Fresh water/salt water fish

misfish

Always loved a great feed of fresh water perch,crappies and whities,but my tastes have gone back to the sea.

Last night the mrs and I had a great feed of fresh west coast halibut and other sea crestations at the fish house,also tried something new,Newzeland blue cod.Im a big fan of the east coast cod,but this Newzeland blue cod was very tastey.

Question is,do you prefer sea of fresh water fish?

Vagina jokes aside, probably the best fish I have ever eaten was fresh fried red snapper caught that morning straight out of the Caribbean Sea in Cozumel Mexico. I still dream about it. and the restaurant on the beach and the great rum punch helped a lot with the experience smile.gif

and I have eaten a hell of a lot of fish in my time. good ocean fish like snapper, good grouper or mahi mahi beats any freshwater fish IMO.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Sorry Bruce,you of all,should know better.Fresh seafish IMO,cant be beat. :canadian:

I appreciate each for their distinct differences, whether it be East coast halibut and cod, BBQ char from Frob, gravlax from Sweden, or fresh perch from the ice on Simcoe. I don't play favourites. They all have their place on the plate. :thumbsup_anim:

Seriously, saltwater fish generally beats freshwater fish hands down in terms of edibility. My favs are cod, haddock, and ocean perch (always fried). Saltwater fish has the advantage of not having that weedy/muddy taste of a lot of freshwater fish. 

The only freshwater fish that I have tasted that comes close to the saltwater fish in terms of a lack of a fishy taste is perch.

I tend to like the "meaty" fish, and you don't find too many of those in fresh water.

Swordfish, dolphin, shark...... IMO nothing much beats a rare (almost blue) sashimi grade tuna steak... YUM!!!!

Burt :)

IMO nothing much beats a rare (almost blue) sashimi grade tuna steak... YUM!!!!

You know it!

Most of the fish I do enjoy eating come from the sea. I don’t usually keep any of the fish I catch though. I’ve never tried crappie, walleye, bluegill or pike so I'm probably missing out. I really like eating the oily types of fish like mackerel, herring, tuna and salmon the most. I guess I have an acquired taste for it. I do like halibut in fish & chips as well as small baked trout and BBQ eel (from the sushi restaurant). This season I kept 2 small brown trout that swallowed the hook too deep and they were pretty tasty.

One of the best things about living on the coastal area is the variety of fish we have in both saltwater and fresh.I was bass fishing Saturday and the saltwater has come up so far in the Potomac their were people catching crabs right next to me.

Art

I find cod or haddock much more flavorful steamed with a ginger/garlic (fresh) sauce than freshwater fish...red snapper or orange roughy come a close second...

My oldest son is highly allergic to freshwater fish of any kind and though I can eat some I prefer saltwater for eating...catching...that's a different kettle of fish...(my bad pun)

Fresh water perch, walleye (pickerel, eh), crappie are my favorites but tuna is hard to beat, even with a Ugly Stick... :)

But what about pacific salmon......it's caught both in fresh and salt waters.....huh, either way it's hard to beat smoked.

Bob

BTW...does ANYONE eat stinky smallmouth bass ?

I am not even going to bother reading the other posts - I feel more strongly about this than any other "issue" out there! There is NO friggin comparison. I grew up in an italian home eating fish regularly, and there is no way anyone in their right mind who knows anything about food can claim that freshwater fish tastes better or even close.

Try grilling swordfish and see what ya think!

Case closed!!!

:)