MAJOR, MAJOR, PET PEEVE!!!

bigbuck

On Saturday, I was out on Pigeon Lake musky fishing in a little tourney we put on every year. While trolling down Big Island, a tinny trolling in front of us caught a nice 'ski. I saw them struggling with the fish and called out if they needed help as they were washing up on the rocky shoreline, and they replied that they needed help. We went over using the electric with my I/O trimmed right up and there was a 43"er with a Believer in it's mouth and the one guy's hand deep hooked twice. They did not have needle nose pliers, no cutters, not even a proper net. All they had were a pair of old rusty pliers. I reached over with my Knipex cutters and easily cut the hook off the lure to help out the guy with the hooks in his hand. One barb went right through so I cut that one off and pulled that hook out, the other one, I told him to go to the hospital. We then cut the hooks out of the musky and these guys decide they want to keep it. By this point, it had been out of the water for over 10 minutes so I doubt it would have survived, it was bleeding out of the gills and fins but I would have tried to revive it, at least give the old girl a chance.

MORAL OF THE STORY, don't go musky fishing if you don't have the proper tools, it's bad for the fish and downright dangerous for you.

you should have motored away when you saw they came un prepared !!! Let them figure out how to get the hooks out !!

I troll alot in the thames, and I just want to smack the people you see in a small tinny with like 6'6 ugly sticks and spinning reels !!!

I dunno....

Edited by Lunker777

you should have motored away when you saw they came un prepared !!! Let them figure out how to get the hooks out !!

I troll alot in the thames, and I just want to smack the people you see in a small tinny with like 6'6 ugly sticks and spinning reels !!!

I dunno....

when i troll the thames, i am hunting for bass with that equipment ;)

there was a 43"er with a Believer in it's mouth and the one guy's hand deep hooked twice. They did not have needle nose pliers, no cutters, not even a proper net. All they had were a pair of old rusty pliers. I reached over with my Knipex cutters and easily cut the hook off the lure to help out the guy with the hooks in his hand.

There was a post here a coupla weeks back where someone was asking if it was worth spending the extra $$$$ to buy Knipex cutters rather than cheapo side cutters for musky fishing.

This was the EXACT scenario I used to explain why Knipex cutters are worth their weight in gold. You get hung up on a large musky with a couple big trebles buried in your hand and if your Mickey Mouse cutters won't work, your in HUGE trouble, specially if your alone in the boat.

If your fishing for muskies, BUY THE PROPER CUTTERS.

Kudos to you Bruce for helping those boys out !!

On Saturday, I was out on Pigeon Lake musky fishing in a little tourney we put on every year. While trolling down Big Island, a tinny trolling in front of us caught a nice 'ski. I saw them struggling with the fish and called out if they needed help as they were washing up on the rocky shoreline, and they replied that they needed help. We went over using the electric with my I/O trimmed right up and there was a 43"er with a Believer in it's mouth and the one guy's hand deep hooked twice. They did not have needle nose pliers, no cutters, not even a proper net. All they had were a pair of old rusty pliers. I reached over with my Knipex cutters and easily cut the hook off the lure to help out the guy with the hooks in his hand. One barb went right through so I cut that one off and pulled that hook out, the other one, I told him to go to the hospital. We then cut the hooks out of the musky and these guys decide they want to keep it. By this point, it had been out of the water for over 10 minutes so I doubt it would have survived, it was bleeding out of the gills and fins but I would have tried to revive it, at least give the old girl a chance.

MORAL OF THE STORY, don't go musky fishing if you don't have the proper tools, it's bad for the fish and downright dangerous for you.

That's great that you helped them out. I'm wondering if your not a bit peved that you didn't catch a muskie and the tinny did...lol

Everyone's horror story for sure. A proper net or cradle would definitely help prevent a scenario like that.

They kept a sub legal fish????

I live on that lake and it drives me crazy the number of stories I hear about muskie being killed because of lack of knowledge or anglers just ignoring the regs, because it was their so called "biggest fish".

Good on you for helping that poor guy out with the hooks. Just can't imagine a 40+" fish attached to me by a Believer. I sure hope that guy is at Bass Pro buying all the required equipment!

I sure hope that guy is at Bass Pro buying all the required equipment!

You really think that will happen ???? He is probably at home nursing his injuries, telling all his buddies about the huge fish they caught and BLAH BLAH BLAH.... only to be waiting for the chance to do it all over again !

I would be surprised if he even thought twice about spending money of proper gear.... its not cheap! $150 for a net most likely isn't on his "things to do list"

You really think that will happen ???? He is probably at home nursing his injuries, telling all his buddies about the huge fish they caught and BLAH BLAH BLAH.... only to be waiting for the chance to do it all over again !

I would be surprised if he even thought twice about spending money of proper gear.... its not cheap! $150 for a net most likely isn't on his "things to do list"

So hoping is hopeless?

Guest Johnny Bass

Are you for real? Honestly? I would have risked smashing my propeller and everything else to help the guy if I could, as I would want someone to help me out in that same situation. Having 2 big treble hooks stuck in you is no picnic!

This guy could have lost his hand/bled to death and you guys are worried about the fish??Unbeleivable!

Here on OFC we try to educate people as much as we can but not everyone is a pro and as knowledgable about musky fishing as they should be. These accidents happen and they shouldn't be punished for not knowing.

Good on you for helping out. Hope the guy is ok.

P.S. I dont know why most hardcore Musky tackle shops dont carry knipex bolt cutters and mention to the customers that are buying big baits that they should own one.

Edited by Johnny Bass