Georgian Bay 50" Musky Slobs with Pics

moemoe

Congradulations on 2 top end muskies, and thanx for the quick and safe release, contrary to some of the OFC bashers I prefer to look at the positives, there are some excellent muskie fisherman who will not post pics because of the backlash and negativity that will most certainly occur, when a new member joins and is welcomed it always comes up remember to post pics we love pics, and when they do they get bashed, I have noticed that the ones who are the critics and do most of the disturbin never post pics themselveswhistling.gif

Guest Johnny Bass

First I'd like to say WOW! Those are the type of muskys every musky fisherman on this site aspires too. AND you caught 2 in a week AND on a spinner bait of which most musky fanatics will tell you that they dont catch big musky!

I'm pretty sure that musky was way too large for your livewell, but as you said? The dock was 30 SECONDS away. There are not too many fishermen on this board that wouldn't have done the same. Myself included.

Sometimes I have the musky out of the water for 5 minutes trying to get the hook out and then photograph it. They take awhile to revive but I have yet to lose a fish.(I think I just jinxed myself). Still a fish that big is very fragile and every minute counts. It would be a big waste to lose a big girl like that. So a 5 minute boat ride(Plus photos) would have been too much.

But yes. If the CO would have caught you? They could have slapped you with a sever fine if they chose to do so.

Since for all he knew? You could have been keeping an illegal fish to mount or eat.

Anyways thanks for posting those beautiful fish. I'm sure you made alot more friends then enemies on this board since most people would love to fish with you now.lol

Lesson of the day? Dont go Musky fishing in trophy waters without a camera.

Five minutes is a death sentence. She might swim away after a while but she'll be found belly up on someone's beach a few hours later. I don't want to sound like a nag here but once you bring the fish to the boat, leave it in the pen net. Remove the hooks while the fish is in the net and in the water. If you need a pic of the fish, make sure the camera(s) is ready and then commit to taking it out for the pic. Don't pussyfoot around, grab the fish properly. As you pull the fish out of the water, hold your breath....when you can no longer hold your breath, that fish needs to go back in. Once in the water, hold it by the tail with your other hand under the belly to keep it upright. Don't move it back and forth, just hold it there. You'll feel the strength return to the fish and they should swim off strongly.

Just sayin'.

As you pull the fish out of the water, hold your breath....when you can no longer hold your breath, that fish needs to go back in.

I can understand not wanting to keep the fish out of water to for too long; but is there any scientific basis for keeping it out of the water for the amount of time that you can hold your breath? A sperm whale can hold its breath for two hours, a salt water crocodile can hold its breath for three hours. Is there any reason to beleive that a muskie's who has just fought a hard battle can survice out of water for the same length of time as the person who caught it can hold their breath?

I am sure that the less time they spend out of water the better. Holding your breath while you hold them out of the water may encourage you to put them back sooner; if so that is beneficial. However, as for there being any actual correlation between a muskie's ability to survice out of water and a persons ability to hold their breath; I find this very doubtful. Who knows, that may be too long for a muskie to be out of water after a long battle.

I can understand not wanting to keep the fish out of water to for too long; but is there any scientific basis for keeping it out of the water for the amount of time that you can hold your breath? A sperm whale can hold its breath for two hours, a salt water crocodile can hold its breath for three hours. Is there any reason to beleive that a muskie's who has just fought a hard battle can survice out of water for the same length of time as the person who caught it can hold their breath?

I am sure that the less time they spend out of water the better. Holding your breath while you hold them out of the water may encourage you to put them back sooner; if so that is beneficial. However, as for there being any actual correlation between a muskie's ability to survice out of water and a persons ability to hold their breath; I find this very doubtful. Who knows, that may be too long for a muskie to be out of water after a long battle.

i think its a concept....while you hold it out of water, its essentially unable to breathe. And as you pointed out, that's after a big battle.

The point is...when you run out of breath after 45 seconds, and you put hte fish back, it's better than holding it out for 3-5 (or 10) minutes.

Guest gbfisher

Scientific fact? <_<

It is a known fact that 'large' fish do not do well being out of the water for longer than a brief moment which comes from experience, reading and learning the hard way.

It was meant as a helpful idea and a good one for people who do not target these fish.

After you catch a 50...see how long you can hold your breath and the fish out of the water at the same time.

I bet it won't be longer than 15 or 20 seconds before yer hanging over the side of the boat gasping... :D and reviving the fish of course.

It only takes 5 seconds to take a picture. :good:

Edited by gbfisher

Scientific fact? <_<

It is a known fact that 'large' fish do not do well being out of the water for longer than a brief moment which comes from experience, reading and learning the hard way.

It was meant as a helpful idea and a good one for people who do not target these fish.

After you catch a 50...see how long you can hold your breath and the fish out of the water at the same time.

I bet it won't be longer than 15 or 20 seconds before yer hanging over the side of the boat gasping... :D and reviving the fish of course.

It only takes 5 seconds to take a picture. :good:

No offence dude, but since we are all being so helpful and giving out great suggestions, here's one for you: you may want to change your profile pic before giving out advice on proper fish handling. Just sayin.

Guest gbfisher

No offence dude, but since we are all being so helpful and giving out great suggestions, here's one for you: you may want to change your profile pic before giving out advice on proper fish handling. Just sayin.

hahahaha.. :rofl2: ..."THEY" ate that one. :clapping: I even got some for dinner that night. It fed a lot of really nice people too who dont' get to eat Wahoo all the time.

Same went for the King fish.

Edited by gbfisher

Oh well my apologies then, I thought it was a GB musky. Never heard of a Wahoo before.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Wahoo (disambiguation).

Wahoo

drawing of wahoo

Conservation status

NE[1]

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Actinopterygii

Order: Perciformes

Family: Scombridae

Genus: Acanthocybium

Gill, 1862

Species: A. solandri

Binomial name

Acanthocybium solandri

(Cuvier, 1832)[2]

Wahoo caught by local fisherman in Bonaire, Netherlands AntillesThe wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri) is a scombrid fish found worldwide in tropical and subtropical seas. It is best known to sports fishermen, as its speed and high-quality flesh make it a prize game fish. In Hawaii, the wahoo is known as ono. Many Hispanic areas of the Caribbean and Central America refer to this fish as Peto.

Guest gbfisher

Oh well my apologies then, I thought it was a GB musky. Never heard of a Wahoo before.

Thats ok, No worries. :) It's a small picture and without my glasses I can't see it that well either.

I can say though from not being much of a fish eating person....that it was fanatstic!

Edited by gbfisher

Hey guys you ever watch the MNR tag a fish,they first electroshock it , then measure it, then weigh it, then take a scale sample, then tag it after all this the fish is revived then released.Trust me if you could hold your breath through all that you'd be passed out.Also reviving fish in a live well before release is a great way to get the fish going again,it's actually being practiced on Lake St Clair Muskie with great success, as for the MNR giving you a hard time a CO would be sympathatic to you if you released the fish and I doubt any charges would laid.