Steelhead - March 12 Report

ccmtcanada

Well, I decided to take the day off work today to do some fishing! I spent about a half hour last night tying roe bags in anticipation!! With the temps above freezing, I couldn't resist the urge with the thought of fishing without a million layers of clothes and frozen fingertips.

So...I brushed up on everything CANADIAN COPPER has taught me in the two times we've fished together. I headed out to my spot before sunrise...and had my line in the water by 7:15am...about a half hour before the sun rose. Water had a greenish tinge and there was about 6 to 8" of visibility. It was a balmy +1C with a light west wind....this was heaven compared to the last few times out! (-18 and -25 with the windchill!!).

I started out using the roe bags at a bunch of different depths...and didn't even get a sniff for about 2 hours! I then said to myself "What would CC do???". He said that if roe isn't working, then change up your presentation...so that's what I did. I put a little pink worm on and within about 10 minutes my float went under!!! Adrenaline flowed through my body and I set the hook!! The float and hook sailed out of the water and landed behind me....LOL. About a half hour later, my float went down again!! Missed it...dang!!!

I told myself I was leaving at 11am if I caught one or not. At 10:45, my float went under. I set the hook and there was tension!! WOO HOO!!! I started fighting the fish and it jumped about a foot and a half out of the water....then....no tension. DANG AGAIN!! I began to reel in as fast as I could in case it was running towards me. Sure enough, it came out of the water again! This time I had a handle on it. I called over a guy beside me to see if he'd net it and he obliged. I'm glad he was there...I probably would have lost it.

Well...here's the pic...a new PB...25.5" long and 5lbs 12oz. Still on the small side, but it's only my third steelhead. Chalk up an entry for team 6 in the OFC tourney! I have another pic with a tape measure, but didn't post it here...sent that one to my team captain.

gallery_60_23_55810.jpg

I really enjoyed your report, and you writing style is something to admire. Congratulations on your PB catch! What a fresh fish! I'm still sittig on ice now, but looking forward to hit the tribs soon. PB&J ... not the (J)elly, but (J)olly good time.

Keep up the great work!

Where do I sign up for Spring Steelhead 101? CANADIAN COPPER OR the new predecessor?

I'm serious! I have two weeks of March break, I'm in Grd 12.

Available almost every day now and to March 25.

There is an easy answer to that....anyone who catches them but me!!! LOL. Trust me...I'm still a newbie...I know a lot of the theory, but I dont have the experience that many others on this board have. Thanks for the comment...but I'm no teacher!!!

At about 7:30, the skunk that been on my back since early December finally came off!! After a nice fight, I landed this hen….my first ever steelie came in at 22.5”. (It’s a whole ½” bigger than ccmt’s, so I’m rubbing that in…lol). This one is a keeper so we can have some fresh roe and a nice little snack for later!

:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

I bet your making Bly eat those words now LOL. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your PB Cliff.Beauty of a fish. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

At about 7:30, the skunk that been on my back since early December finally came off!! After a nice fight, I landed this hen….my first ever steelie came in at 22.5". (It's a whole ½" bigger than ccmt's, so I'm rubbing that in…lol). This one is a keeper so we can have some fresh roe and a nice little snack for later!

LOL...not is SOOO many words, but I think I mentioned it about 15 or 20 times...haha. Thanks Mike...it was fun bringing this one in that's for sure.

ATTA BOY CLIFFY!!!

RIVERS WILL BE DOWN SOON AND ITS A WHOLE NEW GAME LOL

CONGRATS ON THE FISH!!!

DROP ME A LINE YOUNG ONE AND IM SURE NEXT WEEK I CAN PENCIL YA IN LOL

Yeh...I'm looking forward to some trib fishing this spring...should be a blast! Thanks again for all your help.....always have a great time fishing with you Scott!

At about 7:30, the skunk that been on my back since early December finally came off!! After a nice fight, I landed this hen….my first ever steelie came in at 22.5”. (It’s a whole ½” bigger than ccmt’s, so I’m rubbing that in…lol). This one is a keeper so we can have some fresh roe and a nice little snack for later!

Time will tell, time will tell :P

Sweet!

Whens Bly gonna top that?

Great read.

Thanks for the confidence Snag! :D

bly