I had some trees chopped down

lew

I had a couple very large poplar trees on my front lawn that I decided to have chopped down before they came thru my roof, so I called a local guy who I've used before. I always enjoy watching someone who is an expert at his trade and this guy is no exception.

He arrived at 8:30 this morning and was gone in an hour.

There was a very narrow space that these trees needed to fall thru so as not to damage some other smaller trees on either side and he dropped them like a seamstress threading a needle. The man is definetely a pro.

I hafta admit I was holding my breath until it was all over :thumbsup_anim:

Once their on the ground he cuts them into manageble lengths about 18 - 20' long then uses his boom to load them on the truck and haul them away.

I took a few pics.

Cnv0703.jpg

Cnv0707.jpg

Cnv0704.jpg

Cnv0705.jpg

Cnv0695.jpg

And when they were all done the place was clean as a whistle and you'd never know they were even here :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv0701.jpg

Just thought some may find it interesting.

Very cool Lew. And yes, I agree love watching a pro at work.

My cousin is a tree surgeon back home in England so I have some appreciation for how skillful these guys are.

Kinda like watchin' a good backhoe operator that can just graze a stake or move a rock to within inches of where it needs to be.

Place looks great.

Thanks for the comliments on the property guys.

Forgot to mention there were also 2 wells that he had to drop the trees thru besides the other things just to make the job more interesting :w00t:

GOOD MORNING LEW!

Reminds me of the time when my neighbours had a dead tree that needed to come down - so they just piled mulch and earth up around its trunk for 3-4 years. It brought it down all right - killed all the roots and the rest of the tree. I was in the shower.

BOOM.

"That doesn't sound right."

I go look out my front window and it looks like I have a forest on my front lawn. I go outside. This tree has fallen and taken off the roof of our house, though thankfully just at the corner without any actual major room damage.

We spent the rest of the day cutting firewood while the neighbour watched us from his window.

Let's just say that relations haven't been the best since then.

Glad to see you got someone a little more handy down at your end.

I have a VERY large Silver Maple in my back yard that I am considering having removed. The truck diameter has to be about 3' and it's overhanging my garage where my fishing machine is stored.

If it doesn't cost too much we will go forward with this project and then keep the fire wood to off set the cost. For the stump we are thinking of leaving the trunk about 10 tall or so and having it carved into something like a totem pole with cub bears or whatever. There is a guy at our county fair that does this so we'll have to talk to him about the cost of something like this first.

Has anyone here ever had this done ? ? ?

Bob

I have a VERY large Silver Maple in my back yard that I am considering having removed. The truck diameter has to be about 3' and it's overhanging my garage where my fishing machine is stored.

If it doesn't cost too much we will go forward with this project and then keep the fire wood to off set the cost. For the stump we are thinking of leaving the trunk about 10 tall or so and having it carved into something like a totem pole with cub bears or whatever. There is a guy at our county fair that does this so we'll have to talk to him about the cost of something like this first.

Bob

Just another thing to mow around and weedwack, GRIND IT lol

I hacked down a MAJOR weeping willow in the backyard years ago and took a pool and deck down as well.........ive never looked back since, only forwards as i cut my backyard with no obstacles. Its a wonderful thing

Lew, you rent the stump grinder and I'll grind the stumps down for ya. However there may be alittle fishing involved!

Actually Phil, I'm getting a bit tired of working around here everyday, so c'mon up and we'll forget about the stumps and just go fish'n :lol::lol:

Bob

Bob,

I had a large Silver Maple removed around 10 years ago now.......sounds a similar size. Had to come down in sections as the canopy pretty much covered the neighbours roofline. $600.00 then....including grinding the stump and roots. Very professional job done by a couple of Newfies, but not cheap.

Actually Phil, I'm getting a bit tired of working around here everyday, so c'mon up and we'll forget about the stumps and just go fish'n :lol::lol:

Am I allowed to bring just one Flippin stick? Check your PMs, always have a good time on the water with you. Quadruple chin hook sets and all! :lol:

Edited by Harrison

You are right Lew, those guys have serious skills. I was going to cut my 30' Birch Tree down myself, but decided it was not a good idea. Especially since I heard a story of a guy who attempted to cut his tree down himself, after hitting a knot the chainsaw bounced back off his nose, yikes!

I did manage to find a guy to cut my tree down, man, those guys have skill. He climbed my tree like it was nothing and had it all cut down and taken away in 45 minutes, thats with shooting the breeze with me too. The best was he did it for $200!

BTW Lew, that is a wicked front yard you have there, I mean really amazing. You really scored with a property like that.

Hey Bob, in regards to the carving I'd hesitate to on a silver maple as it is considered a soft maple which does tend to rot fast. Unless you seal it paint it and keep giving it care you'd see your masterpiece start to fall apart in a few years rathjer than decades.

Am I allowed to bring just one Flippin stick? Check your PMs, always have a good time on the water with you. Quadruple chin hook sets and all! :lol:

I've got a big boat Phil, bring all the fish'n poles you want and we'll have a blast as always. :lol:

Check your PM's and we'll set it up. :Gonefishing:

Hey Bob, in regards to the carving I'd hesitate to on a silver maple as it is considered a soft maple which does tend to rot fast. Unless you seal it paint it and keep giving it care you'd see your masterpiece start to fall apart in a few years rathjer than decades.

Yes I do realize it's a soft maple and because of that it would make a good carving trunk. And yes I would seal it every year to prevent rot.

Just another thing to mow around and weedwack, GRIND IT lol

I hacked down a MAJOR weeping willow in the backyard years ago and took a pool and deck down as well.........ive never looked back since, only forwards as i cut my backyard with no obstacles. Its a wonderful thing

Actually this trunk is shaped so well I really never have to weedwack around it.

In a few weeks the Erie County Fair is being held so I'll have to check in with the guy there that does the chainsaw carvings.

Actually this trunk is shaped so well I really never have to weedwack around it.

In a few weeks the Erie County Fair is being held so I'll have to check in with the guy there that does the chainsaw carvings.

Bob,

Here in Orangeville, any time an old hardwood tree has to come down or dies, it is carved into something really cool. These carvings are in the older neighbourhoods all over town and line the sidewalks. Really neat!

Bob,

I had a large Silver Maple removed around 10 years ago now.......sounds a similar size. Had to come down in sections as the canopy pretty much covered the neighbours roofline. $600.00 then....including grinding the stump and roots. Very professional job done by a couple of Newfies, but not cheap.

Professional newfies sounds interesting :dunno:

Bob

maybe get a few ideas from these? i've seen about 3/4 of these in person and they are awesome. im surprised nobody has mentioned anything about all the carvings in london yet :dunno:

http://www.londontourism.ca/treetrunktour/