What to use fishing for Channel Cats?

Ron

Hey all,

I got invited on a trip to go fishing for BIG cats. The stories I heard from last year is that there was not enough beer to go around er I mean, there was a limited amount of bait to be found to target this species.

So what I am asking, what do you use to tangle with BIG BIG Cats? PM me if you got secrete baits or concoctions.

Cheers, Ron...

Hey all,

I got invited on a trip to go fishing for BIG cats. The stories I heard from last year is that there was not enough beer to go around er I mean, there was a limited amount of bait to be found to target this species.

So what I am asking, what do you use to tangle with BIG BIG Cats? PM me if you got secrete baits or concoctions.

Cheers, Ron...

What I love to use is a Lazer point pen....that gets those cats a moving!!!!!

Guest Johnny Bass

Hey all,

Cheers, Ron...

Chicken livers, big balls of worms, dead fish(especially big chunks of sucker fish to keep the other fish away), Shrimp, ect.....

I know some people that catch rockbass, sunfish or blue gill, and cut the tail so it cant swim and throw it out there for channel cats.

I prefer sucker meat....

my dads favourite bait is chicken liver, mixed with garlic chunks, wonderfully baked by the sun all day before you go out that evening. i can argue with the smell, but i cant argue with some of the monster cats he's pulled out.

Guest Johnny Bass

my dads favourite bait is chicken liver, mixed with garlic chunks, wonderfully baked by the sun all day before you go out that evening. i can argue with the smell, but i cant argue with some of the monster cats he's pulled out.

I used to think the same thing. We used to let the fish rot in the sun, but this year I seen the cats biting on fresh cut meat. Maybe there are so many in the grand in the spring, it doesn't mater. But if there were only a few roaming around. I think the smelly ones may be more effective in attracting them to the bait. Just dont get any on you or you'll be sleeping on the couch. That is, if she lets you in the door.lol

Edited by Johnny Bass

I didn't think you could use rockbass bluegill or sunfish as live bait...learn something new everyday

I tried chicken livers this spring and found they just flew off the hook on the cast. After the fact I read that people will wrap them up in a mesh like you would salmon eggs. Maybe that works better...

I didn't think you could use rockbass bluegill or sunfish as live bait...learn something new everyday

be careful what you "learn"....regardless of common practice or not, I'd double check the regs on that one

with chicken livers I always thought the concept of drying it out was to help it stay on the hook better, not just for the stink factor

stink bait is generally a good choice for all catfish but I've been told channel cats tend to be more selective that the flatheads down south and fresh bait is sometimes just as good a choice.

Guest Johnny Bass

be careful what you "learn"....regardless of common practice or not, I'd double check the regs on that one

with chicken livers I always thought the concept of drying it out was to help it stay on the hook better, not just for the stink factor

stink bait is generally a good choice for all catfish but I've been told channel cats tend to be more selective that the flatheads down south and fresh bait is sometimes just as good a choice.

I only fish artificial lures so dont know the regs in regard to baitfish. Are you allowed to use panfish as bait? I know that perch at one time were not allowed to be used. And they were considering changing that, but dont know if they did. Never heard anything about panfish. Especially if your using it in the waters you caught it in.

Hey all,

Cheers, Ron...

I've been fishing for Catfish for a long time now and out of all the internet stinkbait recipies that I have tried I have weeded all possible baits to my top five in order.

1. Minnows (dead or alive)

2. Worms

3. Cutbait Suckers

4. Catfish Charlies Stink Bait http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52269_100008005_100000000_100008000_100-8-5

5. Chicken Livers (dried out in the sun for a day, before the maggots get to it)

Goodluck and happy fishing!

Cats aren`t as slow to take live bait as some people may think, ex got one around 15 pounds one year and the next year one pushing 25 on big chubs on a slip float rig in the Shawanaga river. Seen people down here using chicken livers, beef liver, cut shad, blue gills(legal here) shrimp, a mesh bag with dog food( out of a can), gob of worms (hard to keep panfish away). Mostly cheap bait, some will chum an area for a couple days before they intend to fish.

All the channel cats I’ve caught were by accident while carp fishing. I know the ones in the Niagara like over-flavoured pineapple chick peas that I make up. Unfortunately the carp down there didn’t like them as much

A more species specific way I’m told, is to use those frozen shrimp you eat for dinner (thaw them first), smear Preparation-H on them (The hemorrhoid medication) and hook them – Preparation H is optional but highly recommended by my friend (for the shrimp that is). Cast out and wait.

