent?

But, when you look at it, parents today, with the lifestyle everyone leads parents are too busy to notice what their kids are doing until they get a phone call.

But, there are still great parents out there and when you look at the big picture, the troubled kids are few and far between.

I just hope my kids don't take the attitude that "my dad's a cop so can do what I want" or else they'll be taught a good lesson lol

I used to believe bad parents where 100% to blame for how a kid turns out.

Years ago I had this very chat with a fellow soccer dad who was also a High School principal. He told me stories of great kids who came from terrible homes and terrible kids who had the best parents you could imagine. His opinion was you are who you are. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that his take on "problem kids" is more accurate then mine. You are who you are and the only one who can figure that out is you.

Hopefully the kid next door shooting out windows figures it out.

I just hope my kids don't take the attitude that "my dad's a cop so can do what I want" or else they'll be taught a good lesson lol

My dad was a cop until I was 6. I was one of those kids' growing up that figured I could get away with anything because of it. BOOOY was I WRONG! What's worse was everyone on the street knew he was a cop. So when the fire dept. pull up and haul me out of the truck after nearly burning down a small forest, it didn't go over well... All the kids' in the area disappeared as they knew what was going to happen. As Russell Peters said “Somebody gonna get a-hurt real bad".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI&feature=related

Did I mention I too had a bbgun? Because my dad was a cop I was taught about the dangers and use of guns at a very young age. Alas, he did quit being a cop when he found me playing with the revolver...

Edited by GBW

I used to believe bad parents where 100% to blame for how a kid turns out.

Years ago I had this very chat with a fellow soccer dad who was also a High School principal. He told me stories of great kids who came from terrible homes and terrible kids who had the best parents you could imagine. His opinion was you are who you are. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that his take on "problem kids" is more accurate then mine. You are who you are and the only one who can figure that out is you.

Hopefully the kid next door shooting out windows figures it out.

I second that. Some kids just have to go through it all and learn from experiences and parents don't necessarily have anything to do with it.

I can't believe that some on here actually believe that hitting a child/youth with an object is acceptable. Who do you think that those kids are going to take it out on? Other kids maybe? Learning a behaviour like that just spells trouble to me.

Yes, children need discipline or incarceration, not violent acts against them. Adding role models into a child/youth's life is the way to go! That could be the police officer that deals with the youth properly or the uncle or even the person who started this thread (that would actually be more influential than a beating in my books).

Yes I live in a less violent area than many, but I grew up for 20 years in the Jane/Finch area and have seen it all.

I actually got closer to being shot up here than ever in the corridor. LOL

Thanks for listening, I just can't ever imagine beating a child/youth with anything.

Well Jimmer, I'd say that times have certainly changed, a lot, since I was a kid.

Back in my day (crap I sound old) if a teacher told my parents that I was bad, for what ever reason, my parents immediately BELIEVED THE TEACHER!!! I can tell you that today, should a student mess up and the parents get called, the parents immediately take the position that their child could not have done that or it's the school/teachers' fault. All sense of accountability for actions are gone... which brings me to your other point about beating a child... well I, as mentioned earlier in this thread, had parents who believed in corporal punishment. To my mind, it was a highly effective tool. I second guessed all my moves, based on the extent of the beating I would get, should I get caught. It taught me two main things:

-think twice before you do something wrong and to follow that gut reaction I would get just thinking about messing up!

-DON"T GET CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the lesson I learned best... my brother, well he never really got that message! LOL

HH

SOMEONE LIKES PLAYING WITH FIREwhistling.gif

Maybe in your world Blarg! Come back to reality any time you see fit Mr. __________ (insert sensored word here).

Unbelievable!!!

Well Jimmer, I'd say that times have certainly changed, a lot, since I was a kid.

Back in my day (crap I sound old) if a teacher told my parents that I was bad, for what ever reason, my parents immediately BELIEVED THE TEACHER!!! I can tell you that today, should a student mess up and the parents get called, the parents immediately take the position that their child could not have done that or it's the school/teachers' fault. All sense of accountability for actions are gone... which brings me to your other point about beating a child... well I, as mentioned earlier in this thread, had parents who believed in corporal punishment. To my mind, it was a highly effective tool. I second guessed all my moves, based on the extent of the beating I would get, should I get caught. It taught me two main things:

-think twice before you do something wrong and to follow that gut reaction I would get just thinking about messing up!

-DON"T GET CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the lesson I learned best... my brother, well he never really got that message! LOL

HH

I hear your point HH. I grew up with minimal corporal punishment and learned fast to listen to my parents. However, not all kids have the ability to reason in the way you and I did, therefore, hitting can bring out a worse behaviour in certain children. They learn to hit others to get their message across.

It is sad that the parents do not take a united front with teachers (I always did), but I also know that there are some teachers that should not be teaching any children. They are burned out and have no patience for the differences in children.

It is definitely a different society today.

Absolutely Jimmer! I agree 100%... I feel that the world has gone from being mostly black and white, to a world where grey is the expected norm.

There is no one answer to all problems, life would be way to simple if it were. One can find exceptions to every rule.

HH

DON"T GET CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the lesson I learned best... my brother, well he never really got that message! LOL

I could never master the first part,was more custom to the second. :wallbash:

It,s a whole new world from when we were kids.

Edited by BrianB

HH

Just like you HH, my parents always took the side of authorities, teachers, other parents when I pulled dumb stunts. It sure pissed me off then and I always thought they were against me. Reminiscing about those times, my parents now see it my way!!! GRRR hahaha. "WHAT!! you actually thought the teacher was WRONG?? " They provided me with unconditional love and a sense of civility that I am now grateful for. Parents should be parents not friends and enablers. Kids will grow and appreciate good parenting.

EDIT: Splashopper, I think what you did was ok. You're not the parent or the kid so your not to blame for anything. If the dad hates you after this, then nuts to him.

Edited by Rod Caster