I actually have done better with fresher type baits. One thing to do with nightcrawlers is to take a needle and thread and run it through 4 or so crawlers and then wrap them on a hook so there is few loose ends, helps greatly with small stuff stealing the bait over time. Raw shrimps from the seafood counter are great as are traditional fish cut bait. Best however for me has been frogs, think you have to watch the species you use now, use them alive or dead and if they are too big, cut in half for 2 baits.

Ron some of the baits I use fishing for larger Channels cats are usually fresh dead fish. Chicken livers are good for the eatter sizes but the real cats eat fish. We have a fish down here that is the base forage Mudshad that when cut into strips work great. You first cut the fish from head to tail in 1 inch x 3 inch strips cutting them only when you need to to keep them from fresh. Keep them on ice but not in liquid to preserve the oils and blood. Use the whole head cutting it just behind the gills and send that out their it is the best part of the bait for the bigger fish.If shad are not available use any oily forage fish you can find even carp strips will work if that all you have. The use of live bait is more inline for flathead catfish but I have caught a few channels with live bleeding baitfish.I use a 3/0 to 5/0 circle hook tied with 30 lb mono then a 24 inch leader tied to a swivel. Above the swivel is a bead and then a 3 to 8 oz slide sinker depending on the current. Keep the bait fresh changing every 20 to 40 minutes and scatter the old bait around the fishing place.

Good luck and be prepared to become a catfishaholic.

Art

I have spent a great deal of time on the water fishing with some really great fishermen...

Cats season is my favorite and I will have to say, after trying a lot of different baits,

cut sucker meat is the best...

I have had guys come into the shop who swear by other methods changing their minds after watching guys pull in one cat after another on that stuff.

Its clean, its easy and you don't have to let it rot!

Cheers,

Jen

In the Ohio River one of our favorites were Chicken Livers, but take a pair of your wife's (or your) old pantyhose, make a little pouch to put the livers in so it doesnt fly off your hook.

We used to catch MONSTERS on them.

Also - giant Gold fish are a great choice as well. What i've been told, never tried them though.

Edited by Wask

The best bait for me this year on the Red has been whole shrimp, leaving the head and tentacles on seem to help. Fresh or frozen, I just stock up whenever theres a sale on. Lots of guys use chunks of goldeye, but I prefer the shrimp.

Those big cats can pull! Good luck.

Cat.JPG

Thanks for the replies everyone.

One thing for certain, I am respooling my reels with 65 lb Power Pro. I figure if I use a 17lb leader with a 1 - 3 oz flat slip sinker, beads and swivel, I should be good to go. We have stocked up on fresh herring, smelt, and hope to fish for some bait as well.

Although the idea of using chicken liver is a good one, as weird as it sounds, I prefer it in the frying pan with a little butter and flour.

I will definitely bring along a laser light as well :rofl2:. (We got a cat too that loves the thing). Perhaps some catnip as well. :whistling: ha ha ha...

Cheers, Ron...

Ron some of the baits I use fishing for larger Channels cats are usually fresh dead fish. Chicken livers are good for the eatter sizes but the real cats eat fish. We have a fish down here that is the base forage Mudshad that when cut into strips work great. You first cut the fish from head to tail in 1 inch x 3 inch strips cutting them only when you need to to keep them from fresh. Keep them on ice but not in liquid to preserve the oils and blood. Use the whole head cutting it just behind the gills and send that out their it is the best part of the bait for the bigger fish.If shad are not available use any oily forage fish you can find even carp strips will work if that all you have. The use of live bait is more inline for flathead catfish but I have caught a few channels with live bleeding baitfish.I use a 3/0 to 5/0 circle hook tied with 30 lb mono then a 24 inch leader tied to a swivel. Above the swivel is a bead and then a 3 to 8 oz slide sinker depending on the current. Keep the bait fresh changing every 20 to 40 minutes and scatter the old bait around the fishing place.

Good luck and be prepared to become a catfishaholic.

Art

aholic you say, sounds like you'll do fine Ron. :D

Thanks Art, no comment to Glockenspiel... :whistling::angel: